Uber Drivers Forum banner

Would you be interested to make extra money doing this?

• Yes

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 22.2%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read on the forums somewhere that Uber allows in-car advertising for UberX. I am thinking of starting a marketing company that advertises in UberX cars, paying drivers to have a tablet/iPad attached to their headrests or in their backseats promoting local businesses to riders. There would be minimal to no additional involvement needed other than installing the provided headrest mounts and tablets in their car. Something like the image below.

Is this something the UberX community would be interested in? Obviously there would be an opportunity to make some extra cash, which is why an overwhelming majority of people drive in the first place. Apparently none of my friends/acquaintances drive for Uber/Lyft, so if any of you guys would be willing to answer a few questions, please send me a PM on here and maybe we can meet up to have a beer/coffee, chat and possibly do some testing.

Thank you in advance for your feedback, UberPeople of Minneapolis, it is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Do we provide our own iPad or tablet ? 75% of my passengers were from out of state and often times they asked me places to go. I could see the benefit of this idea.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Depends on the ads, riders may like it or may not, it could affect the drivers rating if riders did not find it helpful.

·
Registered
724 Posts
As long as you don't push your passenger to use it. However the ads app needs to be user friendly, and hopefully there is an option to tip the driver (wishful thinking :) )

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I just have a hard time thinking there'd be decent money in it.

What would it be worth to advertisers? $1/ride? That seems pretty steep. Weekend rides have 2-4 Pax...how would they verify # of trips per participant...you would have to forward weekly summaries.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"I just have a hard time thinking there'd be decent money in it."

Goober -- that is what I'm trying to determine, if there is money to be made. The way I see it is if advertisers are paying money for static billboards, I feel like (at least certain companies) would get some value out of having interactive ads that have a clear call to action and could be processed directly from the back seat of an Uber/Lyft. What comes to mind is pizza delivery companies and events/concert tickets. Impulse buys for late night pizza or upcoming concerts could be beneficial to advertisers.

Example use case:
  • Ad is shown for an upcoming concert - date, time, venue, etc
  • Can include a button for the user to play a sample song from the artist
  • Another button would call to action "Buy Tickets Now"
  • User clicks "Buy Now" button, prompts for email address and to swipe card (or PayPal, etc)
  • Ticket is sent to email instantly
I'm not an expert in technology, advertising, nor ridesharing but I am interested in learning more about the combination of all of them. Which is why I'm soliciting feedback from the rideshare experts like those here at UberPeople. I really appreciate the knowledge and insight.

P.S. - I didn't know how to do the fancy quote thing. :)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Issues:
1. You want passenger to be comfortable and don't feel the pressure to purchase at that moment.
2. Making a purchase and payment takes time. In addition they may be afraid of identity theft.

My solution:
1. Passenger finds what they like and the app has a button to send the link to their email or Text/SMS.
2. Then they use their own phone to purchase or get more info.
3. Driver gets paid from the number of links sent to the passenger (item no.1). It's not by purchase, because it could be a link to a restaurant.
4. Links have to be designed in a website with PHP where it includes the passenger's email or phone number, so that the server could verify the email/phone is real, distinct from time to time (not the same person). It will prevent drivers from abusing the system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input, Uzcaliber.

I really like the link to email/SMS idea. Maybe rather than a "Buy Now" button it would be more along the "More Info" lines. My issue is that I am hesitant to put my phone number and/or email out there thinking that I'm going to get spammed like hell. QR codes or the like would be the best option but realistically nobody uses them - that whole QR/2D barcode thing didn't really take off with the public like some marketers thought, although I know in Manufacturing/Logistics/Shipping/Receiving it is very commonly used.

If the driver gets paid for the number of links, I fear it would turn them into a pushy salesman. You are right though, I think there does need to be some sort of commission-based incentive for the driver.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Entice passengers with coupon codes, such as 25% off coupon send into their email/Text. They may be willing to take the chance. Also put a big sign: "You will not get any spam email/text ....."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts