Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
New here and new to Uber
I just contacted progressive and apparently my regular insurance doesn't cover me when I'm Ubering
Whst kinda of insurance do I need to get here in Texas?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Hybrid, or gap insurance at the least. Otherwise you'll have to get a commercial policy. Very few companies offer the gap insurance in Texas, so you'll have to call around.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use Esurrance and I got Gap insurance when I purchased my car. I honestly have no idea on how that protects me when I am Ubering however. Uber covers you on their insurance when you are driving for them, but what I hear is that it isn't all that.

·
Registered
922 Posts
SlickRizzo you purchased gap insurance when you purchased your car... that insurance is to protect you from a monetary gap between what an insurance company will pay for your vehicle and what you actually owe on it When you are in an accident and experience a total loss. It has nothing to do with your auto insurance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
SlickRizzo you purchased gap insurance when you purchased your car... that insurance is to protect you from a monetary gap between what an insurance company will pay for your vehicle and what you actually owe on it When you are in an accident and experience a total loss. It has nothing to do with your auto insurance.
The gap insurance is listed right on my auto insurance policy and I pay for it in the same payment as my auto policy...

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
No, I purchased my car before I started driving for Uber.
Then MrsUberJax is most likely correct. You see, if you haven't divulged to your insurance company that you're driving for a TNC, then the times you have the app on and no pax in car, you are effectively driving without insurance. If you are involved in an accident and your insurance company finds out you're driving hauling pax for money, any claim you make will be denied, and they will drop you, meaning if you are at fault in the accident you are liable for all damages personally.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Slick Rizzo
Automotive lighting Font Screenshot Bumper Automotive tire

What this insurance does is cover the GAP between what you owe on your car and what it's worth in the case of a total loss due to an accident! It has NOTHING to do with the gap between a personal auto policy and ride sharing insurance coverage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use Esurrance and I got Gap insurance when I purchased my car. I honestly have no idea on how that protects me when I am Ubering however. Uber covers you on their insurance when you are driving for them, but what I hear is that it isn't all that.
Try filing a claim with the insurance Uber has and you're going to be for a big surprise. Uber insurance will not cover your car if you're in any type of accident nor will it cover you or your passengers if you get hurt. Your insurance will not cover you nor your passengers if are using your car to gain any money.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Mine is a hybrid policy, written for drivers who do ride sharing. Unlike many, I shopped around and I also fully disclosed that I would be driving for dollars. Anything less constitutes fraud. I have extremely high coverage limits. You do not want to lose your home over a single accident. You also don't want to believe anything that Uber says when it comes to your coverage. You are an independent contractor and they have no qualms about leaving you twisting in the breeze.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Holy cow ATX 22. I also have USAA and mine was only $26/6 mo. You must have way higher coverage than I do.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I can't get onto USAA right now to check but I want to say I have either 250k or 500k per person coverage.

·
Registered
323 Posts
USAA and GEICO are the only two companies in Texas (at this moment) that provide "rideshare" coverage. USAA (the one I use) is relatively inexpensive. Geico is a modified commercial policy and was going to run me about $1800 a year. USAA is much better if you can qualify.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts