Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one main point pro uber drivers says is that they love uber because it's flexible.

I don't buy this crap.

If you hv to make money on uber, you hv to work early mornings, evening peak hours and weekend nights. Otherwise, you will not make any money.

If you start working 10am-3pm, will you really make any money?

I buy this argument of flexibility, if I jump on uber driver app anytime and make same money regardless of time but that's not the case.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Flexibility and be your own boss? This is a blatant lie peddled by scheming Uber so Guber does not provide for minimum worker entitlements in exchange for the use of our car and all the risks we undertake. What good is it when Guber says we are driver partners but we are at the mercy of every deceiving way which Guber can come up with to manipulate riders and drivers alike. Driver partners do not have a say (not even consulted) when Guber arbitrarily cut prices down to unsustainable levels. If not "smart" in our ways, we will only drive for Guber for a pittance and make ourselves glorified working class to the detriment of our health and safety, and the basic rights to fair wages.

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
one main point pro uber drivers says is that they love uber because it's flexible.

I don't buy this crap.

If you hv to make money on uber, you hv to work early mornings, evening peak hours and weekend nights. Otherwise, you will not make any money.

I buy this argument of flexibility, if I jump on uber driver app anytime and make same money regardless of time but that's not the case.
Spot on ^

·
Banned
1,084 Posts

I don't buy this crap.

I like the flexibility, really. As a 2nd gig. Would never do it as a full time job.

I can sit at home and pick up Eats pings from my couch in the evening. 3-4 pings a night, that's $200 per week in earnings. A high $ per km rate too. Add on a couple of other mornings/nights of X and that's $400 a week or more extra income. Yeah yeah gst, car costs etc. I take them into account, but the car costs also get offset against the tax I pay on my other job. So it's hundreds of dollars extra in my pocket a week.

·
Premium Member
3,623 Posts
Flexibility is only for the part timers with a full timer job wanting to make use of the tax benefits accorded to a "business owner".

For full timers it becomes much more of a slog.

I like the flexibility, really. As a 2nd gig. Would never do it as a full time job.

I can sit at home and pick up Eats pings from my couch in the evening. 3-4 pings a night, that's $200 per week in earnings. A high $ per km rate too. Add on a couple of other mornings/nights of X and that's $400 a week or more extra income. Yeah yeah gst, car costs etc. I take them into account, but the car costs also get offset against the tax I pay on my other job. So it's hundreds of dollars extra in my pocket a week.

·
Premium Member
3,623 Posts
I would never commend anyone to take on Uber as a full time gig
Especially if having a family to support. It's still ok for people without families, who can be out and about chasing the surge any time. When you got kids to put to bed or spouses who want some sexytime and cuddles (or if they don't want you out and about at unearthly hours), the surge chasing can be seriously limited.

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
Especially if having a family to support. It's still ok for people without families, who can be out and about chasing the surge any time. When you got kids to put to bed or spouses who want some sexytime and cuddles (or if they don't want you out and about at unearthly hours), the surge chasing can be seriously limited.
True dat (apologies to Idris Elba)

·
Banned
4,250 Posts
My flexibility is limited... Only appear during surge hours at my best behaviour lol.
LOL you gotta have time on your hands and no life .

I don't buy this crap.

Hey Punjabi I totally agree with you,that means that anyone who wants to drive surge has to be available most of the day and up to after midnight.

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
Don't do it full time, treat it as your second, third line of income. Simple as that.

There's nothing special about driving a car. 80% of the population over 18 can do it.
But many do it as their full time job, for many different valid reasons. The fact drivers are being exploited even when doing only 2 hours per week (on base rates) should never be overlooked and must be addressed.

Sham contracting should not be allowed in this country, it's a very worrying American style trend spreading fast to many other industries.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts