Uber Drivers Forum banner

I live in or near Hartford county and do ridesharing mostly in

• Hartford County

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Hartford County only during an expected surge or good promotion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In the rest of Connecticut, where the rates are better, outside of Hartford County

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Don't live in or near hartford County or don't Care

Votes: 2 28.6%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Most of those who live and drive in the City of Hartford, the surrounding County, and nearby areas, already know that the rates for Uber and Lyft within Hartford County average 10%-20% lower than in the rest of Connecticut. I believe UberEats in Hartford has similar lower rates. :( See
https://uberpeople.net/threads/lower-rates-for-nyc-suburbs.179087/

The question is why drive Hartford county at all if, as a CT driver, you are also authorized for the rest of CT where rates are higher? Are the surges more frequent and intense? Hartford has lots of special events like concerts and sporting events. I know that Uber often runs promotions around Hartford, but those only seem to make Hartford temporarily equivalent to the rest of Connecticut, but not better.

Speculating on the reasons why Uber/Lyft charges less in Hartford may be interesting, but does nothing to change the fact. Hartford appears to"buck" the general trend in larger cities (like Boston and NYC), where increased competition for a large pool of affluent riders drives up the prices.

Selected related threads:
If live and drive in or near Hartford County then please answer the Poll and reply with your reasons.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Supply and demand. Uber paired up with the Urban League, Capital Workforce Partners and a few other organizations to recruit drivers. It was well intentioned, but they didn't realize what a bad deal it is (i.e. believed Uber propaganda). Uber gave them nothing other than a pizza party and some water bottles, but there were lots of recruits. Now another push with Uber Eats. Either can work if you have limited income and access to a vehicle. It also applies nicely for EITC (Earned Income Tax Credit). If you are smart and gaming the system it can work. For most, though, it is yet another ruse.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Supply and demand. Uber paired up with the Urban League, Capital Workforce Partners and a few other organizations to recruit drivers. It was well intentioned, but they didn't realize what a bad deal it is (i.e. believed Uber propaganda). Uber gave them nothing other than a pizza party and some water bottles, but there were lots of recruits. Now another push with Uber Eats. Either can work if you have limited income and access to a vehicle. It also applies nicely for EITC (Earned Income Tax Credit). If you are smart and gaming the system it can work. For most, though, it is yet another ruse.
While I appreciate your information and perspective, you did not answer the actual questions: Do you, personally drive for Uber in Hartford County? If so, then what is your experience and rational considering the pay discrepancy with the rest of CT?

There is support available online for your explanation in 2015 here in the Hartford Courant, in Uber's Newsroom, and a Channel 6 news report (below).

To be fair, employment is more difficulty in minority communities for a variety of reasons. Even with all the issues discussed on this forum, Uber supplies "better paying" jobs to some minority workers than others they may be able to get. Also, Uber drivers serve some areas in Hartford where it is rare to see a taxi. What do you think of the 2nd video below, which gives a few tips for driving rideshare around Hartford?

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Hartford County, like the rest of the state, varies greatly depending on what town you are in. In Hartford itself I tend to get mostly shorter rides, which still take a lot of time, so not much $$. During the ridiculous 7am-8am Boost, which isn't even the whole city of Hartford, you end up with parents and kids going to school (short ride), business travelers going from the hotel to the office (short ride), and occasionally trips to the airport or New Haven. Glastonbury is kids going to school (likely alone and against policy) and nights for people going out for drinks. East Hartford and Manchester a lot of people use Uber for work. Short rides, but quicker and better than in Hartford. West Hartford and South Windsor, those people all have cars, so you get rides to the airport, but not much commuting. In Windsor in the mornings off Day Hill road, you'll get stuck taking those people that live right off exit 38 up the road to Voya, but nowhere else, and Enfield area always seems to be long rides to the pickup, but only a short distance ride. I don't work nights, so I can only speak for the day times.

I usually keep busy, but mysteriously some days I just can't buy a ride, as if I am being given a low priority for some reason.

Surge comes and goes in Hartford/West Hartford, and in Manchester, but I rarely actually get a surge ride. People seem to wait. So if you're concerned about the rates and getting surge, Hartford County probably isn't your place.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
I live in Wethersfield which is the town south of the city of Hartford. I love when I catch a ping to New haven. Seems to always be busier and is an instant raise. But Hartford is worth it and I enjoy working here. But would be happier if I was in New Haven more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts