Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
4,154 Posts
With the slow season coming up for both TNC and taxi drivers in Las Vegas, I thought it would be helpful for us to share our favorite creative budget recipes.

Here are some of my favorites:

A glass of water makes for both a filling and satisfying meal.

Ramen noodles can be split into two meals to stretch things out: noodles and a later cup of broth.

For your "splurge day" many local gas stations have two hot dogs for a dollar! Make sure to get the ones they just put on the cooker as the longer they cook, the more of the grease is released and every calorie counts when you are trying to survive this season of lean. Make sure to fill your pockets with ketchup packets for the next recipe and you can eat for days on just the one dollar. If you plan things out well, you will be at one of the gas stations that have veggies that you can pile on to get a vitamin!

The ketchup can later be mixed with hot water to make something that can only be described as nothing-like-tomato soup.

Invite yourself along when others are eating out (version 1). Say you aren't hungry and get a glass of water with a lemon. This is free! Add twenty or so packets of sugar (also free!) and you have free lemonade!!! I am not a nutritionist, but I bet you can get nearly 10% of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin C with this simple life hack!

Version 2 of going out to eat with friends starts out the same: Say you aren't hungry. No one can finish American restaurant serving sizes, so you get leftovers!!!

Obviously fill pockets with ketchup and sugar packets for later meals. If you have sufficient luck (think positive!!!), you can score some jelly packets.

Please share your creative culinary ideas!
Why is so slow in winter season, less pax or more drivers?
If you Uberx drivers are worried about the slow winter months I would suggest copying and sending this email to Uber. I just sent it. ENJOY!

Just writing in to find out if you will be cutting rates again this year? Ride requests have dropped off after the holiday season and I was hoping you were planning on cutting rates again! As you know lower rates mean more riders and more riders means more money for me!! I just can't see how riders can continue to afford the $.75 a mile rate here in Detroit. In addition the cost of fuel is much lower this year. No sense on letting me enjoy lower fuel prices with out a rate cut. I would suggest cutting rates to around $.50 a mile this winter. I know I could make much more money with all the extra requests for rides I would get. Just think, $.50 minus the 28% commission for newer drivers!!! Wow. That's like, um... A lot! Can't wait.

I know with the large population of middle eastern and African immigrants here in Detroit there will always be plenty of drivers know matter what the rate. Of course they don't speak or read English but fortunately that isn't a requirement to drive Uberx.

This is all sarcasm. Figured I would tell you because I am sure you would be unable to sense it. I quit driving Uberx one year ago when you made the last ludicrous rate cut.

Anyway, I know you won't read this and I am eagerly awaiting my canned response.

Sent from my iPhone
noticing the last few days have been exceptionally slow for UE. I recently started and work part time, mostly evenings and weekends. Barely getting any orders despite dinner hours. Anybody know if there are traditionally slow times or seasons? I wouldn’t think so given the nature of the industry. After all, everybody needs to eat!
Anyone experiencing a drop in demand because this always the slow season

· Premium Member
2021 Chevy Bolt EV
5,725 Posts
Further north, I just experienced the slowest week since I started driving (not delivering) in 2016.

It's not just that there are more drivers. There is literally a dearth of people needing rides. I base my conjecture on the fact that few radar trips are advertised.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
January will be brutal for earnings. This is a very slow month typically.
So... December is almost over so ladies and gentlemen you all better grind this next couple of weeks to make extra $$$$ to compensate for January.
To me it ALWAYS slows down in January, I find myself having to pull more hours on the road to match what I make other times of the year.
so I have never driven on a January, but it has been extremely slow out there, I live close to Hollywood, I’m only 15 min away from Hollywood if there’s no traffic, and not even when I’m in Hollywood/West Hollywood/Beverly hills area, is still very slow,
I got about 2 dozen friends who work catering, bar tending, restaurants and some strippers and they’ve all told me business has been slow/empty since Christmas came around.

Seems like it isn’t just us drivers dealing with slow business.
Has anyone also noticed a considerable slow down since the Holidays?
Okay I understand January slow, but in the past half-hour alone in the San Diego Airport
Last January was worse than the one before and this one is worse than last year. We like to think is the case but the reality is, it's just real real slow this time of year.
I’m equally amazed who slow it became in January (normally slow historically), the Omnicron surge hit us hard.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
Explain, please. Radar is new here and I don't have it fully wired.
Trip Radar is deployed only when demand is outstripping acceptance. IOW, trip is offered to ant A who ignores/declines, then to ant B who reacts same. Only now it goes to TR.

So imagine how few trips even get to TR when the ants are aplenty and snatching up all the sugar granules tossed in their direction.

Short version:

low demand + plentiful supply = no TR

· Premium Member
2021 Chevy Bolt EV
5,725 Posts
Trip Radar is deployed only when demand is outstripping acceptance. IOW, trip is offered to ant A who ignores/declines, then to ant B who reacts same. Only now it goes to TR.

So imagine how few trips even get to TR when the ants are aplenty and snatching up all the sugar granules tossed in their direction.

Short version:

I don't doubt you in that is one way TR may play out. However, when drivers outstrip riders is it not a perfect time to deploy TR? The more drivers there are, the greater the chance of some idiot accepting a lowball offer. It would be leaving money on the table if Uber is not activating TR during times of high driver to rider ratios.

· Administrator
16,529 Posts
The Christmas Eggnog effect.

People go on vacation.

They eat a lot.

They buy Christmas Trees.

They buy tons of presents.

They spend tons and tons and tons of money.

Our sales are usually 20-25% credit cards. For last couple weeks it's been more like 50/50.

Things should pick up around first couple weeks of February when the income tax refunds start hitting the banks.

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
For me in my core delivery area, it has been slow but the money has still been decent. I have just noticed much longer wait times during off peak where I had to just park and shut down. It is nice to take a break once in awhile.

· Premium Member
846 Posts
In my areas the trips are bountiful and plenty... ...ping after ping (literally) as it always is......but the pay has been dropped significantly for the pings...there are still a couple good offers but most are 1/4 of what they normally are..

· Premium Member
3,909 Posts

Short version:

If being bombarded by trip radar this can actually be seen by the driver, offered a trip we ignore it a half a second later it comes up in trip radar.

· Premium Member
3,909 Posts
Another thing that pisses me off about the trip radar, occasionally I will see a trip offer to me and it's a decent trip I accept it I see the acceptance thing happening then suddenly it'll say it was matched to another driver then I quickly check the trip radar history the same trip that was offered to me directly was given to somebody in trip radar, why offered to me directly if it was already a trip radar.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
why offered to me directly if it was already a trip radar.
TR is a classic example of a new software feature that was not yet ready for primetime yet executives told the code monkeys to ship it out anyway. I've worked in software development shops before and can say with certainty that this is a textbook case of something approximately 3/4 baked being deployed to a production environment just because an executive responsible for revenue generation said to push it out it anyway. Nearly two decades in different software companies teaches one some dirty little secrets.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts