Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start doing this not to cherry pick but can confirm the below first;
1) number of pax (not trying to fit more than 4)
2) requester is over 18
3) do they have a child requiring a car seat
4) they won't cancel 4 min into drive to pickup pax (less likely too if you call)
5) confirm where they will be at

Was told you will get reported if so but if doing so for the right reasons it should not be an issue.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I hate talking on the phone, and I don't think pax like to be called either. Plus if I call, I can't watch GPS to see where they are. I don't have any other means of following GPS than my iphone.

I'd rather show up and find out numbers 1-3 are an issue, cancel and get the $6.

For #4 that one is tricky. If you call to confirm they won't cancel, there is still no guarantee they won't and then they might cancel just to spite you for calling.

#5 Instead of calling to ask where they will be, I text them to let them know where I am. If it's somewhere I can't park, like a busy street, I revert to calling.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I would like to start doing this not to cherry pick but can confirm the below first;
2) requester is over 18
4) they won't cancel 4 min into drive to pickup pax (less likely too if you call)

Was told you will get reported if so but if doing so for the right reasons it should not be an issue.
In California, at least those parts that pay .80 cents a mile net, we call to laugh at them before we cancel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is nothing wrong with communication but if you want to drive 10 minutes to cancel have fun.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
There is nothing wrong with communication but if you want to drive 10 minutes to cancel have fun.
Hoss if you called me I would cancel you. This isn't backwards California but Texas. If you start asking a bunch of questions most will think you have no clue what you're doing.
In other words. Don't ask a bunch of questions. K.I.S.S!

And as far as you go personally. Do what you feel. Remember if your rating drops may want to change. I will say that probably work very well in Katy or Woodlands where the stuff shirts live.

·
Registered
329 Posts
There is nothing wrong
I've given hundreds of rides and 1,2,3, & 4 have all happened once each which is not enough to constitute calling every pax. 5 is a bit more common and I do call occasionally

There isn't anything wrong with communication but to many questions is not a good thing. Do you have a link on the forum to show where they claim to do this in CA?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Some of you are a bunch of bitter cry babies but whatever floats your boat. And if you cancel me that's perfectly fine I don't waste my time on b.s.

I wouldn't call on night shifts or In downtown of course this is strictly for suburbs.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
2) requester is over 18

I really like that idea, as they all are legit questions and ensure the requester is abiding by the T&C's.
In all due respect the only one I wouldn't ask personally is the one about cancelling. It does suck that people do that, but it is the nature of the business.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I will personally call if I am certain that they dropped the pin somewhere that would not normally be a pickup place (like the skatepark downtown). If you let it go to voice mail, though, then the clock is ticking. For me, downtown is the hardest sometimes, because some people don't know that they can type in the name of the hotel/bar that they are at. For me, it's all a judgment call, though. I'll give it a best effort, especially during the day, but the later the night goes, the itchier my trigger finger gets.

Reactions: Pearlfect

·
Banned
62 Posts
I'm not going to baby these idiots. They ordered the ride, they get an ETA and have my current GPS location. That's more than enough.

I don't even wait 5 minutes anymore. I'm pulling away at 4 1/2 minutes and then canceling right when it hits 5 minutes a block or two away. I usually get a call 2 minutes later. I answer and immediately hang up. I usually get another call. Answer then immediately hang up. By the third call and hang up, they get the picture.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts