Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I want to reinstall my dashcam to record the interior of my car. What is the BARE MINIMUM signage requred to do this legally?

Do they need to know before they get in with stickers on the outside of the car or is 1 sticker on the dash sufficient to warn people that the trip is being recorded?

Obviously i want to avoid covering my car with stickers as I don't want to look like a ****/taxi.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi ricdam. I've seen that thread but don't think it is relevant. I think we are all aware that you must warn people if you are using a dashcam but my question specifically relates to how people are interpreting the law and what is the bare minimum signage required.

I am thinking of printing out a sheet from my computer that says the following:

"UNFORTUNATELY UBER HAS DENIED MY RIGHT AS AN INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR TO COLLECT REIMBURSEMENT FROM RIDERS WHO HAVE DAMAGED MY VEHICLE IN THE PAST. UBER USUALLY CLAIM THE DAMAGE IS GENERAL WEAR AND TEAR. DUE TO UBER'S NEGLIGENCE THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH CCTV CAMERAS SO THAT ANY DAMAGE CAN BE REIMBURSED."

And then i will print out the emails that support Uber sends me and laminate them.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You sure about that Lexkan ?? We are surveilled all the time.

Probably a different thread question but what kind of "general wear and tear" have you sustained ?
Most recently holes in the leather trim where the rider tried to climb over the centre console while driving. Uber deny everything and tell me to claim through my own insurance. It's basically theft. I do a trip for uber. They take their 25% and then don't want to hear about it when the riders causes damage. Do they honestly think i can afford to pay $650 excess for insurance to repair something that a rider did on a less than $20 trip?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Hi ricdam. I've seen that thread but don't think it is relevant. I think we are all aware that you must warn people if you are using a dashcam but my question specifically relates to how people are interpreting the law and what is the bare minimum signage required.

I am thinking of printing out a sheet from my computer that says the following:

"UNFORTUNATELY UBER HAS DENIED MY RIGHT AS AN INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR TO COLLECT REIMBURSEMENT FROM RIDERS WHO HAVE DAMAGED MY VEHICLE IN THE PAST. UBER USUALLY CLAIM THE DAMAGE IS GENERAL WEAR AND TEAR. DUE TO UBER'S NEGLIGENCE THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH CCTV CAMERAS SO THAT ANY DAMAGE CAN BE REIMBURSED."

And then i will print out the emails that support Uber sends me and laminate them.

I got this...

·
Registered
184 Posts
there is no need for "signage" if you look on the Surveillance Act, it actually says that it is not necessary to have a sign showing that camera is in recording. taxis just put it there to show off but actually those cameras in the taxi's are fake dummies they don't even work.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
If your dashcam records sound (and most of them seem to) then for the purposes of the Surveillance Devices act it is a listening device not an optical surveillance device and there are stricter rules governing it's use. Relevent bits of the legislation:

SURVEILLANCE DEVICES ACT 2007 - SECT 7
Prohibition on installation, use and maintenance of listening devices
7 Prohibition on installation, use and maintenance of listening devices

(1) A person must not knowingly install, use or cause to be used or maintain a listening device:(a) to overhear, record, monitor or listen to a private conversation to which the person is not a party, or(b) to record a private conversation to which the person is a party.Maximum penalty: 500 penalty units (in the case of a corporation) or 100 penalty units or 5 years imprisonment, or both (in any other case).

"private conversation" means any words spoken by one person to another person or to other persons in circumstances that may reasonably be taken to indicate that any of those persons desires the words to be listened to only:(a) by themselves, or(b) by themselves and by some other person who has the consent, express or implied, of all of those persons to do so,but does not include a conversation made in any circumstances in which the parties to it ought reasonably to expect that it might be overheard by someone else.

(3) Subsection (1) (b) does not apply to the use of a listening device by a party to a private conversation if:(a) all of the principal parties to the conversation consent, expressly or impliedly, to the listening device being so used, or(b) a principal party to the conversation consents to the listening device being so used and the recording of the conversation:(i) is reasonably necessary for the protection of the lawful interests of that principal party, or(ii) is not made for the purpose of communicating or publishing the conversation, or a report of the conversation, to persons who are not parties to the conversation.

11 Prohibition on communication or publication of private conversations or recordings of activities

(1) A person must not publish, or communicate to any person, a private conversation or a record of the carrying on of an activity, or a report of a private conversation or carrying on of an activity, that has come to the person's knowledge as a direct or indirect result of the use of a listening device, an optical surveillance device or a tracking device in contravention of a provision of this Part.Maximum penalty: 500 penalty units (in the case of a corporation) or 100 penalty units or 5 years imprisonment, or both (in any other case).(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to the following:(a) if the communication or publication is made:(i) to a party to the private conversation or activity, or(ii) with the consent, express or implied, of all the principal parties to the private conversation or activity, or(iii) for the purpose of investigating or prosecuting an offence against this section, or(iv) in the course of proceedings for an offence against this Act or the regulations,(b) if the communication or publication is no more than is reasonably necessary in connection with an imminent threat of:(i) serious violence to persons or of substantial damage to property, or(ii) commission of a serious narcotics offence.

So basically your sign must say that audio is being recorded and if you intend to play that recording to anyone else not in the car at the time it was recorded then your sign must also advise that the recording may be used later and viewed/heard by other non-participant parties.
(showing it to Uber to claim a damage fee doesnt qualify under the exeptions to consent rule)

·
Registered
145 Posts
"private conversation" means any words spoken by one person to another person or to other persons in circumstances that may reasonably be taken to indicate that any of those persons desires the words to be listened to only:(a) by themselves, or(b) by themselves and by some other person who has the consent, express or implied, of all of those persons to do so,but does not include a conversation made in any circumstances in which the parties to it ought reasonably to expect that it might be overheard by someone else.
This tells me that if it is reasonable for you to overhear it then it is OK.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
This tells me that if it is reasonable for you to overhear it then it is OK.
That would apply to conversations by 2 or more pax talking to each other. As soon as you are involved in any conversation with them it becomes a private conversation as it would not be reasonably expected to be heard by anyone outside the car - ie the people you play the footage to. So if a pax is abusing you whilst tearing up your car, or talking to you trying to distract you from what they are doing, that is a private conversation. Even if the pax is not speaking directly to you, there is an implied consent that anyone in the vehicle is able to listen to it but there is no consent for anyone outside the vehicle to listen and therefor for the purposes of the Surveillance Devices Act, it is a private conversation

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
That's a good one tony. How big, how many and where did you place it/them? I'm assuming you don't have any signs on the outside of the car?
I haven't actually affixed it anywhere yet, I don't yet have a cam setup. I bought it for when I do get a cam..

I plan on sticking it on my sunglasses holder plastic...

It's pretty visible up there.. I wont be putting any on the outside of my car..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts