Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, newish Driver here. I Uber in Louisville,ky. I got a text message from Uber inviting me to come drive for the Republican National Convention there in Cleveland.....
Just trying to figure out why I was chosen, mass messaging more than likely... But I like to think that it's because of my good rating. :)

Also should I go for it? I don't want to step on toes, but also I don't want to pass on chances at some good .

Any advice?

·
Registered
56 Posts
You, along with hundreds or thousands of other drivers received this "invitation".

I wonder about the out of towners....

Where will you sleep? How much will you need to make in order to offset your expenses of the haul from KY?

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
How can you even give good service...when you likely don't know the area well?

I've driven a cab in Boston for years and can't believe how much I don't know (or have forgotten) without GPS or a passenger's help...and I really do try to learn. I couldn't imagine drive 60 miles south in Providence or even my local community without more knowledge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of renting a tent spot at the local KOA it quotes about $35 per night. I was thinking of only working a few days of the possible 7. Its about 400 miles from me which would only take about 2 fill-ups @ 20-25 dollars each time. I estimate about $200 in gas to and from, and my campsite. Tack on another $50 for food and drinks, grand total $250.00ish...

Also about the whole me not being familiar with the area, I have thought about it and I feel that most people should (in theory) be going to airports, hotels, and the convention.... I would just have to hope for the best if someone is going too far out of the main city.
But then again I don't much about this. That's why I asked for input on the situation. Lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also about the whole me not being familiar with the area, I have thought about it and I feel that most people should (in theory) be going to airports, hotels, and the convention.... I would just have to hope for the best if someone is going too far out of the main city.
But then again I don't much about this. That's why I asked for input on the situation. Lol
Yes because there's nothing in Cleveland except airport, hotels and the convention center on straight direct shots from each other LOL. Have fun with the interstate mergers LOL.

I mean...the general comedy of where 90, 176, 71, 490 AND 77 spaghetti around one another (in general the arteries into the city) should provide enough laughs.

Of course, there is GPS....frequently WRONG in NE Ohio but....have fun!

I hope this specifically happens to some Pittsburgh driver invited to RNC-come-here:

Out of town PAX: "Can you take me to Flying Monkey?
Pittsburgh Uber driver: "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

*ten minutes later in Brooklyn...*

·
Registered
327 Posts
Not knowing the city is a void argument. We all have smart phones with GPS. I would be more worried about expenses for travel and stay. Most hotels are already booked and people are actually renting out their houses for 5k that week, then you have the locals who are already here and an invite went out to every driver within 200+ miles.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Careful with your assumption on where PAX are going to asking for rides. There will be a lot of RNCer's looking for a ride to hotels, bars and dinning but you'll still have the locals requesting minimum fare rides and low density pickup areas. I got caught taking a PAX from his local job out to his parents home in Lagrange the other day, FWIW Lagrange is out in the F$&@ing sticks.

Yesterday I refused a millennial ride request from Bay Village to a sidestreet off of Woodland. The local stoner wanted to know if I would wait 10 minutes while was "at his buddies" house and then take him back home. He was concerned that he would not get an other Uber back home. The area that Stonerboy wanted me to wait for him is often in the news for drug and gun crimes.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I was thinking of renting a tent spot at the local KOA it quotes about $35 per night. I was thinking of only working a few days of the possible 7. Its about 400 miles from me which would only take about 2 fill-ups @ 20-25 dollars each time. I estimate about $200 in gas to and from, and my campsite. Tack on another $50 for food and drinks, grand total $250.00ish...

You must be fairly new to this. You have to calculate the maintenance/replacement cost of your car. For me (and I have a fairly inexpensive used car) that 400 miles will cost at least $60, plus gas. I'm about 50 miles away, and not planning to drive at RNC! Don't plan on any surges either (will be flooded with drivers like you). Best bet is to stay home and capitalize on shortage of drivers in your area.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't think the not knowing area will be as much of problem. When I started driving I had just moved here and I got around strictly on gps and it wasn't a problem I might have not known shortcuts but it wasn't a big deal. I do think that with the amount of drivers that Uber is trying to recruit to drive during the convention you might not see many surges. If i don't see a surge I won't drive but than again I'm not driving 400 miles to make money or have to spend on room and board. I already live here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well thanks to everyone for the input. Im just going to stay home. And uber8er.... No need for all that. Im not stupid. Thats why I asked questions before blindly driving to a new city. Again thanks to everyone for the helpful input.

·
Registered
243 Posts
HaulinPaul you asked what we thought and I gave you my opinion. If you don't like it please come on and drive and find out for yourself. On your post you sound it like a newbie so I responded like a veteran driver. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not going to fight with you over a thread on the internet. Maybe I mistook what you had said, I don't know but I'm done. Happy driving Sir.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My cousin told me last week he's coming in from Indianapolis to drive. I don't know that it'll be worth it, but he works at a school so he's off for the summer, and he grew up here anyway, so the area will be relatively familiar.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I wouldn't count on a KOA campsite unless you're positive you can get a reservation. Drivers will likely be sleeping in the car. I only hope they plot out truck stop showers and use them. Peeeyouuuu!
The vast majority, VAST MAJORITY of ride requests will be from drunk conventioners going ONE MILE to their hotel, or a bar, or a restaurant. They will expect you to pick them up in no stopping zones, will have no clue when you direct them to a safe pick up spot, and they won't tip as they have no compassion for the poor.
Yeah, yeah, yeah...some attendees are staying 5 miles away or even more but your odds of getting pinged by them will be 1 in 100 or even less.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I heard rumour that UBER is organizing a tent city on a portion of that airport in downtown Cleveland for out of town drivers and that they will have portapotties and mobile showers of some type.
Supposedly having cooks that will prepare meals at special pricing for out of town Uber drivers that show their Uber invitations to drive in Cleveland.
Very interesting

·
Premium Member
4,920 Posts
I heard rumour that UBER is organizing a tent city on a portion of that airport in downtown Cleveland for out of town drivers and that they will have portapotties and mobile showers of some type.
Supposedly having cooks that will prepare meals at special pricing for out of town Uber drivers that show their Uber invitations to drive in Cleveland.
Very interesting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooverville

·
Registered
327 Posts
That airport is all but shut down and I'm pretty sure the national Guard station there ended up with the property. I could be wrong though. If it is true I wonder how much uber will charge for a tent, cause you know they will always try to capitalize on the drivers.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts