Uber Drivers Forum banner

Insurance options in Portland, OR

10K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  PDX2012 
#1 ·
What insurance options are available for rideshare drivers in the Portland area? Are there any hybrid or gap policies available in Oregon yet?

#2 ·
Portland "Ubering" is about to take a drastic change. Be prepared to purchase 1 million in commercial coverage (the same as cabs). The city council isn't accepting Uber's "rideshare" insurance model.

As for hybrid policies in Oregon for "rideshare?" Not according to the head insurance dude. By next year, there will be a State Law that all "rideshare" drivers must carry the same level as cabs and towncars.

#7 ·
No they (Uber) don't. Portland will be requiring Uber (all "rideshare" ) drivers to carry full time commercial insurance. By next year it will be State law in Oregon.

Commercial coverage will be required...even in period one. At least two cabs have been hit by Uber drivers in Portland. In both cases, the drivers insurance was cancelled.

It'll be easy enough to get. Just buy the same policy as any Towncar uses. Piece of cake....other than the extra 500....800 bucks a month.
Same law was implemented in WA. Portland is copying the law. Uber paid for the insurance. Even in period one. Just wait, let's place bets, and I'll be right. How much money would you like to give me?

#8 · (Edited)
Portland isn't copying anyone. They're going to require "rideshare" drivers to have the same 1 million in commercial coverage as cabs and Towncar , no matter if your "Ubering," or not. If Uber was going to pick up the tab, the drivers wouldn't be crying about it. Even the Uber rep was complaining about it. Claimed it would be to hard on the drivers.

So Uber is flipping the bill for full time commercial coverage 24/7, are they. That sure explains why Washington drivers are still asking what insurance companies will cover "rideshare."

You actually expect Uber to pay for 24/7 a bunch of part time drivers?

Portland has tossed in the trash the term "rideshare." Uber and Lyft are (now) officially known as an "Unbranded Taxi service."

Because I haven't been able to find it, please direct me to where Uber says they'll pay for the FULL TIME 1 million dollar commercial policy?

Thank you.

Edit:

"If a driver's personal insurance policy does not cover an accident when the driver is logged onto the app but not carrying a passenger, Uber will provide contingent coverage that
would pay up to $50,000 for injury to one person, $100,000 for injuries to all persons and $25,000 for property damage."

Only 50 grand is what it covers. Portland is going to be setting it the same as other livery services, $1 million. Broadway cab has 2 million, but they have an account with Tr-Met, which made them step up their coverage.

One of our city council members had a spouse killed by an uninsured/underinsured driver. They won't accept 50 grand.

Also...this isn't complete coverage. They want them carrying a 1 million policy..regardless of app-on, app-off. Just like a Towncar carries full time commercial insurance, "rideshare" will as well.

That's what happens when you turn "ridesharing" into a 24/7 unbranded livery service. Uber drivers are hauling azz down I-84 and other streets to hussle back to their favorite spot (many are ex-cabbies. They know where the most orders come from). In a cab, you can mark into a zone (unless you have GPS dispatching turned on) and gradually drive there. With GPS, you gotta hustle back to the hot spot for your next "ping" to PDX, Nike, Intel or wherever.

#10 ·
Taxi Union? What is this Taxi Union you speak of? Go on Geico's (or ANY insurance company's) website and try to get "rideshare" insurance anywhere in Oregon. Here's what you'll get, "We're sorry. We are unable to complete your application because we do not have a product available for this type of risk in your location."

In other words, YOU CAN NOT GET A PRIVATE POLICY TO COVER RIDESHARE IN OREGON!! Are you dense, or what? If you drive in Oregon, and you leave your Goober sticker in the window while you haul ass back downtown (because we all know how "active" the TNC lot isn't (yawn...go back to sleep while 15 cabs for every Uber gets a trip @ a proper wage vs. your...whatever Uber pays non-surge these days), you're either a fool or a noob Uber/Lyft driver who drank Brooks tea at the City Hall meetings. If a Goober driver gets in a wreck in Portland, what's the FIRST thing they're going to do? I'll tell you..

1. Yank the Goober/Lyft sticker out of the window.
2. Turn off the Goober/Lyft app.

Now, try to deny it.

What you CAN get, is a commercial policy (like towncars, PDX shuttles, etc) have.

Uber is like a fly that hovers around one's picnic table hoping for a free ride. Once you get proper insurance coverage, get back to me about how profitable your "rideshare" business is. ;-) Enjoy your extra 500-800 a month coverage cost. But if you're really lucky, Goober will pick up the tab and then you'll only give up 50% on each dollar you make. Yup...you're a real mentor for an upcoming driver.

As for a new job...I find it interesting someone that needs a part time "rideshare" job, offer me advice on work. Apparently your "regular" job of flipping burgers doesn't pay so well, so you "Goober" on the side? Am I right? ;-)

BTW, my "hearsay" was the 5 council members agreeing that Goober and Lyft need FULL TIME commercial insurance. And that would be $1 million in coverage...just like the cabs. The exception being Broadway. They have a $2 million policy (something about their contract with Tri-Met).

An agent can, and will, say anything to get you to buy their policy. They're like car salesmen. Post your insurance agency name, and who claims they'll cover you in Oregon doing "rideshare." I'd sure like to know. Oregon auto insurance company's know there's about to be a State law that forbids personal insurance "rideshare" coverage. That's why they won't do anything. You can get Metromile in Washington, but it's useless in Oregon. Farmers doesn't cover in Oregon. Geico won't. State Farm won't...None of them will unless you lie to the agent.

"Also, you're a real POS of a human being for doing this, and if this is the type of person you are professionally and in real life, I can see why you make no money."

I'm not sure what the hell I'm a "real POS of a human being for doing this", over. Except for maybe that I photograph every Uber car I see working in Portland (especially the Washington plated cars) , then forward that information to the city and state.

Also, you have no clue what I make. Do you always assume to know what you're talking about?

#11 ·
For those that STILL don't believe me that your personal policy is of no good, no matter what YOU think or Uber has told you, from the horses mouth...the State of Oregon:

Source. http://www.oregon.gov/DCBS/insurance/news/Pages/2014/sept192014.aspx

"
The Department of Consumer and Business Services, Insurance Division advises Oregonians to consider their insurance needs when engaging in new apps and websites that facilitate car rides, vacation rentals, and other services - known as the "sharing economy."

"When a new industry emerges, it often creates unique insurance situations," said Insurance Commissioner Laura Cali. "Consumers should be aware that traditional insurance policies may not apply when participating in a new kind of business."

Examples include transportation networking companies (TNCs), such as Uber, Lyft, and Sidecar, that offer smartphone apps to help connect drivers and passengers as an alternative to taxis. Drivers who participate use their personal vehicles to transport passengers for a fee. Other companies, such as Airbnb, allow people to list and book properties for rent through its website.

Here is what you need to consider before participating in these new endeavors:

Drivers of TNCs
Personal insurance policies will not provide you with coverage if you drive for a TNC. Because you would be collecting a fee for driving another person, your personal insurance policy would not cover any damage or losses that occur. Before signing up to become a driver:

• Find out if the company has an insurance program. Make sure the commercial automobile insurance policy held by the TNC includes coverage for bodily injury and property damage to you and others before and during the time you are designated to drive passengers for payment.
  • Review any agreement involving car-sharing or ridesharing. Seek legal counsel if needed.
  • Call your insurance company or agent to discuss your options and whether you might want to consider a commercial insurance policy. "

If any of you Uber/Lyft drivers happen to be unlucky enough to hit one of our cars, you *will* be sued. We've been hit by two already. Their insurance was cancel the instant the drivers agent found out. Those two drivers are never going to get insured again without paying a small fortune. Now...go get proper commercial insurance (like a town car, taxi, or airport shuttle operator must have) and go back to fighting among the 3000 of you for that next big "ping." With luck, it'll be a 2x surge. It's going to be State law by next year, so you might as well start shopping for your $1 million policy (it's what the city is going to recommend as well).

Then you can tell us, again, how much "cheaper" you are than a cab. :) BTW...some of those Uber/Lyft cars out there are looking pretty ratty. You might want to ask your brethren to clean up their act a bit. Some of your cars are looking a bit, to use a stereotype.....cab like. ;-)

#13 ·
New body count. 4 Uber crashes. 4 Uber drivers ticketed for driving without proper insurance.

Keep it up.

Oh....and for the Uber driver picking up at the Monaco Hotel that doesn't know if his Geico policy will cover him....ask your agent. His answer (for Oregon) will be, "No!".

#14 · (Edited)
Opps.... Still think you're covered while driving "rideshare" in Oregon? Think again. Hope you guys are setting aside some lawsuit money. Like I said, you get in a wreck in Portland, it's going to cost you a grip of cash. I can't disclose the amount the other 4 drivers are being sued for. But they're in a heap of financial trouble.

Uber on. :)

http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...clist_sues_after_uber_privat.html#incart_2box

#16 ·
Provide the name of this mystery insurance company that will continue to cover you IF they know (or find out) you're using your car for Uber/Lyft in Oregon. This has NOTHING to do with Uber period 2 or 3.

But that's ok. Don't pay attention to me. Stick your head in the sand and pretend all is well. How many Uber drivers being sued does it take for you to understand this? IT'S A STATE LAW in Oregon. If you use your car AT ANY TIME to generate income, WHICH YOU ARE, you MUST have a commercial policy. Forget what Uber keeps telling you. IT'S A STATE LAW!!!

Geez... How dense can one be?

#18 ·
Two more Uber/Lyft drivers will be getting insurance cancellations (along with a nasty citation) after today. Early this morning, one tried to take out two pedestrians (Portland Police witnessed the "event") and another decided to try his hand at reproving two objects can't occupy the same space at the same time @ Glisan and 16th. His experiment worked.

When will you people learn? Go buy some commercial insurance and you won't have these problems. Should only run you about 8...maybe 10k a year. Cab drivers can buy it, but you money making machines driving for Uber/Lyft, can't?

#19 ·
I am a Vancouver, WA driver and a retired Portland Police Officer. I have just recently began driving for Uber, but have been with USAA for auto insurance for 30 years. Before beginning to drive for Uber I researched and found there is a doughnut hole of missing coverage when you are actively waiting for but without a customer. I talked to Uber and my insurance company USAA about the issue and found my insurance company offers:
"Ride Share Gap Protection - Extends coverage when you are waiting to accept an assignment from a transportation network company like Uber, Lyft or Sidecar."
Google they above and they have a nice online explanation!
phillipx3 I guess this is the mythical company!

The cost for me is $29.36 for six months and provides coverage for that uncovered time frame and my coverage is higher than the minimum legal requirements. And no they didn't cancel me when they found out what I was doing. Further I personally have a $1 million umbrella liability policy for all aspects of life at about $20 per month, but I already had that before I started driving for Uber. I did get a copy of the Uber insurance policy to carry in my vehicle and I carry a full copy of my insurance policy (not just the card) that shows I carry the ride share gap protection coverage. Talk to your insurance company. They want to keep you as a customer. If they won't offer the proper coverage , switch to someone who will!

#20 · (Edited)
^^^ You live in Washington. Insurance laws are different in Oregon. As a retired Portland Police officer, you should know that. Is this the level of attention you paid as a cop? And yes, the insurance companies do want to keep you. They want you to keep paying in, but when it comes time to pay out...lots of luck with that one. That's what their business model is designed to do; take money in and refuse (as legally as possible) to pay anything out. It's like "health" insurance.

The retirement plan with the PPD must really suck if you find a need to earn money driving for Uber or Lyft?

#22 ·
Here ya go Mr. retired Portland Police Officer, known here as "Craftyfellow." This will be another (of the many) "we have insurance" claims where an Uber driver is at fault, but the victim will have to hire a lawyer because Uber will claim innocent...like they've done with us over the last 5 months. If this driver is licensed and insured in Oregon, he WILL be canceled by whoever his carrier is/was.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Man-pushes-friend-out-of-oncoming-cars-path-351293201.html

#24 ·
Here ya go Mr. retired Portland Police Officer, known here as "Craftyfellow." This will be another (of the many) "we have insurance" claims where an Uber driver is at fault, but the victim will have to hire a lawyer because Uber will claim innocent...like they've done with us over the last 5 months. If this driver is licensed and insured in Oregon, he WILL be canceled by whoever his carrier is/was.
The article says the driver wasn't driving for Uber at the time of the accident. Therefore his insurance will not be cancelled and IS in fact valid for this accident.

#25 ·
I have been an Uber driver for a few months, only a couple hours per week. (I'm retired and have other income).

Recently I decided to change insurance to Hartford which was a few hundred dollars cheaper. When I mentioned I was with Uber I was told they wouldn't issue a policy. I then tried USAA and 21st Century and got the same reply.

I am ready to terminate my association with Uber if I can't find a reasonable alternative.

Any suggestions?

#26 ·
Strummer,

I can only tell you about the policy I received from USAA which offers coverage. They only issue policies to current or past military officers (commissioned or non-commisioned) and their families. I served and am eligible. You may have been turned down as not meeting the group criteria. But at least for Washington state, they issued a policy for me. Phillipzx3 above makes a point that each state can make their own insurance laws and may make it difficult in Oregon. I can not speak of Oregon insurance law. Have you contacted uber support? When I signed up I remember they had another suggested company that offers a rider. Of course like you, I am only driving a few hours per week. If switching to another company costs you more for insurance than you earn, uber may not work for you. Good luck!

#29 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum as of this afternoon, and I am not yet an Uber driver, although I am on the mailing list and I am seriously considering becoming a driver.

I am considering Uber because my current job as a taxi driver doesn't pay me a living wage, and I am hoping make a few dollars extra per hour, as well as work fewer hours. I don't get paid overtime either. However, I'm not going to jump off the deep end unless I know I have insurance coverage.

So, I have been doing my research, and I have found two potential solutions: Onguard Insurance and AIS. Both are claiming to offer supplemental adders to their personal insurance products that would cover Oregon rideshare drivers.

Because I am new to this forum, I cannot share links with all of you, so in your search engine, type AIS or Onguard and the words rideshare and insurance. The links ought to pop up.

I have not received quotes from either of these companies yet, however, I thought I would share the information because this is quite the lively discussion!

Good luck and hopefully everyone continues to Uber-on!

Cmacfergus

#30 ·
This is what can happen in Oregon.....Your agent says "no problem" so you think you're good to go. Then you get in an accident while in Period 1. Now your agent finds out you've been using your personal policy while conducting a commercial business with your car. The city of Portland has you registered as a business with UberLyft and the insurance companies (now) have access to a growing database of pictures showing Uber/Lyft and the licence plate. You now get a denied claim and a notice of cancellation in the mail.

People are uploading pictures by the hundreds each day to this database. There's about 1000 cars so far.

Take the chance if you like. But unless you've insured yourself to commercial levels, you might be sued into lifelong poverty.

There's only one cab company in Portland that is still thriving. The others have adapted UberTaxi as their dispatch method.

The law in Oregon is commercial insurance on a livery vehicle, no matter how little you "Uber." Just because Uber or some misinformed Uber drivers tell you that all is fine, doesn't change the States regulations.

#32 ·
http://www.onguardinsurance.com/tnc-insurance/ They claim about $10/month more but more than what?
https://www.aisinsurance.com/products/vehicle/rideshare-insurance.aspx#t4 They claim about 20 cents more / day but more than what?

I have Geico & pay $875 / yr for a 2010 Ford Flex SEL. I pay twice a year but if I made monthly payments it'd be about 15% more.

If it's my fault:
Bodily Injury coverage - $100k / $300k max
Property Damage - $50k max per occurrence

Personal Injury Protection - $0 deductible
Medical - $10k max per occurrence
Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury - $100k per person, $300k per occurrence
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage - $20k per occurrence
Comprehensive - $0 deductible (Just got a new windshield - cost me zip)
Collision - $500 deductible
Emergency Road Service (Covers towing, lockout, labor for flat tires, or delivery of a loaned battery)
Rental Car Reimbursement ($35/Day, $1,050 Max toward expenses for a rental car while repairs are being completed as a result of a covered loss.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.