Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
17,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To iPhone users out there that have upgraded to IOS12: With Tuesday's OS update, Apple finally has allowed 3rd party nav-software to display on CARPLAY enabled cars. Before you were restricted to APPLE MAPS only.

Currently GOOGLE MAPS now works on the display and WAZE should arrive very soon.

Has anyone able to get the UBER or LYFT App to display and function in a useful way on CARPLAY screen in their CARPLAY (or for that matter, ANDROID AUTO) enabled vehicle?

https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/18/google-maps-apple-carplay-ios12-waze/

·
Registered
107 Posts
To iPhone users out there that have upgraded to IOS12: With Tuesday's OS update, Apple finally has allowed 3rd party nav-software to display on CARPLAY enabled cars. Before you were restricted to APPLE MAPS only.

Currently GOOGLE MAPS now works on the display and WAZE should arrive very soon.

Has anyone able to get the UBER or LYFT App to display and function in a useful way on CARPLAY screen in their CARPLAY (or for that matter, ANDROID AUTO) enabled vehicle?

https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/18/google-maps-apple-carplay-ios12-waze/
Google maps finally on CarPlay is like the best new you gave me.

You can use uber on CarPlay by jailbreaking your phone. However it requires patch that can block uber from noticing that you're using it on jailbreaked iphone.

It's a lot of work but I think the results would be so great!

Same goes for Android Auto

·
Premium Member
6,468 Posts
I have a request in to engineering to see if they can get Apple car play and android auto to work for the Uber app. No idea how to get to a Lyft tech person.
And if the gods of rideshare smile upon us, Dara might take a moment out of his whirlwind PR mission to authorize it.

But seriously though: the need for making the driver app compatible with CarPlay should have been obvious. Oh, I forgot: most of Uber's programmers (I refuse to call them engineers) and execs don't even have a drivers license much less a car.

·
Premium Member
8,993 Posts
And if the gods of rideshare smile upon us, Dara might take a moment out of his whirlwind PR mission to authorize it.

But seriously though: the need for making the driver app compatible with CarPlay should have been obvious. Oh, I forgot: most of Uber's programmers (I refuse to call them engineers) and execs don't even have a drivers license much less a car.
The issue is not with Uber. Apple car play is a locked down platform that Apple approves the apps that are on it. Till now they would not allow the app to run. But that might be changed with their new policy.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Lyft app is so weird! Showed me 7 mins to pick up, I did a U turn and it changed to 1 min. Yesterday it tried to take me to wrong way and later ended up taking me to dead end. Pax was really patient, got lucky on that. Next time they ask for feedback, 1* for sure.

·
Banned
17,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lyft app is so weird! Showed me 7 mins to pick up, I did a U turn and it changed to 1 min.
Were you in a particular traffic heavy part of town with one-way streets that LYFTs navigation app took all into account? I've done a couple quasi-legal U-Turns or pull in a parking lot and turn around that can shave 5 minutes off a 7 minute pick up in the past in certain parts of town at certain times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts