Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live in the east bay and have had nothing but awful nights and days. I have made a post here on the boards and now know that San Francisco is the only place to really drive... for the most part right?

The thing is Im so afraid of getting a ticket as I am a confident driver and a good driver but for sure NOT familiar driving in the city. I dont know about all the color coded curbs and signs that you ONLY see in the city. On Friday and Saturday nights I used to do well driving in the east bay but now thats gone. I was wondering if I would still do decent if I drove the late evening into the morning shift in San Fran and the surrounding areas? If I can still do good even though its overly saturated as I have read and now fully believe, I can tough it out with the ticket fear because I need to make money but Im afraid of getting some chicken shit ticket from a muni buss camera where I was in the wrong spot for 15 seconds driving off or waiting for a car.

Any quick help with this by chance or is it one of those things that I need to just go out there and learn where not to go?

Any help would be appreciated as I am apparently going to have to go there. There is no more money for me in the east bay.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The color coded curbs are the same across the entire state.

Avoid red curbs and bus stops - they're illegal to do pickups anywhere in the state btw, not just SF - and it's easy to get a ticket.

Yellow curbs you technically cannot do pickups or dropoffs at, but if the passenger is there waiting the risk is basically zero

White curbs you can do pickups and dropoffs and even wait up to 5 minutes.

Market street downtown has several blocks where it's not legal to do pickups. Call your passenger to get them to go to a side street.

My experience is that the only problem is the riders that wants to get picked up in a bus zone or crosswalk. Stand firm, and don't let them. Keep your doors locked and go someplace legal. Even consider cancelling, as the rider is more likely to be pissy and rate poorly

I mostly only drive evenings. Much less risk for tickets. Daylight hours are a bad combination of a much higher chance of getting caught breaking the law, and riders that want to break the law.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Weirdly enough you won't get a ticket for as long as you are scared and uncomfortable.

After a while you start doing things taxi drivers and other uber drivers do
This is so true!

SF is a "outta the pot and into the fire" kind of place, but a week in the grind, and you'll be much more comfortable.

Night driving is easiest as day time is a sh*tshow with all the construction and traffic, but you get used to it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
This is so true!

SF is a "outta the pot and into the fire" kind of place, but a week in the grind, and you'll be much more comfortable.

Night driving is easiest as day time is a sh*tshow with all the construction and traffic, but you get used to it.

Good luck!
night time is basically about watching out for pedestrians and trying not to double pack cause you will get hit.

night driving is usually fun

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Weirdly enough you won't get a ticket for as long as you are scared and uncomfortable.

After a while you start doing things taxi drivers and other uber drivers do
I was just going to mention.. The most important (and sometimes only) rule to driving in the city is be confident!! Second rule.. Always expect pedestrians.. Everywhere!!

Be conscious and use common sense more than anything. If you see a bus, don't let them come behind you while you're stopped in their spot.. Don't let passengers dictate where it is or isn't safe to pickup.. You are in charge. Do your best to avoid blocking traffic, especially when busy or down to a single lane.. And never pick up on Market.

You'll get used to driving in the city quickly and comfortably... Then it becomes a fun little video game. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Start out with nights to learn the city, especially good detours around construction, and for pax standing in say bus zones, point where you will pick them up, or point to a gap where you will pop in to pick them up.

Avoid double parking at any cost. Pull into something....driveway, turn the corner and stop, anything other than blocking traffic. In my years of driving I have never had somebody that I'm parked in front of or in their driveway pull out or in while waiting for a passenger, but I have saved the hassle hundreds of drivers using the street and not having to go into oncoming traffic or wait for me.

Crossed 9000 rides last night, those tips have helped me get me where I am now with no tickets, and these days I don't even use navigation anymore. It'll take you awhile to get there but it's doable. When the destination pops up, then your mind goes to work. During rush hour mornings or evenings, I have a iPad displaying just Waze traffic alone. This can be a lifesaver. My suggestion is don't bother with rush hour traffic driving, these days I see cops everywhere in SOMA and FiDi.

Edit: and don't even bother with Market Street, leave it to the pros, it's not worth the hassle and the passengers usually do stupid stuff like cross to the other side from where they drop the PIN, and then when I finally do find them, I have to educate them that the pin doesn't move, they have to stay where they dropped it. One time I had to do 4 u-turns on Market at night because they were lost... keep in mind that u-turns in California in a business district are illegal, the easiest places to get that ticket are on Market and the Fourth and King Caltrain station, and anywhere along Mission.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Flat out never? I should never do this at all during anytime day or night? If not then I wont but I didnt realize it was that cut throat but I will believe you if you say not to.
You can.. But I was never provided the options where it is legal to pick up on Market, so rather than waste time trying to determine if I am going to risk a ticket, stop traffic, or confuse the passenger for other drivers by doing so, I simply arrange to pick them up on a nearby side street. Uber makes no indication to passengers where it is safe or legal for drivers to pick them up, and several "easy pick up locations" Uber directs the passenger to are actually in the middle of bus stops.

Keep it simple and save both you, the passenger, and future drivers picking up that passenger the stress. I simply text them I would prefer to meet them where i can safely pick them up & they're happy to oblige. Keep a couple copy and paste texts in your phone to message passengers so you don't have to stop to communicate.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Flat out never? I should never do this at all during anytime day or night? If not then I wont but I didnt realize it was that cut throat but I will believe you if you say not to.
Easiest way to get a passenger to comply with any request is to ask them if there is a side street (or similar) nearby in which I could SAFELY pick them up at (or direct them to your predetermined one)... Sometimes my text even starts with "I'm sorry Uber failed to let you know at time of request..."

This actually makes them happy by the time they get in my car because they relate my effort to redirect them as my genuine concern for their safety and I've removed any indication that they were the idiot by apologizing for Uber not communicating to them.

It's all about convincing them that you are doing them a favor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts