Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to get alerts/texts/pings when a surge hits a certain area. Or some type of push notification
Right now, I have to have the app open, and physically look every 2 or 3 minutes for surges.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is there a way to get alerts/texts/pings when a surge hits a certain area. Or some type of push notification
Right now, I have to have the app open, and physically look every 2 or 3 minutes for surges.
Yes. The app is called Surge Chaser. It's free for 30 days, then you pay. You can set pins for whichever areas you want notifications from and what hours you want to be notified. It also tracks surge history for those areas.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've sat surge areas for long time and receive no pings.
There might be surge in an area but it's up to the riders if they want to request a ride at upped prices or not. There's no guarantee especially in Long Island requests are so spaced out a surge usually cannot create a span large enough to have a significant chance of getting surge ride. Also depend on what neighborhood the surge is in, since in some areas people with literally sit on their app for as long it takes to pay peanuts.

It's different from NYC where a surge usually spans area with enough population so there's like 75%+ chance of getting a surge ride.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been in 3 surges yesterday, no pickups, was in them when they first started, went online in the middle
got darker red, 20 minutes later, no surge, no pings,

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think the surges on long island since launch have been mostly fake/exaggerated. They're mostly using them as a way to lure inexperienced drivers into certain areas so they have full coverage everywhere. Sometimes you'll get lucky and get a good surge, but if you notice, those only come during peak times. When you see a surge during non-peak times, rest assured it's just an attempt by Uber to have you go to that area so you can receive your non-surge fare.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have been in 3 surges yesterday, no pickups, was in them when they first started, went online in the middle
got darker red, 20 minutes later, no surge, no pings,
Just curious, What area of LI were you in?

I think the surges on long island since launch have been mostly fake/exaggerated. They're mostly using them as a way to lure inexperienced drivers into certain areas so they have full coverage everywhere. Sometimes you'll get lucky and get a good surge, but if you notice, those only come during peak times. When you see a surge during non-peak times, rest assured it's just an attempt by Uber to have you go to that area so you can receive your non-surge fare.
If a surge is, by definition, more riders than drivers; isn't it possible then that lets say 2 or 3 are looking for rides with no drivers in the area? Wouldn't that in itself create a surge? If 6-8 drivers go to the area then still only 2-3 would receive the pings for the surge ride.
Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
154 Posts
If a surge is, by definition, more riders than drivers; isn't it possible then that lets say 2 or 3 are looking for rides with no drivers in the area? Wouldn't that in itself create a surge? If 6-8 drivers go to the area then still only 2-3 would receive the pings for the surge ride.
Or am I missing something?
No, you're 100% correct. But what seems to be happening is drivers are sitting in blood red surge areas and they're getting non-surge fares. It's happened to me too. I think something else regarding surge needs to be pointed out, so I'm just going to say it. If you're in a high surge area and you receive a low surge or no surge fare, many times Uber is simply trying to rip you off. The passenger has already agreed to the surge rate, yet they want to see if you'll accept it at a lower surge rate or non-surge rate. I've tested this several times and they have attempted to screw me over on numerous ocassions. However, I have ways of finding out exactly how much the surge rate for the passenger was. For example, they're charging the customer at a 1.9 surge, yet they present the fare to you at 1.4. Stuff like that. Even if they present the fare at 1.8, they're still pocketed a 0.1 surge difference between what the passenger agreed to and what you agreed to.

This is a very sneaky company. Do NOT let them screw you. If you are in a surge area and they send you a lower surge fare or a non-surge fare, do not accept it. Just wait for the surge fare. If the surge dies, then so be it. But don't be a sucker for them.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
This is a very sneaky company. Do NOT let them screw you. If you are in a surge area and they send you a lower surge fare or a non-surge fare, do not accept it. Just wait for the surge fare. If the surge dies, then so be it. But don't be a sucker for them.
Do NOT let them screw you? LMAO. Two months in and they already screwing LI.

Do not accept nonsurge fare in very high surge area? But you run the risk of not getting any fare for another hour, what to do then? LOL.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Surge is only based on demand ...so if you sit in on the app to go down on the surge the app wont know that. The surge only turns on (red) when the rider demands a taxi and there are not enough drivers outhere so the higher the demand from riders the higher it'll go. Not if it's just raining or snowing like some may think. I've sat out on red hot maps and gotten nothing, why i don't know.. but it does happen..
There might be surge in an area but it's up to the riders if they want to request a ride at upped prices or not. There's no guarantee especially in Long Island requests are so spaced out a surge usually cannot create a span large enough to have a significant chance of getting surge ride. Also depend on what neighborhood the surge is in, since in some areas people with literally sit on their app for as long it takes to pay peanuts.

It's different from NYC where a surge usually spans area with enough population so there's like 75%+ chance of getting a surge ride.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Surge is only based on demand ...so if you sit in on the app to go down on the surge the app wont know that. The surge only turns on (red) when the rider demands a taxi and there are not enough drivers outhere so the higher the demand from riders the higher it'll go. Not if it's just raining or snowing like some may think. I've sat out on red hot maps and gotten nothing, why i don't know.. but it does happen..
That's not true. That's what uber advertises and claims but is nowhere near the truth. I agree on the red surges (1.8x+) , they only happen on high demand. But the 1.1-1.6x surges have more behind them than demand. I run this surge tracking app at my work location and every single working day , I see a surge start 15-20 minutes before people get out of work and request rides. Happens at 4 & happens at 5. Very consistent and then it increases over 1.6 when people get out and request rides.

The app knows . It even has option to let the riders know when the surge goes down if they are the ones who sit on the app. Uber will get riders at any price that they are willing to pay. Some pay more, some pay less, some try Lyft in those cases. Lyft rides get more frequent when uber surges. That's how Lyft undercuts Uber by giving rides to the cheaps.

You do not learn this on day 1. It takes over a year for some newbies to start thinking and another year to
understand these tactics. And that's all the time uber needs from a driver .

·
Registered
31 Posts
agree and well said as i experienxd this last nite. I went all tbe way iut to jones beach and rather then kill my night i was staioned at LLIR and knew what times the train woukd come and made out pretty well doinb local drop offs and back abd forth as not many drivers were there and what i saw it was myself and twonotehr guys and local car service drivers pissed we were taking there biz away at 12-1am

·
Registered
193 Posts
This is an old thread. Surges don't exist on LI anymore. There's always more drivers than customers.
Yes an old thread, but lets stop with the exaggerations Jack. While it rarely happens on weekdays, you know very well there are areas on Long Island that surge regularly on Sat night and sometimes Friday. Myself and many others have posted proof of it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes an old thread, but lets stop with the exaggerations Jack. While it rarely happens on weekdays, you know very well there are areas on Long Island that surge regularly on Sat night and sometimes Friday. Myself and many others have posted proof of it.
But, like so many of the posts on this forum, the surges are fake.

·
Premium Member
11,431 Posts
I use surge chaser which I trust, but dont trust the info they get it from which is the uber app.

My 1 year expires at the end of the summer not sure it I will renew as it never surges down here anyway.

·
Registered
151 Posts
So are you saying noone gets a surge fare on LI anymore and all the screenshots you have seen are fake?
I'm saying that Uber uses fake surges to move drivers around. They always have more than enough people out here, just not always in the right spot. I'm also saying that they have someone who works the forum under various names. They post fake earnings and try to make ride share look like a worthwhile way to make some money. That fact that someone needs to post a screenshot to prove that they are telling the truth says a lot. But, at .71 cents a mile and .17 per minute, drivers quickly learn what's real and what's fake.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm saying that Uber uses fake surges to move drivers around. They always have more than enough people out here, just not always in the right spot. I'm also saying that they have someone who works the forum under various names. They post fake earnings and try to make ride share look like a worthwhile way to make some money. That fact that someone needs to post a screenshot to prove that they are telling the truth says a lot. But, at .71 cents a mile and .17 per minute, drivers quickly learn what's real and what's fake.
So you are not denying that drivers do get surge fares sometimes? As far as drivers chasing a surge, that is foolish on their part. That never works. If a surge is a true surge (like what happens on Sat evenings), there is no need to,"chase it" you will get pinged from pretty far out. I agree driving at normal rates is pointless unless it is en route to somewhere you are going.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts