Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that Lyft allows out of state plates and registration but Uber doesn't? I was expecting it to be the opposite since Lyft's requirement for everything else were a bit more strict than Uber. So basically you cannot travel and drive in another market/state with Uber unless you move there and register in that state and get new plates!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Depends on state laws and the platform requirements. Lyft actually allows drivers to drive anywhere, as long as they're in their own vehicle. There's a very informative podcast on The Rideshare Guy about a Lyft driver who drove in something like 40 states in 60 days or something like that. Uber will allow you to drive with out of state plates, but only in the state you onboard for. However, states also have a say... in Colorado, the Public Utilities Commission regulates taxis and TNCs, and says that all TNC vehicles must be registered in Colorado and have CO plates. Having said that, I've seen cars at the DIA FIFO lot with out of state plates. When I first onboarded with Uber, I had Wyoming plates, even though I was driving in Colorado. Uber let it go, even though it clearly violated the PUC's TNC regulations.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Lyft page for onboarding requires in-state plates. I'm interested in knowing more, is there anyone at Lyft that could give a definitive answer? Or is more like once you're int he system you can run wild?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I put this to the test 2 weeks ago when I was in Irvin CA with my AZ registered Vehicle I turned on the Uber App and got blocked but when I turned on Lyft to my surprise was able to accept rides if I wanted too but I was just seeing if it would let me. Then I started getting text messages from lyft about hourly and info in that location in CA.

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
Lyft page for onboarding requires in-state plates. I'm interested in knowing more, is there anyone at Lyft that could give a definitive answer? Or is more like once you're int he system you can run wild?
I'd be a little more concerned about my insurance allowing me to operate commercially in another state. I know there are many tri state areas that most likely already address this issue, but it's always better to be sure. I'm SUV and carry my own commercial policy. Under no circumstances are we covered in any other state. An out of state endorsement runs us around $75/day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts