Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have up front asked Lyft this question. I offer as evidence the screenshot attached below. As most drivers, I study the map for times and locations that generate the highest demand. I've gotten up early enough to be ahead of traffic so that I could position myself right in the center of an active earning zone. The first or second request usually takes me out of an active zone, into a dead zone every single time I am online. I wrote to them today requesting no more airport rides period! I was in a sweet spot in Berkeley, do I have to tell you what happened? I got a "scheduled pick up," to Oakland International Airport, a dead zone, and with heavy traffic, its impossible to get back to the surge in time. Someone hates me at Lyft.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
Lyft sucks. No matter where I'm at, I always get pinged to pick up a pax that's 15 miles away. I gave up on it.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Algorithms aren't racist. Programmers can be. Drivers who avoid certain areas therefore causing surge in that area can be (due to imbalanced demand/supply).

but NO one on the Lyft platform is racist. something on the news said so.

me. I'm a fan of the belief that cash rules everything around me. C.R.E.A.M. get the money. regardless of the color of the hand that's giving it to me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Are you mixing up the words racism and discrimination? Or do you think that there is a part of the code that makes decisions based on your race?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have up front asked Lyft this question. I offer as evidence the screenshot attached below. As most drivers, I study the map for times and locations that generate the highest demand. I've gotten up early enough to be ahead of traffic so that I could position myself right in the center of an active earning zone. The first or second request usually takes me out of an active zone, into a dead zone every single time I am online. I wrote to them today requesting no more airport rides period! I was in a sweet spot in Berkeley, do I have to tell you what happened? I got a "scheduled pick up," to Oakland International Airport, a dead zone, and with heavy traffic, its impossible to get back to the surge in time. Someone hates me at Lyft.
duh, everything is racist, you didn't know that?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it's now racist that people in Oakland want rides more? I am not seeing the correlation between race and where people want rides...
Your comments are very revealing, I'm convinced you enjoy a different experience than I do. Look at the screenshot I provided. If I were to take a screenshot of my daily; it looks just like that no matter what I do.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Im far from stupid, I wrote what I meant. Did you see the screenshot? Thats everyday. It's no accident!
You may far from stupid, but you're not too far from paranoid if you think they wrote a racist code.
Wait, there are too many minorities around this customer, let's make them wait while we get a white guy from across town!
Look, institutionalized racism is real. But you're not going to find it written down (or coded) anywhere because racists are cowards and cowards are afraid of being caught. So they hide behind verbal communication.

The most I could see Lyft doing is to give special guarantees to some of their preferred "employees" and it may just happen that their preferred "employees" are all white. But not all white "employees" are going to get special stuff while the minorities scruff for the crumbles. That would make them too vulnerable to lawsuits, not to mention a detriment to their service.

I'm sure if you look around, a large number of Lyft drivers in every big city is from a minority group. Black, Brown, Yellow, Red or Green (some people have olive skin, ok). So if they had to automatically pick the best rides for the whites only, their customers and consequently their business will suffer.

I'm not arguing that it doesn't make sense for you to feel that you're getting screwed. I feel that way everyday at some point, but then another point comes in that makes me feel lucky. From what I read over here, the feeling of getting screwed is generalized. My feeling is that their system is barely making it day after day and the software errors keep popping all day long.

From the little I understand about software, their servers are being used to the max just to be able to pair riders and drivers in real time. Adding another decision making layer will just cost them more money to run the system. Remember, money is number one, even to racists.

I'm sure you have plenty of experience with racist people discriminating against you. But don't let that affect your sanity. Don't be looking for ghosts in the shadows because it will drive you insane. Wait for them to reveal themselves in the light, they can't hide forever.

Next time you feel slighted by the software, hit cancel. It's still your own decision to drive there or not.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Probably.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You may far from stupid, but you're not too far from paranoid if you think they wrote a racist code.

Look, institutionalized racism is real. But you're not going to find it written down (or coded) anywhere because racists are cowards and cowards are afraid of being caught. So they hide behind verbal communication.

The most I could see Lyft doing is to give special guarantees to some of their preferred "employees" and it may just happen that their preferred "employees" are all white. But not all white "employees" are going to get special stuff while the minorities scruff for the crumbles. That would make them too vulnerable to lawsuits, not to mention a detriment to their service.

I'm sure if you look around, a large number of Lyft drivers in every big city is from a minority group. Black, Brown, Yellow, Red or Green (some people have olive skin, ok). So if they had to automatically pick the best rides for the whites only, their customers and consequently their business will suffer.

I'm not arguing that it doesn't make sense for you to feel that you're getting screwed. I feel that way everyday at some point, but then another point comes in that makes me feel lucky. From what I read over here, the feeling of getting screwed is generalized. My feeling is that their system is barely making it day after day and the software errors keep popping all day long.

From the little I understand about software, their servers are being used to the max just to be able to pair riders and drivers in real time. Adding another decision making layer will just cost them more money to run the system. Remember, money is number one, even to racists.

I'm sure you have plenty of experience with racist people discriminating against you. But don't let that affect your sanity. Don't be looking for ghosts in the shadows because it will drive you insane. Wait for them to reveal themselves in the light, they can't hide forever.

Next time you feel slighted by the software, hit cancel. It's still your own decision to drive there or not.
I think what the OP was trying to imply was that because Oakland, CA has a large minority population the PrimeTime rates seem to always be occuring there. When I attempted to explain that the algorithm was not racist because more people requesting more rides makes the PT rate soar I was told my comments were "very revealing." And that I "enjoy a different experience" than the OP.

Yeah, I have a different experience....I don't always have a PT pool I can sit in.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think what the OP was trying to imply was that because Oakland, CA has a large minority population the PrimeTime rates seem to always be occuring there.
If that was the case, then it's a case of discrimination (not necessarily racism) by the Lyft drivers for not wanting to hang around some areas in Oakland.

From what I noticed, the pink squares appear when there are less than 8 drivers within 4-5 minutes of an area. There is such a zone here in LA that is pink 90% of the time. At first I thought it was like the lonely grocery store that charges more on the hood than everywhere else. But then I realized that like me, other drivers where avoiding the area and that by itself created the prolonged pink area. For the record, I'm an equal opportunity discriminater regarding what areas I don't like to hang around. I avoid both rich, poor and drunk areas for different reasons.

But I thought his complaint was about Lyft constantly taking him away from the pink area, which happens to me and others around here on a daily basis. I got a video that's mind boggling, where I'm in the middle of 3 square miles of red zone, and they ping me twice within a minute to go to another city 15 and 18 minutes away from where I was. I just can't figure out how to block the rider's names on the video, but if I do I'll post it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Some of what you have said here makes sense; but no one can persuade me that I am "paranoid," or conjuring "ghosts," or misidentifying what I legitimately experience every single day. The other day I lucked up into a dark red zone; and the algorithm freaked out! Omg lets get him outta there and in comes requests 20 to 25 minutes away. Either I have the worst luck ever on Lyft's platform; or there is undeniable racism coded in their platform.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
It's downright folly to think an algorithm is racist. If anything , it should show you that things you thought were racist were not.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts