Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
I'll take birds in my trunk over entitled paxholes in my backseat anytime!

Plus X trips don't pay $20 anymore, for the most part.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
I've tried this. I've only gone out once. I found 3 out of about 50 that I looked for. Got paid out $25 for 22 miles of driving, 3 hours of time, and waking up at 5:30 AM to drop them off (just 2 blocks away). Out of the 3 that I found, the first was where it was supposed to be (paid $5), the second was about half a block away from its pin drop, but I got lucky (paid $15), and the third wasn't on the map at all, I just spotted it, and I scanned it and was able to "capture" it in the wild, so to speak, (paid $5). The electricity costs of charging are supposed to be 10 cents to 25 cents (I haven't run the numbers), but as we know, driving is not free (I'm at around 27 cents per mile in driving costs).

This guy's experience mirrors mine:
https://slate.com/technology/2018/0...ke-a-much-less-fun-version-of-pokemon-go.html

He thinks that Bird chargers are gaming the system and hiding Scooters until they become more valuable to capture and charge.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I Have. Other chargers are definitely squirreling them away, and the company's help desk seems to be somewhat adherent to the same Clueless tone as Uber's. So again you have a tech company under paying for a service that incentivizes cheating to make it cost effective while those who play by the rules spend a lot of time running around searching for Phantom bounties on a map. Sound familiar? It's no wonder that it was started by a former Uber-ite, because the exploitation patterns are the same.

The added bonus is that you're not only competing against people who probably shouldn't be driving, you are competing against people who don't have a driver's license, as a bunch of kids have taken to it, even though you're supposed to be 18 and have a car (no specified condition.) I ran across a 13 year-old doing it on foot (until he captures his first bird) and one who's mom was driving him around like it was a f-ing paper route!

Want to know what the future of work will be like? Read some William Gibson novels.

·
Premium Member
10,754 Posts
I Have. Other chargers are definitely squirreling them away, and the company's help desk seems to be somewhat adherent to the same Clueless tone as Uber's. So again you have a tech company under paying for a service that incentivizes cheating to make it cost effective while those who play by the rules spend a lot of time running around searching for Phantom bounties on a map. Sound familiar? It's no wonder that it was started by a former Uber-ite, because the exploitation patterns are the same. Want to know what the future of work will be like? Read some William Gibson novels.
I like Neal Stephenson as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've made it a policy in my car not to allow anything in the trunk. If you want the trunk space.... passengers can pay for it. Therefore I would have extra space for those scooters if I would choose to grab some.

Passengers want to move furniture, I say hire movers.

Passengers want to lots of trunk space for groceries... Nope I give them a referral code to Amazon Fresh & Instacart.

Passengers have suitcases, I say call a limo or taxi. (Note I refuse any and all airport trips, it's not worth it no matter what surge for the dead miles.)

Wheelchair.... Well... Technically they can select an Assist ride... Most would likely call a taxi but many times it is their cheap kids ordering them an Uber instead.
*Again no disrespect towards the handicap... I have never refused and inforced my policy to the handicap.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts