Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new to this forum and have been doing Uber Eats in NYC for about a year now. I was using HyreCar to have a vehicle to do courier work with but my account is on hold with them at the moment as I am in the process of clearing up an issue with them. Since I was paying around $30-50 daily to rent a car off of there and while a lot of car rental apps are very pricy, would anybody know where I would be able to rent a vehicle for a similar rate I paid with HyreCar in the New York City, Westchester, Long Island or even Upstate areas along with North New Jersey? And also which app could I download and use? I was told Turo (which I may go with) or Fair (not available in my state) but I just wanted to see all of my options. Thank you in advance for any input.

·
Premium Member
7,926 Posts
I would never rent a car ever, wouldn't that rental money be better used to pay off your own car
He is NYC.

more than likely a parking space would cost more that what he's paying total to rent cars from these services.

Different math in NYC.

Truth be told that at 2016 or 2017 pay rates $50-75 a day to rent a car makes sense. In NYC it still probobly does.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
He is NYC.

more than likely a parking space would cost more that what he's paying total to rent cars from these services.

Different math in NYC.

Truth be told that at 2016 or 2017 pay rates $50-75 a day to rent a car makes sense. In NYC it still probobly does.
I understand what you've said.....but.....you still have to park a rental car at the end of the day. Am I right?

·
Premium Member
7,926 Posts
Yeah but if you only rent it for the days your working?

ie you wouldn’t rent it 31 days a month if you only rented it on weekends.

If had to pay foe parking for the taxi I would only need to pay for parking for 4-5 days a month.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Yeah but if you only rent it for the days your working?

ie you wouldn't rent it 31 days a month if you only rented it on weekends.

If had to pay foe parking for the taxi I would only need to pay for parking for 4-5 days a month.
Understood....but.....but.....but....that rental price might only be good for weekly or monthly rentals. We just don't know.
Manhattan, maybe parts of Brooklyn, are really the only places you have to stress about parking. Maybe a little bit of the Bronx. Lots of drivers I am sure, live in Queens, Staten Island and even the burbs, and plenty of them have driveways and stuff. I'm guessing most drivers do not in fact live in Manhattan.

·
Premium Member
7,926 Posts
you guys wanted to know why you would rent a car,

I gave you a hypothetical.

If you only worked two days a week for these services renting a car at 30-50 a day COULD make a lot more sense, NYC is one of the rare parts of the country where you can live without a car afterall.

Let's say he only worked 6 days a month, that's $180-300..

compared to insurance and a car payment that's a lot less.

Reactions: New2This

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Take it from me who use to rent cars for $449 weekly. It’s not worth it. If you can buy your own car, do it. I didn’t have my own parking space with my rental car and I don’t have parking with my own car. Paying weekly for rental + insurance weekly is too much. Also paying for EZ pass. When the car needs maintenance you gotta drive to the rental place and wait maybe 2 hours to do whatever maintenance needed. This is what I used to go through. I felt so much better when I got my own car and not dealing with these weekly rental payments. Everyone has their own opinion and if anyone rather rent a car then I respect your opinion. I just personally think in the long run it’s better to own your own car. What I paid monthly for my car was less than what I paid weekly for the rental.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ford Fusion Plug-in Hybrid
2,337 Posts
Take it from me who use to rent cars for $449 weekly. It's not worth it. If you can buy your own car, do it. I didn't have my own parking space with my rental car and I don't have parking with my own car. Paying weekly for rental + insurance weekly is too much. Also paying for EZ pass. When the car needs maintenance you gotta drive to the rental place and wait maybe 2 hours to do whatever maintenance needed. This is what I used to go through. I felt so much better when I got my own car and not dealing with these weekly rental payments. Everyone has their own opinion and if anyone rather rent a car then I respect your opinion. I just personally think in the long run it's better to own your own car. What I paid monthly for my car was less than what I paid weekly for the rental.
$449 weekly???? Wow. Now I'm no math wiz but that is like $1800 a month! How long did you do the weekly rental?

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
$449 weekly???? Wow. Now I'm no math wiz but that is like $1800 a month! How long did you do the weekly rental?
I did it for about 5-6 months when I just got fed up and decided to finance a car. Yes it's about $1800 a month. You barely make any money for yourself and you have a house and family to take care of. You'd have to live on the road 24/7 to make good money and that's suicide.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ford Fusion Plug-in Hybrid
2,337 Posts
I did it for about 5-6 months when I just got fed up and decided to finance a car. Yes it's about $1800 a month. You barely make any money for yourself and you have a house and family to take care of. You'd have to live on the road 24/7 to make good money and that's suicide.
I'm glad to hear you got out of that mess pretty quick. I wanted to say you could have got a $6000 reliable beater in 5-6 months but that is sometimes easier said than done. Good for you though :)

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I'm glad to hear you got out of that mess pretty quick. I wanted to say you could have got a $6000 reliable beater in 5-6 months but that is sometimes easier said than done. Good for you though :smiles:
Yes it's easier said than done but I'm just glad to be out of that mess.
Taxis go for as much as $900 something a WEEK here..
I've seen yellow cabs that say on the back of the car $1200 weekly. Yellow cabs aren't even making good money anymore from what I hear so I don't understand how they're able to afford it. My father-in-law and a few drivers I met on the road had to switch to Uber because business was getting bad for them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts