Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Instacart's latest policy will give you less time to change a tip after delivery

Instacart is revising it's tipping policy to keep users from taking advantage of the system by "tip baiting."

Tip baiting happens when a customer lures in a shopper by inputting a big tip then reducing the amount after the groceries are delivered. It's a tactic that's been deployed more often during the pandemic with more Americans avoiding trips to the grocery store.

Starting Monday, Instacart users have 24 hours after a delivery is made to withdraw tips. Before, customers had up to three days to rescind or alter them.

A full day is still generous by delivery service standards. Uber Eats lets users edit tips for up to one hour after orders arrive. Postmates gives users 10 hours to change tips.

Despite the bait-and-switch issue, Instacart shoppers are making more money from tips during the pandemic, the company said. And tip bating is a relatively rare occurrence.

Only 0.25% of orders had a tip adjusted after 24 hours and less than 0.5% of tips are removed entirely after groceries are delivered, Instacart said. Still, the company realizes "that it's disappointing for shoppers in the rare case that this happens," Instacart said.

The company has hired over 150,000 staffers because of the COVID-19 crisis as the service has gained popularity. Instacart connects customers with nearby personal shoppers who gather provisions at local grocery stores for home delivery.

But with the surge in usage has also come a few issues.

First, people complained about the lack of delivery slots available, while others claimed that personal shoppers are stealing groceries. Instacart has periodically rolled out new tools and features to help solve service issues.

·
Rebel Honey Badger
17,938 Posts
I think they are doing this because they determined many pax were changing the tips a day or two later, when they thought the driver was less likely to notice it. Once the customers figure out the time has been shortened, I'm sure they will try and scam the driver sooner. If Instant Pay is available on Instacart, as a driver I would be screenshotting and cashing out as as soon as I get the tip.

·
Administrator
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if Instacart tracks their customers who leave bad reviews and reverse tips on their drivers and ban them from using the platform you know, Iike Uber told us they would do to pax that made false allegations?

Honestly, I don't know how the rating system works for Instacart, I hate grocery shopping on a good day, can't imagine shopping for someone else.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I wonder if Instacart tracks their customers who leave bad reviews and reverse tips on their drivers and ban them from using the platform you know, Iike Uber told us they would do to pax that made false allegations?

Honestly, I don't know how the rating system works for Instacart, I hate grocery shopping on a good day, can't imagine shopping for someone else.
It sucked. Stores I rarely shopped in personally. Food I'd never buy for myself so I had no idea where it might be. Bad layouts. 5 different locations for milk. **** almond milk btw.

·
Rebel Honey Badger
17,938 Posts

I'm watching my local news, (seeing what's left of the city after last night's riots and shootings 🙄) and this story just ran. They said that yes, Instacart is tracking customers and are going to eliminate people who are shown to be behaving in this manner.

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
If Instant Pay is available on Instacart, as a driver I would be screenshotting and cashing out as as soon as I get the tip.
You can do that on Uber or Lyft, but I dont think you can do it on Instacart.

But seriously ... 24 HOURS?! What a joke, it wont make a difference at all.

Just take that option away. On Domino's, whatever the customer tipped before the order was delivered, is the final amount. If there is a problem with the order (item missing, wrong item, etc ...), the customer can call the store and management will fix the problem with them. Of course there can be drivers that are not doing their job properly, either on purpose or not, but those can be tracked and dealt with later. Same applies to customers that complain too much constantly.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Order groceries, offer large tip, have a random psycho incapable of solving a problem without violence deliver said groceries to the place you sleep at night, then yank the tip? idk seems smart.

·
Registered
242 Posts
my favorite is schedule early am pick up going to the airport, then change destination, after driver arrives, to your morning job at walmart 2 blocks away.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I signed up to shop over the pandemic but I've been a bit hesitant to get out there because of the tip baiting circus that has been reported. I might actually give this a go this weekend as well as food delivery. I was going to go out there last weekend but that wanna be Tropical Storm kept me at home.

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
I don't do Instacart, but as soon as I heard of this crap I had to ask...

"Don't these people realize that the person they just screwed over knows where they live?"

Sure, customers had up to 3 days to screw the shopper out of the agreed to tip, but the shopper has pretty much unlimited days to huck a rock through a window.

Just thinking out loud.

·
Premium Member
3,323 Posts

Instacart's latest policy will give you less time to change a tip after delivery

Instacart is revising it's tipping policy to keep users from taking advantage of the system by "tip baiting."

Tip baiting happens when a customer lures in a shopper by inputting a big tip then reducing the amount after the groceries are delivered. It's a tactic that's been deployed more often during the pandemic with more Americans avoiding trips to the grocery store.

Starting Monday, Instacart users have 24 hours after a delivery is made to withdraw tips. Before, customers had up to three days to rescind or alter them.

A full day is still generous by delivery service standards. Uber Eats lets users edit tips for up to one hour after orders arrive. Postmates gives users 10 hours to change tips.

Despite the bait-and-switch issue, Instacart shoppers are making more money from tips during the pandemic, the company said. And tip bating is a relatively rare occurrence.

Only 0.25% of orders had a tip adjusted after 24 hours and less than 0.5% of tips are removed entirely after groceries are delivered, Instacart said. Still, the company realizes "that it's disappointing for shoppers in the rare case that this happens," Instacart said.

The company has hired over 150,000 staffers because of the COVID-19 crisis as the service has gained popularity. Instacart connects customers with nearby personal shoppers who gather provisions at local grocery stores for home delivery.

First, people complained about the lack of delivery slots available, while others claimed that personal shoppers are stealing groceries. Instacart has periodically rolled out new tools and features to help solve service issues.
I'm signed up for Instacart. Got that card and lanyard. I lost interest quickly after reading all the negativity about the company.

I know one cabbie that is basically a BUTLER and does well taking care of elderly folks he met while driving the taxi. He makes like $500 a week on one person alone. There is another person he runs errands for. He says it's risky running up a bill of credit for them, but they pay. I don't know if I would work on those terms either.

Reactions: MHR

·
Premium Member
12,136 Posts

I don't see how this solves anything.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
I'm pretty sure 24 hours is still ample time for scammers to scam. :rollseyes:
They even pointed out that most scamming happens before 24 hours.

It should be 1 hour at most, and there should be a minimum they HAVE to tip unless something so egregious happens that they file a police report for theft.

So regardless of what they tip they should be immediately told that the first $25 of that CANNOT be taken back after delivery, even in that hour. If they actually had to file a police report and prove they didn't get their groceries or something was damaged they would simply not put in a big tip in the first place if they planned to take it back.

Then if there's a $100 tip the driver knows they'll get at least $25 no matter what.

I don't see how this solves anything.
It solves nothing. It's to make it look like they fixed something, when they didn't. It's a PR move.

my favorite is schedule early am pick up going to the airport, then change destination, after driver arrives, to your morning job at walmart 2 blocks away.
I had one of those. I kicked them out. Told them it said 45 minutes, and that was what i accepted, so the contract was null and void.

You can do that on Uber or Lyft, but I dont think you can do it on Instacart.

But seriously ... 24 HOURS?! What a joke, it wont make a difference at all.

Just take that option away. On Domino's, whatever the customer tipped before the order was delivered, is the final amount. If there is a problem with the order (item missing, wrong item, etc ...), the customer can call the store and management will fix the problem with them. Of course there can be drivers that are not doing their job properly, either on purpose or not, but those can be tracked and dealt with later. Same applies to customers that complain too much constantly.
When I was at Dominos the only way you got it changed was if the entire order was canceled. If an item was forgotten it would be sent out but if the customer was upset, they'd just get a credit for the next order. The driver tip wouldn't change. The only way the order would be canceled would be if they returned everything, and scammers don't do that. Folks who missed their breadsticks don't either. They're happy to get them and a credit for free food later.

But if you're a good driver, Dominos wants to keep you. Uber and these app companies don't care about keeping any drivers.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts