Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A new insurance policy for ridesharing in Ontario

We're pleased to announce a new and innovative insurance policy designed for ridesharing.

Intact Financial, in partnership with Uber Canada, today announced it has gained approval for a new form of ridesharing insurance in Ontario. The new insurance product purchased by Uber protects all driver-partners from the moment drivers make themselves available to accept a ride request until passengers have exited the vehicle.

In the event of an accident, you and your passengers are protected by this policy, covering third party liability, standard accident benefits and physical damage.

GET MORE INFO

Get Help
View Online
Unsubscribe
Uber B.V.
Vijzelstraat 68
1017 HL Amsterdam
Privacy
Terms

·
Registered
107 Posts
Uber has purchased this policy from Intact. Driver‐partners do not need to purchase anything in connectionwith this polic

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do I need to buy commercial insurance?
You do not need to purchase commercial insurance to meet the City’s requirement for ridesharing. This newpolicy has been purchased from Intact by Uber to cover all Uber rideshare partners from the moment theygo online to when they complete their last trip and sign off. This policy also meets the requirements outlinedby the City and protects you and third parties from claims during

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems now they don't need more canned responses when inquiring about insurance... So we still keep our insurance and this one is added on top... Can we tell our insurance company we drive for uber now?

·
Registered
390 Posts
It seems now they don't need more canned responses when inquiring about insurance... So we still keep our insurance and this one is added on top... Can we tell our insurance company we drive for uber now?
Yes you can. This is a total win-win, no out of pocket expense and from what it says, you can tell your insurance company you drive for Uber since the policy is only in effect when the app is on and when pax exits your vehicle....curious, does anyone see that it's a good idea to upgrade your vehicle to 2011 or newer or is it still a unanimous bad idea?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Good question

·
Registered
57 Posts
So if we are with another insurance provider, we don't have to switch over to Intact, right?

Uber buys this insurance on our behalf every time we drive with the APP on.

what about people who have coverage with Aviva for Ride sharing add on. Can they cancel it and continue driving with only their regular Auto coverage?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Here's the FAQ from the Mothership:

New insurance policy for ridesharing in Ontario FAQ for Uber driver‐partners in Ontario
July 7, 2016
Does this policy meet requirements of cities that have passed ridesharing regulations?
Yes. This policy has been approved by the Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO) and it meets the requirements found in ridesharing regulations where Uber operates in the province.
Do partners have to pay for this new policy?
Uber has purchased this policy from Intact. Driver‐partners do not need to purchase anything in connection with this policy.
Do I need to buy commercial insurance?
You do not need to purchase commercial insurance to meet the City's requirement for ridesharing. This new policy has been purchased from Intact by Uber to cover all Uber rideshare partners from the moment they go online to when they complete their last trip and sign off. This policy also meets the requirements outlined by the City and protects you and third parties from claims during Uber trips.
What does Uber's new policy cover?
Details on this insurance coverage can be found on our blog via t.uber.com/ONInsurance. You can find a
copy of the Certificate of Insurance in your driver app.
If I already have personal insurance, do I need to do anything to have valid coverage while driving on Uber?
Active Uber driver‐ partners will be covered by this new policy automatically. Driver‐partners still require personal insurance for times when they are not on the app. We have partnered with Aon to enable you to get quotes from multiple rideshare friendly insurers. You can reach them via
quote.aon.ca/quickquote or at 1‐800‐448‐2539 (open from 8AM to 5:30PM ET).
Do I have to tell my insurance company that I'm driving with Uber?
Uber driver‐partners should notify their personal auto insurance providers about their ridesharing activity. However, note that Uber's insurance policy becomes primary coverage from the moment drivers make
themselves available to accept a ride request until passengers have exited the vehicle.
What if I hold ridesharing insurance already?
You should consult with your insurer regarding the nature of your ridesharing insurance and what it covers to determine whether you still need it or not.
Do I still need personal insurance coverage?
Yes.
Driver‐partners still require personal insurance for times when they are not on the Uber app.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Say you have an accident driving for uber, will your premium for your personal insurance go up?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Be carreful for gaps between your policy and Uber's. I would make sure my insurer knows I am Ubering and that he is Ok with it. They say in their info to contact the broker AON to find a ridesharing friendly insurer. Yours might not like it as it will be costly to know if you were Ubering or not the day you have a claim.

·
Registered
477 Posts
So if we are with another insurance provider, we don't have to switch over to Intact, right?

Uber buys this insurance on our behalf every time we drive with the APP on.

what about people who have coverage with Aviva for Ride sharing add on. Can they cancel it and continue driving with only their regular Auto coverage?
Correct, as long as you're Online you're covered.
You still have to notify your own insurance company of your rideshare activities if you want your collision and comprehensive coverage to be in effect. UBER's policy is only contingent there. Meaning only if your own policy denied a claim would it cover your vehicle.
If you don't have collision or comprehensive coverage on your own policy. You also won't have it while online for UBER.

Insurance companies may elect NOT to allow this, so you'd be looking for a new insurer.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts