Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Yes it's most defintily a thing, it even has an on/off switch...

For example with Hurricane Irma it's off.

no surging, 20+ minute pings.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I am almost positive it's a thing. They don't want people to jump on Lyft for cheaper and end up loyal customers.
But if they can't get a ride, they're going to pull up lyft anyway...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess the Uber has to do it for publicity reasons.
Montana has had Uber for just over a year. I'm assuming it was to keep their "free" rides, up to $20, "free". They're still trying to get everyone onboard around here. If minimum fare is over $20, which it should have been, people may have gotten spooked and decided to pay taxi prices.

An hour after the game got out, the surge rolled up, and was at 3x+ for 80% of the night.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
No surge means reduced service in high demand areas.

Like anti-price gouging laws, they simply hinder help.

I guess the Uber has to do it for publicity reasons.
What's worse publicity for uber?

Not being able to properly service an area due to there not being enough drivers (or willing drivers)?

"Well that's just unfortunate, sorry folks but this is beyond our control."

VS

A 1 legged army Veteran getting charge $50 to go 5 miles to a hurricane shelter?

"We Mercilessly jacked up the rates to ensure our high quality of service"

the PR backlash (as well as legal problems) that could come out of that.. wow...

On one hand I WOULD turn off surging during these types of events if i was uber,

However i would also set the rates at like $2.00 a mile... but that's beside the point.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
A 1 legged army Veteran getting charge $50 to go 5 miles to a hurricane shelter?

"We Mercilessly jacked up the rates to ensure our high quality of service"

the PR backlash (as well as legal problems) that could come out of that.. wow...
While I agree that would be bad PR, it shouldn't be. A company should be able to say that and the public should say, "thank you!"

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
While I agree that would be bad PR, it shouldn't be. A company should be able to say that and the public should say, "thank you!"
If they just charged $2.40 a mile all the time, they wouldn't have to worry about it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts