Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems crazy that so many riders are mis-placing pickup pins. Is the passenger app that hard to use? When I first started, I suggested to a few passengers that they pay attention to pin placement (I called and drove to them) and they sometimes got very defensive about it. (Oh I know how to place a pin buddy, you must have screwed up). So I no longer call , I drive to the pin wait 5 then cancel rider no show if they don't show up. I don't feel like dealing with it, I always make a point to drive to the address listed on the pickup pin as close as I can get my car while staying on the road.

I would not mind calling, but it just seems a recipe for disaster if I have to call and then try to explain to the passenger "well I did drive to the place you sent me so I could pick you up, and the app did notify you when I arrived at the pickup destination you requested". Does anyone still bother calling? I assume it will just be a low rating at best anyway so I assume I am better off cancelling with a passenger no-show.

·
Premium Member
4,920 Posts
The second biggest occurrence of less than 5 star ratings after surge priced trips is trips where the pickup location was wrong. If your rating is on the borderline of being deactivated, do not try to find where the pax is if the pin is wrong. You can't afford to take these pax rating wise.

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
Once and a while I will send a text before I even roll... like when the pin is in the ocean, the center of a freeway, or the center of a shopping mall.

If the pax does not respond FAST with a location I believe... I just cancel "wrong address" and stay put. If the address looks plausible I drive to the pin and wait 5 IF there is good parking... otherwise if I find no toes on the curb I just keep driving.... cancel "no show".. too many X pings in LA to screw around with the losers.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The second biggest occurrence of less than 5 star ratings after surge priced trips is trips where the pickup location was wrong. If your rating is on the borderline of being deactivated, do not try to find where the pax is if the pin is wrong. You can't afford to take these pax rating wise.
I bet this is a big reason my ratings slid so much when I first started.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
You know how annoying it was when riders asked you "How long have you been driving for Uber?". Well I'm sure they got sick of my question of "I'm just curious, did you enter an address or just use a pinpoint?". The most common answer was "I dunno, I just pushed the button". Chicago.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
It seems crazy that so many riders are mis-placing pickup pins. Is the passenger app that hard to use? When I first started, I suggested to a few passengers that they pay attention to pin placement (I called and drove to them) and they sometimes got very defensive about it. (Oh I know how to place a pin buddy, you must have screwed up). So I no longer call , I drive to the pin wait 5 then cancel rider no show if they don't show up. I don't feel like dealing with it, I always make a point to drive to the address listed on the pickup pin as close as I can get my car while staying on the road.

I would not mind calling, but it just seems a recipe for disaster if I have to call and then try to explain to the passenger "well I did drive to the place you sent me so I could pick you up, and the app did notify you when I arrived at the pickup destination you requested". Does anyone still bother calling? I assume it will just be a low rating at best anyway so I assume I am better off cancelling with a passenger no-show.
My 80 year old mother could figure out Uber/Lyft's app and isn't too lazy to enter an address. Meghan's and Ashlay's on the iphone Daddy Plan though? Not so much.

·
25,762 Posts
The stick will not always drop where you try to make it drop. This is one reason why I hate technology so much. Technology is supposed to be our servant. This means that technology is supposed to do what I tell it. It is not supposed to be Kipling's Rum-Tum-Tugga, and do "as [it] do-do and there's no doing anything about it".

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
The only thing hard is making the pax give a shit about placing the pin at the right location.
Why do you guys assume that the pax is "placing" a pin? I think what is happening is that the app tries to figure out their location and the pax assumes the app knows better and goes with it. Uber doesn't educate the pax that this piece of the app is terribly inconsistent.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
You know how annoying it was when riders asked you "How long have you been driving for Uber?". Well I'm sure they got sick of my question of "I'm just curious, did you enter an address or just use a pinpoint?". The most common answer was "I dunno, I just pushed the button". Chicago.
if they are tired of hearing it then perhaps they should enter an address or a place manually, it would be easier for them in the long run.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah Emp9 , that is my thought. Usually the PAX is at a business ( Bar or Hotel, whatever) so they could ask someone for the address. Also a have had a few guys, misplace a pin ( I know it's easy to do) and they immediately call me and help me locate them. If they are courteous enough to call me, I will do my best to get to them. Once I told a rider "hey that's pretty far, Ill just cancel no charge and you can select a new driver that's closer". But if they let me wait at a pin like a jerkoff for 6 minutes, cancel no-show.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
yeah Emp9 , that is my thought. Usually the PAX is at a business ( Bar or Hotel, whatever) so they could ask someone for the address. Also a have had a few guys, misplace a pin ( I know it's easy to do) and they immediately call me and help me locate them. If they are courteous enough to call me, I will do my best to get to them. Once I told a rider "hey that's pretty far, Ill just cancel no charge and you can select a new driver that's closer". But if they let me wait at a pin like a jerkoff for 6 minutes, cancel no-show.
I've told people numerous times when there were pick-up problems with a pinpoint to just pick an address off a building the next time. But I'm sure most are too stupid to find out what street they're on, or even what city they're in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bet this is a big reason my ratings slid so much when I first started.
Yup. Same exact thing has happened to me. I went from 5 to 4.8 cuz pax was at a hotel in need of ride to airport. I made the mistake of calling said pax, he had no idea Where he was, wanted me there in 1 minute so he wouldn't miss his flight.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One jerkoff told me "I'm at the extended stay next door" sorry my pin is wrong. I turn out the parking lot, and there were literally three different extended stays complexes arranged in a bug hub. I assumed it was a long airport run, so I called again, and collected Einstein .. it was a 6 dollar run to the grocery store <sigh>

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup. Same exact thing has happened to me. I went from 5 to 4.8 cuz pax was at a hotel in need of ride to airport. I made the mistake of calling said pax, he had no idea Where he was, wanted me there in 1 minute so he wouldn't miss his flight.
Live and learn, cancel that shit unless you really need the $. It will always cause a problem. Uber has created a system where it's very painful to potentially complete a fare and upset a customer, but not painful to cancel and let them miss a flight.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Once and a while I will send a text before I even roll... like when the pin is in the ocean, the center of a freeway, or the center of a shopping mall.

If the pax does not respond FAST with a location I believe... I just cancel "wrong address" and stay put. If the address looks plausible I drive to the pin and wait 5 IF there is good parking... otherwise if I find no toes on the curb I just keep driving.... cancel "no show".. too many X pings in LA to screw around with the losers.
I would've thought you'd get all excited if the rider was in the ocean! :D

BTW is that Bruce the Shark from "finding Nemo"?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts