Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondering if anyone has experienced their iPhone heating up causing the screen to dim only when running the Uber app. It’s an iPhone XR 128 gig and when I originally ran into this problem I didn’t make the correlation with the Uber app. Verizon replaced my phone thinking it was a defective device. I now realize that it only happens when I’m doing Uber. I also do Instacart and other similar jobs and it never happens when doing any of them only while doing Uber. It doesn’t get hot enough to where it shuts downs nor does it feel burning hot. The main issue is that the screen dims. Turning on the ac until the screen comes back is a pain considering I live in Rochester NY. If anyone has any suggestions or advice I’d appreciate hearing them. I have also made sure I have nothing else running in the background so that’s not the cause.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
This is a known issue with the Uber app on IPhone...

It once overheated my phone causing it to shut itself down...

My advice is keep a flowing air to run on the backside of the phone and nothing else can be done...

DD and other Apps do not have this issue and it does not happen with android phones either and the app also will drain the IPhone battery and will not recharge while charging unlike the android app...

Uber refuses to fix this known issue...

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Pixel 3XL has the same issue. My son's Samsung as the problem too.
Hmmm, never had this issue with my Samsung, but it is a older model so that could be the reason why.

Like the OP my IPhone overheat when running the Uber App and Uber knows about it, so I am not sure why they refuse to fix this one main issue seeing everyone is complaining about it...

·
Premium Member
6,405 Posts
If you look at your battery usage history in settings I guarantee your going to find the biggest usage by far is screen time. The heat is generated from the phone non stop trying to recharge the battery. Many drivers don’t auto lock their screens while Ubering. It’s not the actual Uber app, it’s the fact that while Ubering the phone is always plug in and charging with the screen always on so the battery is working constantly to recharge.

To fix or reduce this issue
- If you can, auto lock your screen so it isn’t always on. I have apple play in my car so I was able to totally eliminate this issue.
- Lower your screen brightness as much as possible. The lower the brightness the less drain on the battery. (Hence, why your screen is dimming when it starts to heat up)

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Sorry but it is only the Uber App that causes the drain on the battery and heating of the phone...

I can run DD all day without closing down the screen at the brightness I have and it never does what Uber App does nor does Instacart or Roadie, so it is for sure the App from Uber causing most of the issues.

·
Premium Member
6,405 Posts
Very simple and easy not to guess but find out the facts.
  1. Go to settings
  2. Go to battery
  3. Scroll down to "battery usage by app"
You can choose last 24 hours or last 10 days. If what you are thinking is correct then you'll see for yourself right there.
I wondering if anyone has experienced their iPhone heating up causing the screen to dim only when running the Uber app. It's an iPhone XR 128 gig and when I originally ran into this problem I didn't make the correlation with the Uber app. Verizon replaced my phone thinking it was a defective device. I now realize that it only happens when I'm doing Uber. I also do Instacart and other similar jobs and it never happens when doing any of them only while doing Uber. It doesn't get hot enough to where it shuts downs nor does it feel burning hot. The main issue is that the screen dims. Turning on the ac until the screen comes back is a pain considering I live in Rochester NY. If anyone has any suggestions or advice I'd appreciate hearing them. I have also made sure I have nothing else running in the background so that's not the cause.
Surprised they didn't know enough to simply turn off "low power mode" in your battery settings if you didn't want it dimming.

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
I wondering if anyone has experienced their iPhone heating up causing the screen to dim only when running the Uber app. It's an iPhone XR 128 gig and when I originally ran into this problem I didn't make the correlation with the Uber app. Verizon replaced my phone thinking it was a defective device. I now realize that it only happens when I'm doing Uber. I also do Instacart and other similar jobs and it never happens when doing any of them only while doing Uber. It doesn't get hot enough to where it shuts downs nor does it feel burning hot. The main issue is that the screen dims. Turning on the ac until the screen comes back is a pain considering I live in Rochester NY. If anyone has any suggestions or advice I'd appreciate hearing them. I have also made sure I have nothing else running in the background so that's not the cause.
The problem here is that you're too busy and making too much money and that's bad for the community.

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
Both my old iPhone X and my new iPhone 12 Pro Max will dim the screen while I'm out on Uber and the phone is charging. It's not overheating to the point the phone is not functional but it does dim the screen while charging. The phone will not dim the screen or run hot when I'm not on Uber though. However when I do rideshare I have a GPS mileage app working along with the SiriusXM app and Apple CarPlay so there are a lot of things working. My phone is mounted so I can blow cold air on to the back of it so it only dims for a bit until it cools off.

My workaround is to start doing rideshare with a full battery. When the battery is already full rarely does it dim even when there are several apps running...

·
Premium Member
58,415 Posts
Spyware

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I have this issue only while charging iPhone and Uber app open at same time. Thought was just my phone...

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Well the common denominator here sure seems to be the Uber app. I'm shocked, shocked to discover that the Uber app is programmed poorly!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts