Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend and live together. She needs me to give her rides to and from work. I figured I might as well make some money doing so. I have guaranteed surge of 1.6x. So she requests me when I'm right next to her. I take her and I pay her back for her cost. But since I'm guaranteed 1.6x I'm still making a small profit.

My question is will Uber kick me off for doing this. how many trips can you take with the same person before they get suspicious?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm a little confused about how you are making a profit, regardless of the surge. First, the pax pays the fare (surge or no surge, doesn't matter). Then, Uber takes their 20% cut. Then, you get paid. Now, you pay your girlfriend back 100% of the fare. So, in the end, you lose the 20% that Uber takes as their cut. How are you making a profit again?

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I'm a little confused about how you are making a profit, regardless of the surge. First, the pax pays the fare (surge or no surge, doesn't matter). Then, Uber takes their 20% cut. Then, you get paid. Now, you pay your girlfriend back 100% of the fare. So, in the end, you lose the 20% that Uber takes as their cut. How are you making a profit again?
My question exactly

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I know that Uber Works a little differently in different places around the world but for me I get a guaranteed 1.6 X search for every ride I take during certain times of the day no matter what the actual surge is. If there's not a surge Uber will bump up my pay to 1.6 X surge. So if there's no surge. Uber will take o their 20% but I'm also making a profit of 40%

·
Premium Member
8,154 Posts
So I know that Uber Works a little differently in different places around the world but for me I get a guaranteed 1.6 X search for every ride I take during certain times of the day no matter what the actual surge is. If there's not a surge Uber will bump up my pay to 1.6 X surge. So if there's no surge. Uber will take o their 20% but I'm also making a profit of 40%
They will catch and deactivate you.

The odds of getting the same pax over and over again in LA must be miniscule.

Since Uber is on track to own the world, are you sure you want to get on their bad side for so little?:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ubers entire business model is based on how bad people are at math.. Rock on buddy, if you think you're making money I'm sure you are! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just keep on doing it. As long as Fuber takes its cut they are happy. And you are 20% poorer. Ohhh and let's not forget minus whatever in gas. Genius.???????????

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
They will catch and deactivate you.

The odds of getting the same pax over and over again in LA must be miniscule.

Since Uber is on track to own the world, are you sure you want to get on their bad side for so little?:)
There was a lady near me that took Uber to work every day she worked. $16 net fare. I managed to get her ping at least 4 times a week for my first 6 months that i drove and 1-3 on tne return trips. I never heard one word from Uber about it.

Now im in a much, much smaller and slower place than LA but as long as shes pinging and paying, I dont see how this is a problem.

Just make sure she isnt on your home wifi when she pings, i see no problem.

Tjen again, we are talking about Uber so who the hell really knows.

·
Premium Member
8,154 Posts
There was a lady near me that took Uber to work every day she worked. $16 net fare. I managed to get her ping at least 4 times a week for my first 6 months that i drove and 1-3 on tne return trips. I never heard one word from Uber about it.

Now im in a much, much smaller and slower place than LA but as long as shes pinging and paying, I dont see how this is a problem.

Just make sure she isnt on your home wifi when she pings, i see no problem.

Tjen again, we are talking about Uber so who the hell really knows.
I stand corrected :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is the trip some distance? I hope so because you did not mention taking into account the "booking fee."

I get a few of the same people on a regular basis because I'm out driving at 4:00am. In 20 months no one has said it word.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Let's say the ride is $10 flat without a surge. His gf pays $10. He's getting a 1.6X guarantee which means he would get $16 before fuber take their cut. Minus 20% of $16 equals $3.20. $16 - $3.20 is $12.80. After paying his gf $10 he's now made $2.80 before his gas costs and he's getting a higher ride count towards a possible surge incentive.

Now, I'm not sure what your safe ride fee is but that could put you at an even wash but you would still be getting that one extra ride towards your incentive count.

And for the record. I drive in Los Angeles and have have gotten multiple passengers multiple times.

·
Registered
130 Posts
How about drive your girlfriend to work for free. She doesn't get charged anything you become her gallant hero and pays you after work with....xxx rated action.
Seriously. The only time I've asked my lady or any of my family members take a ride through the App was for their first trips (promo code; new rider acquisition bonus for me, ride credit for them).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, after reading the post above my last msg... That makes sense. If those really are the facts then I see nothing wrong with the situation.

·
Premium Member
60,664 Posts
My girlfriend and live together. She needs me to give her rides to and from work. I figured I might as well make some money doing so. I have guaranteed surge of 1.6x. So she requests me when I'm right next to her. I take her and I pay her back for her cost. But since I'm guaranteed 1.6x I'm still making a small profit.

My question is will Uber kick me off for doing this. how many trips can you take with the same person before they get suspicious?
OF COURSE ITS LEGAL!

( if you don't get caught)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Two things wrong with this.

1. You can't use family and friends to manipulate the system for promotions.

2. You can't arrange rides before hand, basically someone coming up next to you and requesting you that way is arranging the ride, which can get you deactivated. I would just not do it, unless you don't mind getting booted.

·
Registered
79 Posts
How about drive your girlfriend to work for free. She doesn't get charged anything you become her gallant hero and pays you after work with....xxx rated action.
Why don't you take your girl on a trip 100 miles to the beach she pays and then with your surge of 1.6x guaranteed takes the profit and enjoy do the day. Repeat every day!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Let's say the ride is $10 flat without a surge. His gf pays $10. He's getting a 1.6X guarantee which means he would get $16 before fuber take their cut. Minus 20% of $16 equals $3.20. $16 - $3.20 is $12.80. After paying his gf $10 he's now made $2.80 before his gas costs and he's getting a higher ride count towards a possible surge incentive.

Now, I'm not sure what your safe ride fee is but that could put you at an even wash but you would still be getting that one extra ride towards your incentive count.

And for the record. I drive in Los Angeles and have have gotten multiple passengers multiple times.
Safe rides fee is not a wash, she also pays the 1.65 that uber keeps, so he owes the gf 11.65

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
I remember reading that Uber doesn't allow more than 6 rides from each pax per week to count for any incentive. I can't remember if it's 6 or 4 but it's atleast 4. Other than that I don't think there is an issue if you want Uber to take their cut instead of your girlfriend just paying you instead. Since she's your girlfriend it won't count as livery for insurance purposes so you don't have to worry about them not covering you if you get in an accident during a ride with her.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts