Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

I'm no longer tipping waiters and bartenders

Tips 
28K views 229 replies 93 participants last post by  ElChavo8 
#1 ·
I drive way too many of them without getting tipped...

We don't 'have' to tip you either.

Might even ask them if they tip their 'ubers' before stiffing them.

#154 ·
#155 ·
I find it astonishing that Uber drivers are complaining about tips. Wasn't Uber set up to provide cheap, "better" service that taxi company's? Didn't you guys make a conscious decision to drive for Uber? If you knew the rules going in, I don't understand the whining about non-tippers. Anyone that has ever been in the taxi or service industry knows who tips well and who does not, apparently Uber has set up a system of turning regular tipping people into non-tippers, maybe Uber drivers should switch to Lyft or a legit taxi company.

#156 ·
Yeah, but when we signed on, we were also promised crazy money. Money that most of us don't make in normal (full time) hours.

And, I did think people would still tip.

When I worked at Winn Dixie, there was policy that tipping was not necessary, but most of the time you helped someone out to their car, they tipped. When I worked at Starbucks, I constantly told people they didn't have to worry about tipping (when they felt bad that they didn't have cash -- this was before sbux allowed tipping on cards), and lots of people, especially regulars, still tipped.

So, yes, I find it quite surprising that people don't tip.

#160 ·
At $19 dollars for a glass of wine or cocktail I would expect the tip TO be included as well but certainly not a a buck (usually way less) a mile and peanuts per minute charge. I mean who in their right mind thinks a 30 minute ride traveling 12 miles for $9.00 has a tip in it? Yet the same clowns will complain they only got $2.00 tip for a $19.00 glass of Merlot.

#167 ·
I'm going to start asking anyone who clearly receives tips if an Uber driver has written "5 stars" in lieu of a tip yet. When they ask what I mean I'll tell them there is this movement among drivers to stop tipping ANYONE in order to publicize their plight.

I'll tell them they don't have to worry about me doing it to them as I can't afford to eat/go out and i don't agree with not tipping but don't be surprised if it happens.

Curious to see what they'll say/do.

#166 ·
In my experience, if pax asked "how's business?" And you don't respond with a very positive and upbeat statement, you definitely get low ratings. Especially the cheapskates riding minimum fares try to justify their trips that makes us lose money with the "lie" that we make too much money anyway, so, one loser trip should not make a difference.
Since it is customer service business, some drivers might try to keep customers happy by propagating a lie and telling the pax "business is great".

#168 ·
In my experience, if pax asked "how's business?" And you don't respond with a very positive and upbeat statement, you definitely get low ratings. Especially the cheapskates riding minimum fares try to justify their trips that makes us lose money with the "lie" that we make too much money anyway, so, one loser trip should not make a difference.
Since it is customer service business, some drivers might try to keep customers happy by propagating a lie and telling the pax "business is great".
I've been using TAG lately, hasn't had any affect, yet!

"So, how is your night going? Busy?"

Me: Going pretty good so far, tips have been pretty good so that always helps! How has your night been?

#169 ·
I don't believe it impacts the tips.

It helps you get less low ratings. Because you are happy!

You don't want to buy ice-cream from a server that hates his job, right?

Same thing with us. If we act like we hate our jobs or we are not happy for some reason, they will rate us low.

I mostly mention the good parts of it and leave it there if they ask.

#171 ·
For those of you who drive for both Lyft and Uber, do servers/bartenders tip any better on Lyft than with Uber? I got this one restaurant server as a pax yesterday who 1) made me wait 4 minutes to get ready 2) made me wait an additional 10+ minutes at Panera while she picked up her lunch. ***** didn't leave a tip either. So glad I 3 starred her ass (which is pretty generous now that I think about it) so I don't have to drive her again. If her restaurant wasn't an hour away, I would be more than happy to go to that restaurant and leave her no tip with a 5-star message.

#174 ·
Yes but they have a Bonus System (Summer and Winter Bonuses), the semi-annual bonuses are adjusted by the company each year depending on business climate (Small to Corporate/Government Agencies), and are not "required" but customary.

Like a semi-annual really big tip from the employer to the employee.

#179 ·
If service industry people aren't tipping you, then who from time to time is? Are the people who tip you simply not reading the fine print of Uber's propaganda or what? People in the service industry and blue collar workers are typically among the best tippers from my experience. I also find that most college students are decent to good tippers, once they get past freshman year. College freshman are by far the worst tippers of all college students. Once they get a year under their belt, they tip just fine.

The Big Hoss Travis man really needs to stop telling pax tips are included in the fare. I wouldn't have a problem with him proclaiming tipping isn't necessary, so long as it was made very clear that tips were not included. I wouldn't be ok with that enough to put up with it mind you.

#186 ·
I pick up a guy at his house, load up his suitcase in my trunk and off we go to the airport. 5 minutes into the trip, he says "Hey, we really need to hustle. My flight leaves in 35 minutes!" What! And this is at morning rush hour. I bob and weave my way through traffic, he compliments me on my Indy-like driving skills and get him to the airport with minutes to spare. I get out, unload his luggage, and thanks me for getting him there safely. And.......wait for it........"you were great! 5 stars for you!" No tip.
I give him 1 star for putting me through all the rush for a net $11 fare. Thanks Uber, for planting that no tipping needed seed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.