Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Introducing myself, I got denied by Uber

13K views 64 replies 34 participants last post by  HotUberMess 
#1 ·
Firstly, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Marcelino, but call me Marc as my nickname. I'm turning 22 years old soon. I'm working 2 jobs at Chick-Fil-A and Red Lobster. Taking some educations. My hobby is computing.

Secondly, I always wanted to work Uber, but I almost never able to do it because my vehicle is not above 2005. Honestly, Uber is my dream job for the three basic reasons: 1. I love to travel; meanwhile, I'd love to drive around. 2. Reasonable income. 3. Flexible schedules as my own schedules. So I've made a decision to get a new car soon. I started an application with Uber by using my mom's vehicle as we are in same insurance. Once Uber approves me to work with them, I will get a new car ASAP. When I started an application with Uber, I received their mail says that they may disqualified me for being major violation in the past 3 years. Why? I was speeding over 25 MPH that considers a major violation in their eyes. I was heartbreaking when I heard the message from them. They said I have to through the dispute progress with Checkr Inc. where they got report from. Immediately, I spent several hours by researching traffic laws. Here what I found: The Florida Statatues & Constituions Title 23 Chapter 316 Section 183 explains about unlawful speeding. Not a word mentions that speeding is a major violation, but speeding over 30 MPH may be serious and probably requires mandontary court like DUI, reckless, etc. One more thing: The Florida Statatues & Constituions Title 23 Chapter 318 Section 18 explains about traffic violation penalties. Not a word mentions my case was a major violation... It is same as other speeding as minor violation. The difference was points and amount penalties.. I wrote a formal letter to Checkr Inc. for the dispute progress, and I wrote a formal letter to Uber to reconsider my proposal an indepentable contractor relationship with Uber... Checkr Inc. responses me that they can't do anything about it, and I need to talk with Uber about it for them to consider because Checkr Inc. do not make a decision. Uber responses me that they can't do anything about it, and I need to talk with Checkr Inc about it for them to alter on my report. Both of them respond in the same way such as crossing. I contacted Uber Executives Support works for Travis. I received the same response like they do not care. I tried to explain them I was speeding because I was in rush to arrive work on time. I made a mistake lesson. I have one ticket ONLY in total 3 years of license history. ONE violation ONLY. They instantly denied me on my one license. Heartbreaking. Also, one of my good friend works with Uber; he got approved with his proposal contractor with Uber while he had two violations history in less than 1 year with speeding and reckless driver. He got tickets outside of his home state. I assume Checkr Inc. doesn't check outside of home state. When I'm on duty with Uber, I will take serious based on ensuring provides guests satisfy with my service I could get high rate. I do not want to risk my rate.... I contacted with Uber many times, and I get all response in the same way even Checkr Inc..... I felt disappointed. I'm considering to hire a lawyer to check with Clerk Court first if they consider me as major or minor violation. If they say my violation considered as major, I will discuss with them to make alters on my report. If Clerk Court considered my violation is a minor, I will start step two by law suiting Checkr Inc. for making a false report. If Checkr Inc has do nothing with my report and considered me as minor violation, I will start step three by law suiting Uber for discriminating me unfairly and unreasonable.......

What's on your thoughts... Any advice? Any help?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
22 years old, you are a kid. 3 years of driving history is nothing. I am surprised Jame's River provides liability for Uber drivers Under the age of 25. You can't suit them. They are not hiring you. If it is remotely like the taxi company I lease from ( I have no idea), they run your info, in my case, the taxi company's insurance provider runs my license and if there would be a problem, they would tell the taxi company " we can not allow you to lease to this driver and continue to cover you". Something to that effect.

That is basically the gist. Uber has only been around for about five years. Five years isn't always. The only thing more heartbreaking than being denied to drive for Travis is to drive for him beyond the honeymoon. By the time you are a little older, your license clears up, who knows what will be there for you?

#3 · (Edited)
Firstly, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Marcelino, but call me Marc as my nickname. I'm turning 22 years old soon. I'm working 2 jobs at Chick-Fil-A and Red Lobster. Taking some educations. My hobby is computing.

Secondly, I always wanted to work Uber, but I almost never able to do it because my vehicle is not above 2005. Honestly, Uber is my dream job for the three basic reasons: 1. I love to travel; meanwhile, I'd love to drive around. 2. Reasonable income. 3. Flexible schedules as my own schedules. So I've made a decision to get a new car soon. I started an application with Uber by using my mom's vehicle as we are in same insurance. Once Uber approves me to work with them, I will get a new car ASAP. When I started an application with Uber, I received their mail says that they may disqualified me for being major violation in the past 3 years. Why? I was speeding over 25 MPH that considers a major violation in their eyes. I was heartbreaking when I heard the message from them. They said I have to through the dispute progress with Checkr Inc. where they got report from. Immediately, I spent several hours by researching traffic laws. Here what I found: The Florida Statatues & Constituions Title 23 Chapter 316 Section 183 explains about unlawful speeding. Not a word mentions that speeding is a major violation, but speeding over 30 MPH may be serious and probably requires mandontary court like DUI, reckless, etc. One more thing: The Florida Statatues & Constituions Title 23 Chapter 318 Section 18 explains about traffic violation penalties. Not a word mentions my case was a major violation... It is same as other speeding as minor violation. The difference was points and amount penalties.. I wrote a formal letter to Checkr Inc. for the dispute progress, and I wrote a formal letter to Uber to reconsider my proposal an indepentable contractor relationship with Uber... Checkr Inc. responses me that they can't do anything about it, and I need to talk with Uber about it for them to consider because Checkr Inc. do not make a decision. Uber responses me that they can't do anything about it, and I need to talk with Checkr Inc about it for them to alter on my report. Both of them respond in the same way such as crossing. I contacted Uber Executives Support works for Travis. I received the same response like they do not care. I tried to explain them I was speeding because I was in rush to arrive work on time. I made a mistake lesson. I have one ticket ONLY in total 3 years of license history. ONE violation ONLY. They instantly denied me on my one license. Heartbreaking. Also, one of my good friend works with Uber; he got approved with his proposal contractor with Uber while he had two violations history in less than 1 year with speeding and reckless driver. He got tickets outside of his home state. I assume Checkr Inc. doesn't check outside of home state. When I'm on duty with Uber, I will take serious based on ensuring provides guests satisfy with my service I could get high rate. I do not want to risk my rate.... I contacted with Uber many times, and I get all response in the same way even Checkr Inc..... I felt disappointed. I'm considering to hire a lawyer to check with Clerk Court first if they consider me as major or minor violation. If they say my violation considered as major, I will discuss with them to make alters on my report. If Clerk Court considered my violation is a minor, I will start step two by law suiting Checkr Inc. for making a false report. If Checkr Inc has do nothing with my report and considered me as minor violation, I will start step three by law suiting Uber for discriminating me unfairly and unreasonable.......

POST # 1/abcv2v: READ....READ....
READ from the
510,000 Posts and Replies, here
on UPNF. This CRIMINALLY FRAUD
ULENT "Business" will ONLY impov-

erish you. NEVER buy a NEW car for
#[F]Ubering !

Like Smoking, #[F]Uber seems Cool,
Hip and Exciting. But, just like
Smoking, it is better to Never Start.

Mentoring Bison: READ. LEARN.
EARN ? Not hardly !

#7 · (Edited)
Marc -

Have you even looked at what Uber pays drivers in Jacksonville?
It's one of the lowest rates in the country - if not THE lowest: $0.75/mi.
You cannot possibly make any money driving Uber in Jacksonville unless you have a car that qualifies for higher service levels and rates.
Every UberX mile you drive you are LOSING money.
Your dream - if it came true - would be a financial nightmare.

...<putting my 'dad' hat on>...

You obviously are willing to work hard...
so focus on your current jobs.
Get the hell out of Chick-Fil-A and get more hours with Red Lobster - tell them you want to learn and advance.
They are owned by the Darden Restaurant Group and have enormous opportunities for growth and advancement within the corporation
(Olive Garden, Longhorn, Bahama Breeze, Capital Grill, Seasons52).

Work your way up there...
get full-time hours and BENEFITS, including health care and tuition reimbursement.

You are also obviously smart (except for the whole idiotic ridesharing thing), so
Get your butt in college - even if it's only one course a semester - even if it's online.

PLEASE forget about rideshare - at least for a few years.
One accident while doing Uber or Lyft could ruin you financially for years to come.

You don't know how lucky you are to have gotten that speeding ticket.

How strongly do I feel about this?
If I come down to Jacksonville and see you driving rideshare,
I'm going to pull you out of your car and whoop your ass.
You hear me?!

...<removing 'dad' hat>...

#9 · (Edited)
You don't know how lucky you are, to quote the great John Prine.
In '81 I was fortunate enough to sit with Prine over beers in a little dive bar (Jefferson Davis Inn) in Lexington, KY.
There's a very long story that goes along with that (but this ain't the place to tell it).

#11 ·
Michael - Cleveland I am a huge Prine fan. To sit with John Prine over a few beers would be a fine thing. Worse comes to worst, if the OP never heard of John Prine before, he can't say that now. What he does with that opportunity......... now that I believe is an opportunity.

#13 · (Edited)
Well, that's the way that the world goes 'round.
You're up one day, the next you're down.
It's a half an inch of water and you think you're gonna drown.
That's the way that the world goes 'round.

#16 · (Edited)

Marc -

Please ignore those here talking about paragraphs and spacing.

They have missed that your post contains three distinct paragraphs
which make exceptionally creative use of white space.

They simply do not understand 'stream of consciousness' writing.

#20 ·

I don't think it's worth the time and effort in trying to change their minds.

I'm pretty sure ANY traffic moving violations would count as a denial by Uber.

From what I learned from them is that anything that can be used against Uber, they will do without. Hiring with somebody with any type of traffic violations would look really bad on them if something happens to one of their passengers in their drivers car that had a previous speeding ticket, red light, I would even think the media will even point out parking tickets. lol They have so many other drivers they can choose from that don't have any negative marks on their records, so why would they go out of their way to accommodate you? They won't. People get deactivated from poor ratings from passengers who should not be part of the rating system at all. Does Uber listen to the deactivated drivers reasons and excuse? ummm... no.

With that said, don't feel too bad man. You are not missing out on much to drive for Uber.
As you see the majority on here are not happy and more so if you are a full time driver.

Don't get me wrong, some people do make it work, and some areas are better than others, but they are the minority.

#25 ·
Hi, abcv2v.

Welcome to the forum!

Let me do the math. Jacksonville drivers are paid 75 cents-per-mile.
$.75
X.80 (Uber takes 20% commission fee)
$.60
- .70 ($.35 cost to drive per mile x2 for 1 dead mile)
-$.10 Normally I would multiply by 84.7 to take out taxes (15.3%)
Since you are already in the red, you owe no taxes

Now I ask, is this worth working as a driver who uses the Uber app? sDtay in school, or work your way up at Red Lobster. Any job that states "flexible hours & great pay" means you will bust butt to make the money you want.

Michael-Cleveland put on a Dad's hat. Consider me Grandma. :)

Sent from my iPhone

#26 ·

I stopped reading at "uber is my dream job".

#31 ·

@ 22 if your dream job is to work for UBER you have major issues to workout and I don't mean the traffic ticket.

#35 ·
Hello, I was not expecting a lot of responses. Firstly, I want to say apologize if my grammars were not clear. I'm a profound deaf person; meanwhile, English

is my second language. I hope you understood. Secondly, I want to say thank all of you helped me to think better by thinking if I should law suit. The word:

perspective. It seems that lot of you say that Uber sucks while others say it blasts. Thirdly, some of you mentioned that I should stay in school and currently

jobs. I always wanted to get myself promotions with Red Lobster. They would not allow me to promote to server, and I'm continue struck with being busboy.

Darden do not own Red Lobster anymore which it sold them a year ago. I do not if they are able to take me into kitchen. Jobs promotions are pretty difficult

especially for deaf people. That is the reason why I want to work Uber.. After I read above comments, I think I probably just forget about Uber.

Thanks so much for the comments. However, I accepted some of your mean comments. It helps me to understand your perspectives. I appreciated it. Thanks.

#45 ·
Hello, I was not expecting a lot of responses. Firstly, I want to say apologize if my grammars were not clear. I'm a profound deaf person; meanwhile, English

is my second language. I hope you understood. Secondly, I want to say thank all of you helped me to think better by thinking if I should law suit. The word:

perspective. It seems that lot of you say that Uber sucks while others say it blasts. Thirdly, some of you mentioned that I should stay in school and currently

jobs. I always wanted to get myself promotions with Red Lobster. They would not allow me to promote to server, and I'm continue struck with being busboy.

Darden do not own Red Lobster anymore which it sold them a year ago. I do not if they are able to take me into kitchen. Jobs promotions are pretty difficult

especially for deaf people. That is the reason why I want to work Uber.. After I read above comments, I think I probably just forget about Uber.

Thanks so much for the comments. However, I accepted some of your mean comments. It helps me to understand your perspectives. I appreciated it. Thanks.
Marc, Don't mind these guys, they all mean well, but this is a place for them to blow off some steam. Most of them (myself included) feel a bit duped by promises of $50 and hour driving Uber. That said, good on you for fighting for what you want. I drive in Los Angeles and I had a couple of different Riders tell me about their rides with a couple of deaf Drivers here. Then one night, while stopping to take a pee at the local Jack in the Box, I met one of the Uber drivers that is in fact deaf. He was signing on his phone to who I assume was his young daughter, while standing outside of his car. It was cool

I too like to drive and see things around my area, that I otherwise would not if I did not drive Uber. That part of Uber is quite enjoyable. The ticket part is difficult. I have heard that Uber will accept Drivers with two minor infractions, but a major infraction is a deal breaker with them. Here is what I would do if I were you. Write Uber and tell them you are deaf and have this issue with the one ticket. They might make an exception. Won't hurt to try.

I totally understand your different writing style, now that you mention you have a hearing loss. I worked with a Japanese sign language group back in the 90's on my day job, and I came to understand that it is an entirely different language with different grammar and rules, etc...

Keep your head up and do what you desire to do!

#36 ·

So you're the one person in the world uber has denied access. I was wondering who that was! :)

#38 ·

Young man, what is wrong with you? you are only 22, dream big! wtf is a promotion at red lobster if you play your cards right, plan for your future you can own Red lobster the sky is the limit kiddo.

G
#39 ·
Over 25 MPH is a major traffic violation and in some states they take away your license for a period of time. Major traffic violations stick to your record for at least 5 years. Just some inside info for you.

#40 · (Edited)
POST # 39/Uber Donkey: IT IS UNCLEAR
if Marcelino was going
"over 25 mph AND Speeding" or "Speeding
at a Rate of 25 mph OVER the Speed Limit".
I suspect the latter. Probably doing 50
in a 45 zone and "missed" the School
Zone 25 mph. signage....... one of the
Easiest SpeedTraps for Law Enforcement
to rack up the $$$$ !

BTW: I state this with Confidence because
this EXACT situation exists on SR 92 as
you enter onto Marco Island from the
South, passing by Bucolic Fishing Village
Goodland, and then approach M.I. Charter
Academy, partially obscured by a
blind curve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.