Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to grab a couple rides on my way home from dropping my kids off last Sunday... First was at the very back of a trailer park that I had never really been to before and scraped the underside of my car on one of the many huge and oddly shaped speed humps and/or huge potholes. It was like a minefield of vehicle devaluation. The second rider was a clean pickup location but when I left the drop off point I was in a hurry with the sun in my eyes and found a huge break in the asphalt scraping the underside of my car again. First was $6 with no tip and the second was $11 with no tip. I'm really careful with my vehicle usually but these pavement irregularities got by me that day. I was scratching my head on my way back home wondering if I should hang up my Lyft spurs. I only do it to fill time and make a little money on the side. This was the first time I racked up so much damage in such a short time lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not something I would probably fix since replacing floorboards can't be cheap but for a rig I wanted to own for many years to come its a concern now that there may be a large amount of rust that occurs as a result of the scraping. I'm afraid to jack the car up to look but everything mechanically still seams to work. If I were selling/trading it soon it wouldn't be as big of a deal to me. I guess I should stop crying about it and just get it on a lift then spray some rust inhibiting paint on any exposed metal parts.

·
Premium Member
5,096 Posts
It's not something I would probably fix since replacing floorboards can't be cheap but for a rig I wanted to own for many years to come its a concern now that there may be a large amount of rust that occurs as a result of the scraping. I'm afraid to jack the car up to look but everything mechanically still seams to work. If I were selling/trading it soon it wouldn't be as big of a deal to me. I guess I should stop crying about it and just get it on a lift then spray some rust inhibiting paint on any exposed metal parts.
I didn't think about rust. Florida cars don't rust

I view my car as a tool, with which to make money. Recently I got bumped in a parking lot. The bumper cover was messed up. I popped it back into shape screwed it back in place, patched the two cuts and spray painted it. Close up it looks like hell, but step back a little and it's fine

What I didn't realize is that the headlight assembly was cracked. Water got in and shorted out something in there. Ford wanted $350 for the bulb and $850 for the assembly and the number cover that I "fixed" had to come off to replace everything. Instead I bought LED bibles wired them directly from the battery with an in line fuse and a toggle switch in the car. Total spent $125

So if I was you I'd get that car on a lift protect any exposed metal and go back to work

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
4 years of Uber driving gave me driving anxiety because I got into 2 accidents while doing it. I don’t know how I drove before with people on board . I try not to drive now in general . Lyft and Uber stickers are in the trash for few months now.
But yes your car will take a beating while driving back and forth , back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. Because that’s what you literally do the whole day

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
I was going to grab a couple rides on my way home from dropping my kids off last Sunday... First was at the very back of a trailer park that I had never really been to before and scraped the underside of my car on one of the many huge and oddly shaped speed humps and/or huge potholes. It was like a minefield of vehicle devaluation. The second rider was a clean pickup location but when I left the drop off point I was in a hurry with the sun in my eyes and found a huge break in the asphalt scraping the underside of my car again. First was $6 with no tip and the second was $11 with no tip. I'm really careful with my vehicle usually but these pavement irregularities got by me that day. I was scratching my head on my way back home wondering if I should hang up my Lyft spurs. I only do it to fill time and make a little money on the side. This was the first time I racked up so much damage in such a short time lol.
How fast were you driving for potholes to do measurable damage to your vehicle? Damage to your vehicle is a result of negligent driving, and could have occurred even if you weren't on a rideshare run.

As so eloquently stated by @oldfart, I view my vehicle as a tool to make money, not as an asset whose value I wish to preserve long term. Not sure how much value you'll lose from that when you choose to trade in your vehicle in a couple of years, but I'd guess that there wouldn't be any difference at all. Quit worrying and work it.

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Yeah if you do this for a while you will damage your vehicle one way or another. It is just a matter of luck and time no matter how good of a driver you are. In nearly three years I have had the following:

1. Wasn't paying attention and hit a curb really hard. Scrapped my front passenger side rim up really bad.

2. Block of concrete fell off a dump truck on I-4 and bounced off the ground hitting my roof and putting in a huge dent along with a smaller dent. Had to to use touchup paint. Still noticeable unfortunately. I'm not spending $2000+ to fix it properly.

3. While on the interstate a temperature gauge with a spike (from a old truck) skewered my front bumper and put a hole it in. Months later I found out that underneath the bumper it also pierced the hidden area of my headlight assembly so water was getting in there and causing the LED to short out. This was a really freak thing but it shows the type of stuff you have to deal with as you drive way more than the average person.

4. Had a spring breaker on a rented scooter slam in the back of my car because he wasn't paying attention. Did a bit of damage to the rear bumper. Had to fix it with touchup paint. Good as new now pretty much.

5. Lots of paint chips on the front hood from driving on the interstate. I had to use lots of touchup paint. Looks good mostly but at the right angle you can see it.

...and all in all I'd say I've been pretty lucky. You definitely do not want to do this if you are picky about your car and cannot take any cosmetic damage.

PS- as you can see, you need to get some properly matching touchup paint for your vehicle if you are going to keep doing this. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,096 Posts
Yeah if you do this for a while you will damage your vehicle one way or another. It is just a matter of luck and time no matter how good of a driver you are. In nearly three years I have had the following:

1. Wasn't paying attention and hit a curb really hard. Scrapped my front passenger side rim up really bad.

2. Block of concrete fell off a dump truck on I-4 and bounced off the ground hitting my roof and putting in a huge dent along with a smaller dent. Had to to use touchup paint. Still noticeable unfortunately. I'm not spending $2000+ to fix it properly.

3. While on the interstate a temperature gauge with a spike (from a old truck) skewered my front bumper and put a hole it in. Months later I found out that underneath the bumper it also pierced the hidden area of my headlight assembly so water was getting in there and causing the LED to short out. This was a really freak thing but it shows the type of stuff you have to deal with as you drive way more than the average person.

4. Had a spring breaker on a rented scooter slam in the back of my car because he wasn't paying attention. Did a bit of damage to the rear bumper. Had to fix it with touchup paint. Good as new now pretty much.

5. Lots of paint chips on the front hood from driving on the interstate. I had to use lots of touchup paint. Looks good mostly but at the right angle you can see it.

...and all in all I'd say I've been pretty lucky. You definitely do not want to do this if you are picky about your car and cannot take any cosmetic damage.

PS- as you can see, you need to get some properly matching touchup paint for your vehicle if you are going to keep doing this. :wink:
So in 3 years except that headlight thing, nothing but but normal wear and tear. Corrected with a little touch up paint

I expect to junk my car after 3 years of this and buy another one. But If I have the good luck you've had maybe ill just drop in a rebuilt engine

How did you fix the headlight? I had a similar problem with an HID light. Water got in and gave the ballast a bath. Turns out no one would fix it they all wanted to replace the whole assembly $1200 in parts plus labor. I "fixed"it myselff for $125

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
How did you fix the headlight? I had a similar problem with an HID light. Water got in and gave the ballast a bath. Turns out no one would fix it they all wanted to replace the whole assembly $1200 in parts plus labor. I "fixed"it myselff for $125
LOL I also "fixed" it. I took off the bumper and used some duct tape on the inside to try to help prevent water from getting in as much. Then I did the same at the assembly (it was punctured where it isn't visible since it's hidden by the bumper). To my surprise over 1.5 years later it is still holding up! My stepfather laughed at me and told me I should have atl least used waterproof tape but I just used what I had laying around.

They also wanted me to get a whole assembly. The dealer quoted around $500 installed. I found I could get aftermarket parts for about $200 from Amazon though and do it myself in about 30 minutes. That's plan B should the duct tape not work in the future. :wink:

BTW for you, I read online that some people just made a hole at the bottom so the water could drain out. Seems kind of risky though due to condensation. In my case it wasn't an option due to the design of the assembly.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
How fast were you driving for potholes to do measurable damage to your vehicle? Damage to your vehicle is a result of negligent driving, and could have occurred even if you weren't on a rideshare run.

As so eloquently stated by @oldfart, I view my vehicle as a tool to make money, not as an asset whose value I wish to preserve long term. Not sure how much value you'll lose from that when you choose to trade in your vehicle in a couple of years, but I'd guess that there wouldn't be any difference at all. Quit worrying and work it.
i saw a guy one time p/u 4 heffers in his nissan sentra, as he was driving down the road he hit some railroad tracks,his car bottomed out, and took out his muffler system? left it on the road, But as a true ride share guy he just kept going, his car was loud as %#%#, i wonder if those guys in his car tipped him?jmo

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
i saw a guy one time p/u 4 heffers in his nissan sentra, as he was driving down the road he hit some railroad tracks,his car bottomed out, and took out his muffler system? left it on the road, But as a true ride share guy he just kept going, his car was loud as %#%#, i wonder if those guys in his car tipped him?jmo
They probably 1*'d him and then made a report for vehicle quality and that he was impaired.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
My first accident was when a young lady behind me didn't stop. I was in middle lane, avoiding her was not possible. Got deactivated right away. Second accident was my fault . Statistically the more you drive the more possible you get yourself in some kind of accident.
Btw, I am still looking for a better job than I have now and Uber add popped up. Look at the description, it might seem normal to you. It says you will "help people get around" like you're doing a good thing for someone. But 2-3 years ago they were running "make money ! " type of advertising. So it went from $90000K a year to $20/h to "help people"
Azure Font Screenshot Material property Parallel

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
So in 3 years except that headlight thing, nothing but but normal wear and tear. Corrected with a little touch up paint

I expect to junk my car after 3 years of this and buy another one. But If I have the good luck you've had maybe ill just drop in a rebuilt engine

My daughter wrecked her Focus and damaged the headlight, water was getting in and shorting out, same as you. I ended up drilling hole in bottom of headlight for water to drain and haven't had an issue since.

Reactions: 1974toyota
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.