Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of cars in mind and I can't decide on if I want to get a Prius with more miles and age on it or a newer regular economy car with less miles. I drive 20-25 hours a week and I figure I'll put on 2000 miles a month. Looking at these two cars:
2011 Nissan Versa 97k $6000 (28/34 MPG)
2007 Prius 140k $6000 (45MPG)
I figure I'd save around $75 a month on gas going with the Prius. My question is whether or not it's worth going with the prius that's older and has more miles?

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
2008 prius I believe has a larger engine if you can find one of those

In either case a prius is twice the quality of a versa.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree. There is a reason why the Versa is pretty cheap. My office mate has one and it has been in and out of dealership for several different problems.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
2008 prius I believe has a larger engine if you can find one of those

In either case a Prius is twice the quality of a versa.
Correction is in BOLD in 1st paragraph:

In second part of 2009 Prius came as 1.8L engine instead of the standard 1.5L one. Still it is called the Gen II though. Gen III is the 2010 model that are slightly different with standard 1.8L engines to present.

I have the 2008 with 1.5L engine almost 182K miles on it.
Even 1.5L is good enough for UberX and I have had no problems hauling people around with it. My rating is 4.88.
It has a lot of room for airport runs.
Still a lot of people are surprised they are in a Prius for the first time and about half my pax ask me about it and I demystify a lot of untrue conceptions about the Prius.

At 140K miles and $6,000.00 it is a good deal. It will depreciate very slowly and the fuel savings will probably offset your depreciation.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Another fact about Prius that not everyone notices:

The Odometer reading does not do justice to the age of the engine and moving components.
About 20-30% of the time, the engine is completely shut off and the car is either coasting or being powered by the electric motor.

A great percentage of the time the Internal Combustion Engine is assisted by the electric motor when it is running and hence the synergy.

What you see 140K I see as 98K engine! I always mentally deduct 30% of the odometer reading mentally to read the true age of a Prius engine and moving parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts