Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a lot of threads about pricing in Uber Pool but no one has actually proved that Uber can take in more from a series of pool rides than the driver is paid. I am assuming this is true, but once again no real proof.
If this is true it appears there is a conflict with the partner agreement that could leave drivers liable for tax on money they never received. According to section 4.1 of the agreement,FARE CALCULATION AND YOUR PAYMENT " (ii) agree that payment made by User to Company (or to an Affiliate of Company acting as an agent of Company) shall be considered the same as payment made directly by User to you."
If Uber is taking in more than paying drivers but considers any user payment as a direct payment to the driver the driver might have tax liabilities on the full amount collected even though they never received the payment.
Now that uber doesn't show drivers anything other than the expected payout drivers have no way of knowing what was actually collected. To the best of my knowledge there hasn't been any change to the agreement or announcement of additional Uber fees on pool rides
Am I right?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm definitely not a tax expert but I believe tax liabilities will ultimately be based on the net profit of your business. Any gross income that Uber may report to you will ultimately need to be reconciled with the cash they actually disbursed, so any differences should be deductible business expenses. At the end of day, the 1099 issued by Uber might reveal the true extent of what they are keeping for themselves.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm definitely not a tax expert but I believe tax liabilities will ultimately be based on the net profit of your business. Any gross income that Uber may report to you will ultimately need to be reconciled with the cash they actually disbursed, so any differences should be deductible business expenses. At the end of day, the 1099 issued by Uber might reveal the true extent of what they are keeping for themselves.
This is correct. In February of this year, Uber had a tax workshop for drivers, which I went to. Folks spent more time talking to each other than listening to the speakers, who were admittedly boring as hell. At least they gave us cereal bars. But that's basically how it works: we technically are liable for the full fare Uber collects, but the cut they take (20% or 25%) is deductible and itemized on the 1099. If they do another tax workshop, I recommend going.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is correct. In February of this year, Uber had a tax workshop for drivers, which I went to. Folks spent more time talking to each other than listening to the speakers, who were admittedly boring as hell. At least they gave us cereal bars. But that's basically how it works: we technically are liable for the full fare Uber collects, but the cut they take (20% or 25%) is deductible and itemized on the 1099. If they do another tax workshop, I recommend going.
Hi UberguyMike
I think my question is why does uber collect more for a series of pool rides than a driver is paid when the agreement says that any money collected, minus their cut and any other authorized deductions, is the same as if the money was paid directly to the partner.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi UberguyMike
I think my question is why does uber collect more for a series of pool rides than a driver is paid when the agreement says that any money collected, minus their cut and any other authorized deductions, is the same as if the money was paid directly to the partner.
The agreement also says, "You are entitled to charge a fare for each instance of completed Transportation Services provided to a User that are obtained via the Uber Services ("Fare"), where such Fare is calculated based upon a base fare amount plus distance (as determined by Company using location-based services enabled through the Device) and/or time amounts, as detailed at www.uber.com/cities for the applicable Territory ("Fare Calculation"). You acknowledge and agree that the Fare provided under the Fare Calculation is the only payment you will receive in connection with the provision of Transportation Services, and that neither the Fare nor the Fare Calculation includes any gratuity." (emphasis added)

I think Uber would argue that each fare in the poolpass is $0.01 so we receive more than it collects per "fare", which keeps the company in compliance with the agreement technically. It would also argue the $40 and $75 pass cost is a fee that Uber is permitted to charge separate from our partner agreements.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it, just trying to come up with the strongest argument possible that they can respond with.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The agreement also says, "You are entitled to charge a fare for each instance of completed Transportation Services provided to a User that are obtained via the Uber Services ("Fare"), where such Fare is calculated based upon a base fare amount plus distance (as determined by Company using location-based services enabled through the Device) and/or time amounts, as detailed at www.uber.com/cities for the applicable Territory ("Fare Calculation"). You acknowledge and agree that the Fare provided under the Fare Calculation is the only payment you will receive in connection with the provision of Transportation Services, and that neither the Fare nor the Fare Calculation includes any gratuity." (emphasis added)

I think Uber would argue that each fare in the poolpass is $0.01 so we receive more than it collects per "fare", which keeps the company in compliance with the agreement technically. It would also argue the $40 and $75 pass cost is a fee that Uber is permitted to charge separate from our partner agreements.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it, just trying to come up with the strongest argument possible that they can respond with.
I'm not familiar with pool pass since we don't have that yet. I am talking straight Uberpool. If a pool ride is matched, especially if there is more than one match, people think but I can't prove, that Uber collects substantially more than is paid to the partner. You're statement is exactly it, the agreement seems to be in conflict, one says that is all you will be paid, the other says that all funds are considered collected by the partner. Uber emphasizes they only connect partners with riders and collect their commission for providing the service. If they are collecting extra funds without telling the partner or having that in the agreement it infers Uber is no longer just a technology platform to connect partners and riders but a provider of services, buying wholesale and selling retail. There must be some way this can be answered.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I helped a rider request pool and saw fare charged as $28. At the end of ride my take home was $15 after uber commission of $2. Pool is brutal.
Fudge the king!

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
Somewhere online I saw where a guy posted the receipts from his pool riders, same trip. Uber ended up with something like 70% of the total fare.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts