Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gryft recently offered me $780 if I amassed 70 rides in a week @ 90% AR. I've read here (and on the chaotic Lyft forum) about how Gryft tries to keep drivers from achieving their last few qualifying rides, but my problem is at the other end of the week.

More often than not, I can barely decipher where the Gryft pickup is if it's in DT and I'm already nearby.

After I accept the ping, the Gryft pickup screen typically appears so zoomed in that I can't recognize the surrounding blocks and get my bearings. If I'm within a block or two, Google Maps will be instantly tell me I've already arrived, even before my car has started moving toward the pickup, so I can't see any route to the pickup displayed.

If I've been parked when the ping arrives, every nav app seems to lose my compass orientation, so most of the time, when I start following the indicated route, it turns out Gryft thinks I was pointing 180° from my actual heading. After driving a block, the route indicator shows me traveling *away* from the pickup, so I have to make a U-turn.

I actually canceled my first 6 Gryft rides in DT after accepting them because I couldn't figure out along the way how to find them. I've been so frustrated with Gryft that I'm reluctant to use it DT anymore.

The problem is the same with Gryft Nav (based on Google Maps). Waze is always hard to figure out, because you can't re-orient the map from north being always up.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
You need to experiment with the settings of Lyft, Waze and Google maps and come up with a combination of settings that work for the way your brain works. Plus, you need a compass that is not dependant on your GPS on your phone to reference when your GPS goes wonky, which it will in any areas that don’t have clear line of sight to a large area of open sky.

Every GPS/nav app has settings that can lock or unlock North-up orientation.

Now do yourself and everyone else who posts here a favor and stop asking questions (I’m referring to your other posts) that give away prime driving areas and times to the untold number of lurkers who might otherwise not be in the know. That’s why you’re not getting decent responses to your questions - you’re publicly shooting yourself (and everyone else who participates here) in the foot. Not everyone appreciates the humor in that.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
the best thing you can do is try to memorize the city. I can find any spot in the city by just seeing the address as I assume most other longer term drivers can. it doesn't take all that long. try turning the voice way down low on the gps to help the process.

·
Banned
1,564 Posts
I pull over and call the pax right away. I usually do not have a problem with this, but occasionally I do have an issue with the immediate ping. A quick phone call with identifying landmarks has always landed the fare, and they usually move to me. If they come off stupid on the phone, I just cut bait and run.

You can move the pickup map, and expand or contract it for clarity.

·
Registered
961 Posts
You should see the shit they are trying to send out to the drivers. The Android beta is turning in to a slot machine. The tone at the end of the ride sounds like a slot machine and the earnings numbers spin like a slot machine tumbler. Irony kills me. The rolling banner disappeared after one day. That was annoying. Drive DT for a better chance of a ride, Were looking for a ride for you.... This may take up to 15 minutes....At night it flickered...You are all welcome. The sound thing is still a problem BTW.

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
I wish it just would tell me neighborhood
I just wish it would tell me miles and not minutes.

I think it should play viva los vegas every time you start the ride. Really loud through the Bluetooth.
When I don't get a ping for a while and when I do get that first ping, that song does come up in my head

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
70 rides for $780 guaranteed is like $11.14 a ride average for all the opportunities to take whatever comes your way to keep that 90% acceptance rate up versus surgically working the system to aim for prime time / surge. It's a guarantee, but your mileage may vary (albeit it will run miles on the car.)

It's not standardized, either:
Lyft has handed me something like $210 for 20 rides ( $ 10.50 / ride avg.)
and also $230 for 25 rides ( $9.20 / ride avg.)
and this last week handed me a $420 guarantee for 35 rides ( $12 / ride avg.) Kind of cute how it's $420 for stoner weekend... someone was smart there.

I think Lyft WILL make it tougher to score that ride count when you near the finish line, but it might just have been luck. I do not believe optimistically that some algorithm kicked to "reward this driver with longer and better-paying rides" when this game about hitting a certain number of rides and a barrier is put up against selecting rides carefully. To me I took it that the best approach for accomplishing a weekly guarantee offer was clicking off riders one by one as quickly as possible.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
--
OK, I'll even be so bold to give this info:

1) I was offered the $420 / 35 ride guarantee.
2) I put in approx. 20 hours on the road this past week and actually hit the 35 rides.
3) For a solid $420, minus $40 in gas alone, that is $380. $380 divided by 20 hours is a straight $19 / hour in rough net pay. This doesn't add in tips, which bumps up the per hour amount.
3a) The $/mile rate seems like crap. The mileage total was over 300 miles onto the car driving around and driving to people - which isn't calculated in the true "net income" numbers on line 3. The $/mile pencils out to roughly $0.78 / mile because of deadheading and driving to pick up points.
4) Those last six rides were expanded out - blown out - with lengthier-than-average rides. One would have been a beautiful unicorn if it had PT / surge applied. Think about that.
5) I saw the posts about people excited by surge, but this Lyft offer kept me psychologically pinned to Lyft --- just the kind of "company man" loyally that's likely desired. I had a big frowny face reading post-fact reading about a couple of the Uber surges that I didn't act on.
5b) I was satisfied psychologically to have hit the guarantee, but know that for 20 hours of work I might have been able to make out like a bandit operating surgically with a lower acceptance rate.
6) This acceptance rate essentially required me to accept any ping that showed up OR go offline. Lyft Line rides were -desired- because every additional rider trip upped the number of cumulative rides. Even though I did a bit of strategy work to dive offline and deadhead to hotspots (not saying where - think about it), I found myself more vulnerable than usual.
7) While I had motivation to "complete this Pavlovian mission," it really wore me out being almost constantly "on."
8) I like talking about myself.
9) If any Lyft employees are reading this and saying "look at how this worked out, check out this feedback! The guy actually did it!" -- consider this: Because the goal is tied to hitting a number to receive a guaranteed dollar figure, in effort to accumulate rides I was driving longer and later than usual and by the later hours I was driving tired. Not cool on my part, but predictably others will probably do the same if they are trying to hit a numbers target.

So... is it worth it? Not exactly. Sort of. The only prime reason to aim for a weekly guarantee might only be because it is guaranteed.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
--

4) Those last six rides were expanded out - blown out - with lengthier-than-average rides. One would have been a beautiful unicorn if it had PT / surge applied. Think about that.
uaranteed.
the last time i had a guarantee like this I was going to take gryft for about $200. On the last day, a Sunday, I had 6 $20+ rides in a row. Luckily I could afford to cancel some rides so I stopped taking them. I drove to an area where I was the only driver and had a friend request a super short ride for the last ride for the guarantee. In 3 years, I've never had so many high paying rides in a row before that or since that.

·
Banned
6,758 Posts
the last time i had a guarantee like this I was going to take gryft for about $200. On the last day, a Sunday, I had 6 $20+ rides in a row. Luckily I could afford to cancel some rides so I stopped taking them. I drove to an area where I was the only driver and had a friend request a super short ride for the last ride for the guarantee. In 3 years, I've never had so many high paying rides in a row before that or since that.
Ant people are doing that with Airport rematch. quick min ride to the airport... rematch

·
Registered
255 Posts
Google Maps has been really screwy with me DT lately. Today it showed me on either 1st or 3rd while I was on 2nd. I'm not sure because I only glanced at it once or twice while driving. Thankfully DT is really easy to navigate. Just memorize the entrances/exits for I-5 and 99 and you're set!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts