Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good insurance company which won't charge extra for ridesharing coverage?

My insurance renewal is due and since Allianz are charging me an extra $140 a year and only allowing me to drive up to 20 hours a week, I'm keen to find another insurer.

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Premium Member
16,736 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good insurance company which won't charge extra for ridesharing coverage?

My insurance renewal is due and since Allianz are charging me an extra $140 a year and only allowing me to drive up to 20 hours a week, I'm keen to find another insurer.

Thanks in advance. :)
That doesn't sound right.
I am with Allianz, and researched this extensively mid last year. I actually changed TO Allianz, due to their ride sharing accomodation.

For what it is worth, I would do a (squeaky clean new) online quote as Mrs Hector Puss and see what it comes up with.

I did everything online, which may have made a difference, but at the time, there was no additional charge for ride sharing and no limit on ride sharing hours driven.

Of course, companies change their products all the time, but if Allianz has changed, I would be surprised. Their treatment of ride sharing really was a point of difference.

I will see if I can pull my docs out and take some shots. :)

Edit: I just pulled out the file. I set this policy up on 2017 August.
Total annual premium - $416
Basic XS - $400
Use (as stated on the schedule) - 'This vehicle is used for private / ride share use only.
Per Week - This vehicle travels approximately 401 - 1,000km per week.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much, that's very different to what I've been quoted! I think I'll give them another call. :D

·
Premium Member
16,736 Posts
Thanks so much, that's very different to what I've been quoted! I think I'll give them another call. :D
Do it online at your leisure - you can then 'juggle' options in and out and are able to see the respective costs. For the quote(s) you may have to put in a 'fake' rego and perhaps the address next door as their systems may pick up that your car (current rego) is already insured with them.

Also, they tend to discount prices for online queries / transactions as they don't have to pay a human.

Also, make sure you upload current (new) insurance details to Uber well before expiry date. If they don't have the new documentation in place, they just lock you out of the app. I know this from bitter experience.

edit:spelling

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
That doesn't sound right.
I am with Allianz, and researched this extensively mid last year. I actually changed TO Allianz, due to their ride sharing accomodation.

For what it is worth, I would do a (squeaky clean new) online quote as Mrs Hector Puss and see what it comes up with.

I did everything online, which may have made a difference, but at the time, there was no additional charge for ride sharing and no limit on ride sharing hours driven.

Of course, companies change their products all the time, but if Allianz has changed, I would be surprised. Their treatment of ride sharing really was a point of difference.

I will see if I can pull my docs out and take some shots. :)

Edit: I just pulled out the file. I set this policy up on 2017 August.
Total annual premium - $416
Basic XS - $400
Use (as stated on the schedule) - 'This vehicle is used for private / ride share use only.
Per Week - This vehicle travels approximately 401 - 1,000km per week.
That would really depend on the insurers definition of the term Rideshare, otherwise Taxi's, Hire Cars, Buses etc would all just switch to private/rideshare insurance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts