Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else notice that there's not near the demand at the Iowa State Fair that we would have expected. I also suspect that Uber is suppressing the surge after the concerts are over.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't think any of us will ever figure out the inner workings of uber! But any of these big events that they hype up that you get constant texts and emails for nitefall on the river and Wells Fargo concerts...I don't even try because so many drivers ascend on those locations but the fair is a different story...so many people on top of other people needing rides in other parts of town will stretch a driver thin but that's a good thing because that means they'll be surge pricing and then money to be made...making it all worth while! I will say I made a good chunk of change just working the weekend! Definitely during the week day at the fair you won't see too much surge price but people usually need to travel a good length! All in all don't always believe the hype that uber puts out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't think any of us will ever figure out the inner workings of uber! But any of these big events that they hype up that you get constant texts and emails for nitefall on the river and Wells Fargo concerts...I don't even try because so many drivers ascend on those locations but the fair is a different story...so many people on top of other people needing rides in other parts of town will stretch a driver thin but that's a good thing because that means they'll be surge pricing and then money to be made...making it all worth while! I will say I made a good chunk of change just working the weekend! Definitely during the week day at the fair you won't see too much surge price but people usually need to travel a good length! All in all don't always believe the hype that uber puts out.
Why is your avatar a picture of the unibomber? I don't know if that is in good taste.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The first Friday, Eastside night was super busy. It both took drivers and riders by surprise. Many riders could not get an Uber leaving, I had two parties try to jump into my car when I was doing a pick up around midnight. Some of the parties that I've taken out to the fair since then have told me they know better than to rely on Uber to get home at night and have made other arrangements. Due to poor planning, we have conditioned riders not to Uber. If we had and engaged DSM Manager, who could just be one of the drivers coordinating with Uber, we could do a lot better for the next big event.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree the State Fair has been a bit of a flop. There is no Uber pickup/dropoff point, even the taxi's and bicycle taxis have designated parking place, why not Uber cars? (It seems Jeff is right, no engaged DSM Manager).

Maybe even a quick note to the Police that Uber will be dropping off / picking up at the Grand/30th St entrance. My first drop-off I had to explain to the cop directing traffic that I'm an Uber driver, these are Uber passengers, and I'm dropping them off where the taxi's are parked. He hesitated but let me in. Somebody at Uber sure dropped the ball on this one.

Uber already has the technology to popup a notice on the Rider App (they used it when the fares dropped 40%) that the first time you open the app it could give you a link for State Fair info. Why didn't they use it?

The hype for concerts is total hype. I had one call for the Shania concert, the traffic was horrible and the rider got pissed because I don't have a flying car. It's almost impossible to get more than one ride, so why bother with those one-time-big-exit events?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know Uber was trying to coordinate with the state fair but that doesn't mean the fair was willing to listen. There is so much money and politics involved that it wouldn't just be taxi's that wouldn't want people there. Think of all the neighbors that rent out there yards, the free parking for the buses, and just how crazy the traffic is down there. I don't know where Uber would even park or the expenses involved.

I don't give Uber a pass on much this being the first year they have involved in Des moines and the fair i'm not going to worry too much.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was not asking for a parking spot, just a designated dropoff/pickup point. The Grand/30th would have been logical.

That this was their first year proves the point that you need a local representative. They keep changing "managers", usually out of Chicago, that simply do not have a relationship with anyone in DSM. This is also proved by the failed negotiations at the Airport.

ONE TIME, at the Bacon Fest, they set up a nice UBER sign and it worked well. Is Uber unable to learn from success?

And next year, we'll have a new set of freshly minted BA grads who have no clue how to actually negotiate or even manage a lemonade stand.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
If people work the next day they're probably not going to drink or they'll drink early and sober up for the ride home. And a good chunk of the fair goers are from small town Iowa. How many people from Keokuk have Uber set up and ready on their phones? How many at night are 16-20 year olds who go to the fair because they're too young to go to bars? Most of my fair drop offs have been travelers here on business who went to the fair out of curiousity. It may get better over the next couple years as more small town Iowans hear about Uber and setup accounts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.