Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend made me decide that I am hanging it up for now. I'll try and drive Labor Day weekend and will turn it on when I see surge, but I'm done with planned hours.

I drove a total of 17 hours F and S, mostly overnight. After expenses, I made $227, $13.35/ hour.

This is what made me decide:

*im sick of putting miles on my car without being paid well for it.
* I'm trying to pay off CC debt. My goal was to make $580 more in August and then work on $1000 per month through the end of the year. At that point, I would be debt free and will have had the $$$ for a vacation. The money is so low that this goal requires 25 hours per week on top of a 40-50 hour day job.
* I average $11/hour after expenses. At the risk of sounding like a crybaby, this is a third of what I make at my day job. That job pays the bills and then some, but I wanted to get out of this hole quickly.
* Beyond the money, the job is downright unpleasant.
- I'm sick of snot nosed kids of want to patronize you and think that they're somehow better than everyone else because they can afford to pay $8 to be driven from A to B.
- I'm sick of getting stressed out looking for parking on Mill/Downtown/Old Town to pick up people who have no regard for your time.
- I'm sick of people sneaking food and drink in to a car I take immaculate care of.
- I think I will go insane if one more person guzzles down a cigarette and makes my car smell like the set of Mad Men.
- I'm tired of listening quietly (although lately I have been talking back - and my -.03 in my raiting proves it) to people who think it's ok to go on racist, sexist and/or homophobic rants.
- Making stops for shit during busy hours makes me insane unless you tip. I tell them I get 6 cents per minute, so please be quick. I'm not a public service, but people are offended that as much as they want to save $1, you need to make $1.
- I'm creeped out by having to go to doddy apartment complexes, driving methed and coked out white trash and kids who can't hold their liquor.

I would not mind this at all - and would happily soldier on - if I were making money. As it is, the cash is slim and inconsistent.

For my own sanity, I'm hanging it up.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NY and SF have high costs of living. $30 in NY is $13 in Phoenix. Don't fool yourself. A dump one bedroom in a questionable neighborhood 45 minutes + by car from where you want to drive costs $1800/month. You could move to a similar place (think Mesa or Glendale) and pay $500 here.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My bottom line is my bottom line. I would happily put up with the abuse if a 10 hour Saturday netted me $250. It doesn't. It gets me half that if I'm lucky. Surge would be less if prices went up. I figure we would need to be at $2.00/ $0.25 for this to be the case.

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
This weekend made me decide that I am hanging it up for now. I'll try and drive Labor Day weekend and will turn it on when I see surge, but I'm done with planned hours.

I drove a total of 17 hours F and S, mostly overnight. After expenses, I made $227, $13.35/ hour.

* I'm trying to pay off CC debt. My goal was to make $580 more in August and then work on $1000 per month through the end of the year. At that point, I would be debt free and will have had the $$$ for a vacation. The money is so low that this goal requires 25 hours per week on top of a 40-50 hour day job.
* I average $11/hour after expenses. At the risk of sounding like a crybaby, this is a third of what I make at my day job. That job pays the bills and then some, but I wanted to get out of this hole quickly.
- I'm sick of snot nosed kids of want to patronize you and think that they're somehow better than everyone else because they can afford to pay $8 to be driven from A to B.
- I'm sick of getting stressed out looking for parking on Mill/Downtown/Old Town to pick up people who have no regard for your time.
- I'm sick of people sneaking food and drink in to a car I take immaculate care of.
- I think I will go insane if one more person guzzles down a cigarette and makes my car smell like the set of Mad Men.
- I'm tired of listening quietly (although lately I have been talking back - and my -.03 in my raiting proves it) to people who think it's ok to go on racist, sexist and/or homophobic rants.
- Making stops for shit during busy hours makes me insane unless you tip. I tell them I get 6 cents per minute, so please be quick. I'm not a public service, but people are offended that as much as they want to save $1, you need to make $1.
- I'm creeped out by having to go to doddy apartment complexes, driving methed and coked out white trash and kids who can't hold their liquor.

I would not mind this at all - and would happily soldier on - if I were making money. As it is, the cash is slim and inconsistent.

Very well said. I think you're smart for taking a break. I've been driving in the valley for 16 years and must say this is one of the slowest summers I've ever witnessed. Just a heads up. Look at the AZ Cardinals schedule, we have many prime time games. Sept. 11th will be awesome. Sunday night nationally televised game against the Patriots on the 15th year anniversary of the terrorist attacks. We also have Monday Night Football here early in the season. On the days we play out of town it's still awesome. Fans want to be around other fans, look for the sports bars that have The NFL package. Back in 2012 the Cardinals started out 4-0 and that September was our company's best on record. Best to take a break for the next 4-5 weeks. But your post is dead on, very good insight.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
NY and SF have high costs of living. $30 in NY is $13 in Phoenix. Don't fool yourself. A dump one bedroom in a questionable neighborhood 45 minutes + by car from where you want to drive costs $1800/month. You could move to a similar place (think Mesa or Glendale) and pay $500 here.
southbay has a even higher cost of living(burlingame, mountain view) as does parts of the east bay, its 85 cents a mile there too, so there piss poor rates to the rest of the country will always be a paradox

·
Registered
365 Posts

Hi PI, You are wise to take a break for all the reasons you list. You can always come back for a few hours here and there when you are so inclined. I think the most important thing for any driver is to take care of himself or herself. To me, when I am tired, irritated or otherwise distracted by something, the BS stuff really takes a toll. Congrats on making the decision to take some time off. Your passengers were lucky to have a driver like you. Best,

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
southbay has a even higher cost of living(burlingame, mountain view) as does parts of the east bay, its 85 cents a mile there too, so there piss poor rates to the rest of the country will always be a paradox
Hell, every time I go to Coronado I get pissed about the CA gas prices. You guys seem to always be around $1 a gallon more then here in Phoenix. Your entire state is expensive.

·
Premium Member
65,631 Posts
That's about exactly what Uber X was when it first started in the Valley back in Jan '14. It actually was $2.25.
I would still be driving 60 hours a week for those rates.

Would be lining up a bigger better car for customers too.

No progress attainable with current Uber rates.

UNSUSTAINABLE.

People would still brag on their cell phones " I'm in an Uber".

When is the last time you heard that ?

Declining business model.

Shame what Uber has done to itself !

Shame what Uber has done to us.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi PI, You are wise to take a break for all the reasons you list. You can always come back for a few hours here and there when you are so inclined. I think the most important thing for any driver is to take care of himself or herself. To me, when I am tired, irritated or otherwise distracted by something, the BS stuff really takes a toll. Congrats on making the decision to take some time off. Your passengers were lucky to have a driver like you. Best,
Thanks. My raiting tanked from 4.91 to 4.87 in two weeks. Much of it was riders who did not appreciate the service at all. Traffic? Complain. You don't have gum? Complain. You want to know where I'm going? I'll just give you directions. Don't worry about where I'm going....

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would still be driving 60 hours a week for those rates.

Would be lining up a bigger better car for customers too.

No progress attainable with current Uber rates.

UNSUSTAINABLE.

People would still brag on their cell phones " I'm in an Uber".

When is the last time you heard that ?

Declining business model.

Shame what Uber has done to itself !

Shame what Uber has done to us.
Well said. It used to be a cool tech service. Now it's run like a utility.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And what's screwed up is there are probably at least 10 new recruits ready to replace Phoenixidle.(and any of us for that matter).
...a never ending cycle. Uber holds all the cards.

Good Luck!
Yes. This is true. People think they turn on the app and money poors out of the AC vents. It's not like that.

·
Premium Member
65,631 Posts
And what's screwed up is there are probably at least 10 new recruits ready to replace Phoenixidle.(and any of us for that matter).
...a never ending cycle. Uber holds all the cards.

Good Luck!
Uber is UNSUSTAINABLE.

They are burning through the driver supply.

UNSUSTAINABLE.

wait till fuel prices increase.

( and they Will! The terrorists always act up at Presidential Election time.They like to feel like they can control our country)

( one hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico will raise oil prices WATCH)

( I was paying $1.35 a gallon for gas a few months ago.)

( If the coast is threatened by hurricanes,refineries may shut down.25% loss of production capabilities.)

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts

Congratulations it didn't take you long to figure it out. Now the new drivers are seeing why the veterans have become so negative. One point you missed is the fact the drivers are being taken advantage of and abused while making the uber management and investors billions. Then they have the gall to lable us as partners while cutting our rates. Then they try to tell us we'll make more money with the lower rates.

The worst part of all of this is that they are taking all the money we make them and investing it into driverless cars that they plan on replacing us with.

·
Premium Member
65,631 Posts
Congratulations it didn't take you long to figure it out. Now the new drivers are seeing why the veterans have become so negative. One point you missed is the fact the drivers are being taken advantage of and abused while making the uber management and investors billions. Then they have the gall to lable us as partners while cutting our rates. Then they try to tell us we'll make more money with the lower rates.

The worst part of all of this is that they are taking all the money we make them and investing it into driverless cars that they plan on replacing us with.
Or investing a BILLION a year in Communist China.

Anyone here believe Communist China will ever allow Uber to come out on top ?

That BILLION could be used by Uber PARTNERS .

To develop a SUSTAINABLE FLEET.

DISPOSABLE.
US
OUR CARS
OUR SAFETY.

DISPOSABLE

UNSUSTAINABLE

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been doing this for a half of a year. I have $4000 in Cc debt left. Due to my packcheck, this will be $2000 by Oct 1. I wanted to get this out of the way by Oct 1 and make some extra cash. It's not worth it. In just taking out a loan on my sanity and that's just as bad.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts