Uber Drivers Forum banner

Are Uber and Lyft synchronizing to create a limiting average yearly income

• There is definitely manipulation

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • There are things you can do to make an unlimited amount of money with Uber and Lyft

Votes: 4 44.4%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping somebody else can relate to what I've been going through for the entire time I've been working for Uber and Lyft I've done over 6,000 rides between the two of them and three different major cities including San Francisco Bay Area Phoenix Arizona and Seattle Washington.

The experience I have is no matter what you do no matter how intelligently you play you cannot win this game and that they are constantly manipulating and controlling everything and seems like even the two app synchronize together.

It doesn't matter how many hours I login I log into both apps at the same time drive to major areas drive around and around sit parked turn off the app turn on the app it doesn't matter what you do once you made a certain amount of money you're not able to get any more rides or they will just spaced out your rides so perfectly far apart and they will be short distances to add up to only making a certain amount per day. If you make over $170 one day $200 the next day you just will not make barely anything if you make one good week next week you will just be offset they just won't give you any rides or you'll just get short rides or you'll get right so spaced away that by the time you're done with your 12 hours of work you're not able to make over a certain amount.

You can go to where the surge is and you just won't get a ride you can go to the most busiest spot in Seattle downtown drive around and Friday night no matter what I've done I've only been able to make a certain amount per month and then a certain amount per year. I've done everything from only accepting the long rides canceling the ones that I found out where short after accepting it only accepting The Surge rides going to where the events are worked 14 hours 16 hours work 7 days a week. It seems like it doesn't matter what you do how smart you play it it's not up to you still even though it should be I should be able to go to a busy area and get more rides I should be able to get a bunch of long trips and one day because I got lucky because I just happened to be in the right area the right I shouldn't only make a certain amount per day there should be days you have a crazy amount of money and there should be days where you make a low amount of money but it seems like no matter what it always averages out to the same income. Why should I not have a day where I get a airport ride that pays $60 that has happened by the way and then right away 10 minutes later I get another ride that's $20 and then sure I wait about 15-20 minutes but then after that I get another ride since I'm logged into both Uber and Lyft I'm in a busy area because I drove to a busy area I should get more rides and it shouldn't stop if it's the weekend and it's night time and I'm in a busy area it shouldn't matter how much money I've already made I shouldn't stop getting rides I shouldn't only get the low paying rides I shouldn't have my day perfectly orchestrated by somebody to make it to where I only am able to make a certain amount per day no matter what I do.

I would ask for any tips or ideas from people here but everyone has told me just about everything that I already do go drive to a busy area go to downtown Drive during these times drive around don't sit still sit still turn on both apps don't turn on both apps accept ubereats deliveries as well I've done just about everything it's hard to explain but like I'm the one going through it the only person that could see what I go through is someone who sits in the passenger seat with me and sticks it out through my whole day they will see what happens they will see what I'm talking about.

I know that this is real because they do manage all the rides they do know how many hours you're logged in they do know everything they know your location they know everything they can control everything they can make sure you do not get a ride they can make sure that you only make certain amount.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
I'm hoping somebody else can relate to what I've been going through for the entire time I've been working for Uber and Lyft I've done over 6,000 rides between the two of them and three different major cities including San Francisco Bay Area Phoenix Arizona and Seattle Washington.

The experience I have is no matter what you do no matter how intelligently you play you cannot win this game and that they are constantly manipulating and controlling everything and seems like even the two app synchronize together.

It doesn't matter how many hours I login I log into both apps at the same time drive to major areas drive around and around sit parked turn off the app turn on the app it doesn't matter what you do once you made a certain amount of money you're not able to get any more rides or they will just spaced out your rides so perfectly far apart and they will be short distances to add up to only making a certain amount per day. If you make over $170 one day $200 the next day you just will not make barely anything if you make one good week next week you will just be offset they just won't give you any rides or you'll just get short rides or you'll get right so spaced away that by the time you're done with your 12 hours of work you're not able to make over a certain amount.

You can go to where the surge is and you just won't get a ride you can go to the most busiest spot in Seattle downtown drive around and Friday night no matter what I've done I've only been able to make a certain amount per month and then a certain amount per year. I've done everything from only accepting the long rides canceling the ones that I found out where short after accepting it only accepting The Surge rides going to where the events are worked 14 hours 16 hours work 7 days a week. It seems like it doesn't matter what you do how smart you play it it's not up to you still even though it should be I should be able to go to a busy area and get more rides I should be able to get a bunch of long trips and one day because I got lucky because I just happened to be in the right area the right I shouldn't only make a certain amount per day there should be days you have a crazy amount of money and there should be days where you make a low amount of money but it seems like no matter what it always averages out to the same income. Why should I not have a day where I get a airport ride that pays $60 that has happened by the way and then right away 10 minutes later I get another ride that's $20 and then sure I wait about 15-20 minutes but then after that I get another ride since I'm logged into both Uber and Lyft I'm in a busy area because I drove to a busy area I should get more rides and it shouldn't stop if it's the weekend and it's night time and I'm in a busy area it shouldn't matter how much money I've already made I shouldn't stop getting rides I shouldn't only get the low paying rides I shouldn't have my day perfectly orchestrated by somebody to make it to where I only am able to make a certain amount per day no matter what I do.

I would ask for any tips or ideas from people here but everyone has told me just about everything that I already do go drive to a busy area go to downtown Drive during these times drive around don't sit still sit still turn on both apps don't turn on both apps accept ubereats deliveries as well I've done just about everything it's hard to explain but like I'm the one going through it the only person that could see what I go through is someone who sits in the passenger seat with me and sticks it out through my whole day they will see what happens they will see what I'm talking about.

I know that this is real because they do manage all the rides they do know how many hours you're logged in they do know everything they know your location they know everything they can control everything they can make sure you do not get a ride they can make sure that you only make certain amount.
--Lyft does manage earnings in the sense that the driver that has been online in the area the longest gets the ping.

--Uber does not manage earnings.

·
Banned
1,151 Posts
Uber algoritm has changed alot. There are alot "If" conditions there now. You have to go through alot of If's before getting a ping. Your proximity to the pax is just one out of so many conditions. Remember when we could receive a ping from our pax sitting inside the car? Not anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Uber algoritm has changed alot. There are alot "If" conditions there now. You have to go through alot of If's before getting a ping. Your proximity to the pax is just one out of so many conditions. Remember when we could receive a ping from our pax sitting inside the car? Not anymore.
I think this is something a lot of people miss. The dispatch algo is constantly being tweaked and changed. You think they've hired legions of software engineers to come up with "closest car gets the ping?"

I got a ping from 14 minutes away today just as I was looking at the pax app on an account sandboxed from my primary accounts (different phone, different number, different email, different name, different name on the CC card, etc). There were four or five cars between myself and the ping address, some sitting right next to the address. I took the ping, called ahead to confirm that they weren't going to cancel and that they were going to the airport. Passed those cars with drivers sitting in them, all waiting for their AP pings (almost assuredly with their DFs on, too.) This happens fairly regularly, both out in the burbs and in town. I'll go into an area crawling with ants, moments later, ping to the airport from blocks over clear on the other side of a bunch of other ants. There are a LOT more factors in play than just proximity. Your AR, CR, driver ratings, how you rate your pax, etc, all of it matters. There is almost nothing that doesn't matter.

This isn't to say that there isn't more than one way to skin a cat. You can play Uber's game and be rewarded by the system or you can cherry pick with a low AR and high CR and maybe get the same results. Compared to a lot of UP posters, I have a high AR, low CR, high rating and generally don't downrate pax excessively or capriciously. The system consistently gives me AP runs. A lot of that has to do with my game and where I fish and at what times, how I use my DFs, etc, but even running naked, I get priority on plum fares over other ants. (Also, not to say I don't get bullshit pings that I don't accept, like pax from the store parking lot I might be sitting in).

It used to be that I would try to jockey for position in any given neighborhood. Now, I just roll in, find a good, safe place close the building or neighborhood I'm targeting, post up and wait for the ping.

·
Premium Member
3,076 Posts
IMHO: Lyft's algorithm appears to reward consistent acceptance in terms of sending pings, but also seems to use "balance" regarding earnings -- it will attempt to give a nice profitable ride and then a shortie and then a nice profitable ride again if you maintain close to a 100% accept rate over the course of two hours (example), however the rides later seems to even out to average rides. The algorithm will pout and not dispatch so freely to you if you decline a bunch of rides.
IMHO: Uber's algorithm for dispatching pings weighs heavily on Accept Rate and driver rating, as one can think it does not use proximity as a heavily weighted factor. I don't know if the accept rate component is reset after a certain time period, say after every 60 minutes since the last ride.

However, consider: I have a high rating on Lyft and a so-so rating on Uber. So, why would Uber want to give me all-star runs unless I was the only one nearby to service them?
I suspect and am fearful driver ratings will play heavily for dispatch trends in cross-pollination to the UberPro system they are pushing, and also the new Uber Passenger app now allows people to seek or aim for highly rated drivers.

·
Registered
125 Posts
OP seems to be playing the “start trip see short destination, cancel ride” game. Uber doesn’t like that. Yes, you will be deprioritized for that. Same on Lyft. People don’t think so because Lyft you don’t have to start the trip to see destination. As someone said above...why do you think they have hired tons of software engineers? To program closet car gets ping.

Look OP your account is probably too frelled up at this point. You might have to take every single trip for a week to flush out your “bad driver” data.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Keep in mind, OP, that you now are driving in the slowest season and in competition with 18,000 other drivers in King County alone.

If you're not earning enough using your current scheme & schedule, then change it up. If you drive at night and in DT Seattle, you'll face the greatest number of competing drivers. So, move to areas with smaller anthills and drive at different times than what you're used to. Experimentation may take time, but looking for patterns that you can exploit is always worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Keep in mind, OP, that you now are driving in the slowest season and in competition with 18,000 other drivers in King County alone.

If you're not earning enough using your current scheme & schedule, then change it up. If you drive at night and in DT Seattle, you'll face the greatest number of competing drivers. So, move to areas with smaller anthills and drive at different times than what you're used to. Experimentation may take time, but looking for patterns that you can exploit is always worthwhile.
I want to say that that it's not longer the case, the days when you could develop a strategy seemed to have gone. All that goes out the window once Uber/Lyft decide what trips they will feed you, when and where. Their criteria seemed to have change lately, now is about acceptance rate and cancellation rate( basically how much you surrender to their rules), I don't even think that your star rating matters as much.
And there is definitely a control over your earnings, I've seen it happened first hand, there have been times when I get very profitable rides that have render upwards of $50-60/hr in a 2-3 hr. block then all the sudden both apps go silent for a very long time(1 or 2 hrs.) even if you are sitting in the middle Crap Hill at surge time or rush hour you're not getting any pings.

Is evident the two apps talk to each other because I've seen pings popping up from both apps literally at the same time, not matter the hour or the area and this happens with such frequency, that there is just not doubt. Some could argue that because of the season being slow but I started to see these changes happening since the new app was launched so we can't really blame it on the season entirely.

·
Premium Member
3,076 Posts
And there is definitely a control over your earnings, I've seen it happened first hand, there have been times when I get very profitable rides that have render upwards of $50-60/hr in a 2-3 hr. block then all the sudden both apps go silent for a very long time(1 or 2 hrs.) even if you are sitting in the middle Crap Hill at surge time or rush hour you're not getting any pings.
But, it is worthwhile to ask: Did you get super-profitable rides on both apps before both apps went silent ? I think this is an important, pertinent question.

·
Premium Member
3,076 Posts
Wait a minute.... could the two apps use geotracking to do a double-blind analysis to assume if you get a long ride on one or the other? We know the Uber app learns habits.
These things can be set to be track while offline but app is active. Check your app settings. Figuratively the apps can peek at my camera (both) and my contacts (Lyft) and my saved phone photos (Lyft) if I don’t review. Serious.

·
Premium Member
8,452 Posts
In the early part of January, I was earning slightly less than usual, but still coming home with something that I would deem acceptable. Maybe $100-$200 less per week. Enough to staying, but workable. This week, I’ve worked 10+ hour days, and unless there is an explosion of business tomorrow or this afternoon I can look forward to making between $400 and $500 for the whole week. After my $181 Car payment, that leaves almost nothing left.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do specifically remember a couple of years ago sitting in the car with a passenger that requested a uber ride in my car and I received the ride in an area like San Jose California Bay Area so I know that the algorithm definitely has changed and it's not all based off of proximity however utilizing both Uber and Lyft apps should change the factor to my advantage to get more steady rides and more random long distance rides.

·
Banned
1,151 Posts
I do specifically remember a couple of years ago sitting in the car with a passenger that requested a uber ride in my car and I received the ride in an area like San Jose California Bay Area so I know that the algorithm definitely has changed and it's not all based off of proximity however utilizing both Uber and Lyft apps should change the factor to my advantage to get more steady rides and more random long distance rides.
I remember the time when I would take myself home for the last trip of the quest. :D:D:D
Good old days.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.