Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Use your phone for other purposes, such as reading a Kindle App, watching YouTube? And then when you get a ping, you can stop what you were doing and accept the ride? Someone told me it was possible, but I wanted to see if anyone has actually been able to do it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes, you can leave the driver app running in the background. A request will almost always override whatever is in front. Also, the app itself will ask you with a popup every so often if you want to stay online.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did notice that, if you use the Uber navigation, listening to music in the background in between fares will somehow conflict.

For example, I was listening to music the other night before I got my first ping. When I got the ping, I accepted and turned on navigation to get to the rider. But even though I was no longer listening to music (the music app was actually manually closed and dismissed), I couldn't get the verbal directions from the Uber app. I had to log out then back in for it to work.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I did notice that, if you use the Uber navigation, listening to music in the background in between fares will somehow conflict.

For example, I was listening to music the other night before I got my first ping. When I got the ping, I accepted and turned on navigation to get to the rider. But even though I was no longer listening to music (the music app was actually manually closed and dismissed), I couldn't get the verbal directions from the Uber app. I had to log out then back in for it to work.
POST # 7/clwilla: W H O A, there C.L.
There is NO BLUEGRASS
growing within 2000 miles of that
Avatar Photograph...unless in NZ.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I do this all the time- I often park between rides and use my phone to read email, messages, etc while the driver app is running. I check every few minutes to make sure I'm still online and only go offline if I am taking a break to eat, get gas, or use the bathroom or don't want to drive any more.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'll pull over and read a book or watch Netflix. Figured that if we're not getting paid for any downtime (never expected to), might as well use it as my personal time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
On my cell if I minimize the Uber app to the taskbar up top, after a few minutes it will beep and ask if I want to stay online... I notice a lot of issues trying to keep the app open and do other things on my cell.... I bought a $49 tablet and leave my cell open as a wifi hotspot and do non Uber activities on my tablet

·
Premium Member
6,950 Posts
I do this all the time- I often park between rides and use my phone to read email, messages, etc while the driver app is running. I check every few minutes to make sure I'm still online and only go offline if I am taking a break to eat, get gas, or use the bathroom or don't want to drive any more.
I've learned to stay online during pit stops. I can't tell you how many pings I've gotten while taking care of my business.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
You can get a tablet from T-Mobile for $10 a month with 5gigs of data.

It's an LG V496. It's not fancy, but it gets the job done and plays most today's games.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts