Uber Drivers Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Hello David, and thank you for your time.
As an Uber driver, when I get a request for a pax 15 min away, and 4.5 miles away, and I turn on the passenger app, and it says it would cost me approx $15 dollars to drive to this location, can I charge Uber for this drive time to pick up passenger?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
As an Uber driver, when I get a request for a pax 15 min away, and 4.5 miles away, and I turn on the passenger app, and it says it would cost me approx $15 dollars to drive to this location, can I charge Uber for this drive time to pick up passenger?
I'm not 100% on this, but my guess would be no. Most interactions you have with Uber are governed by the user agreement which is your contract with them and as my contract professor would always say, "just look at the contract". My guess would be it doesn't cover travel time.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
How can we bring a class-action law suit against Uber for one or more of their anti-driver practices?
  • For years, systematically and consistently "losing" tolls and surcharges Uber has previously agreed to pay drivers and then requiring proof of payment, when Uber knows a certain percentage drivers will not respond within the required 48-hour limit. Especially when Uber already has a complete GPS record of the drivers path.
  • Refusing to implement in-App tipping.
  • Increasing the fare (booking fee) paid by passengers without sharing any of that increase with drivers.
  • Many, many other issues described in this forum.
Uber's history is they only act when forced. Other than a Class-action lawsuit, what can you suggest?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Lol that was awesome.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
What are the ramifications if insurance company finds out and drop you? Is that legal ?
If you breached your agreement with your insurance provider by using your vehicle for commercial purpose without the appropriate rideshare coverage, or did not disclose your rideshare to your agent, you are at fault.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How can we bring a class-action law suit against Uber for one or more of their anti-driver practices?
  • For years, systematically and consistently "losing" tolls and surcharges Uber has previously agreed to pay drivers and then requiring proof of payment, when Uber knows a certain percentage drivers will not respond within the required 48-hour limit. Especially when Uber already has a complete GPS record of the drivers path.
  • Refusing to implement in-App tipping.
  • Increasing the fare (booking fee) paid by passengers without sharing any of that increase with drivers.
  • Many, many other issues described in this forum.
Uber's history is they only act when forced. Other than a Class-action lawsuit, what can you suggest?
Honestly I have about 0 expierience with Class-actions other than the labor law class I took in law school. I know this firm, (girardi and keese) has an Uber class action going right now but not sure exactly on what grounds.

Can we sue Uber for misleading most of the drivers when we signed up? Uber was promoting it as "driver partners." They have since changed their terminology.

A true partner has a say in relevant decisions. The drivers have no say.
This is America, you can sue anyone for anything, doesn't mean it won't get thrown out early on. I wish I had more experience in this area to give you a better answer. Sorry

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What do you think of Uber's insurance?
Alright, something in my wheelhouse. James River is the carrier for Uber and they're actually pretty great. I represent a lot of Uber drivers for auto accidents and the coverage under James River is excellent. If you have fare or are driving to a fare, there's at $1m Bodlily injury limit (if you cause an accident) and a $1m UIM policy (that uninsured/underinsured [covrers you if get hit by someone with less than $1m in coverage/no coverage]). They're better to work with than most other companies, (Mercury, State Farm, Allstate really fight you to pay out on claims).

This guy is such a new attorney, yall are way better off asking a paralegal whats up.
A good paralegal maybe. I would say that them giving you a legal opinion is actually against the law and so you'd be unlikely to find an ethical paralegal who would give you legal advice. Like I said at the top, I do personal injury (I also do immigration) and so some questions are beyond my scope of knowledge.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Ask me anything!
  • If a driver picks up a teenager and get accused for molesting said kid, Uber said it has a 1 million dollar Liability Insurance, will that cover such act?
  • How about if we ask a person that claims to have a Service Animal but who can't answer an allowed query about the animal, if she then refuses to answer said question, can we legally deny service?
Just two questions, I don't want to overwhelm you with a bungled mess about Uber practices.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What are the ramifications if insurance company finds out and drop you? Is that legal ?
We can chase ambulance after that .
I think what you're asking is about your own private insurance dropping you for working for Uber. You should disclose to them and be honest about everything. This isn't necessarily for altruistic reasons, it's because most insurance companies don't look at if you're in violation of their policy until you're in an accident. Once that happens they do a coverage investigation and can deny coverage for the loss that already occurred. Common reasons for this include letting an excluded driver drive your car and being engaged in commercial activities like ride sharing.

I had a client, insured by Infinity who works as a door to door sales man. Classic independent contractor job, but he only had private passenger auto coverage (the normal kind of auto insurance). They denied coverage when he was in an accident on his way to a neighborhood to sell. Their policy reads "does not cover...for any...commercial activity". So it can be harsh standard.

The right way to be insured as a ride-sharing driver is to purchase a policy and disclose that you ride-share. That policy will be in force when you're not on fares and Uber/Lyft's insurance will cover you when you are.

You guys took advantage and overwhelmed him with questions. He shut down the server and will not be coming back again
You're on to me.

How many ambulances do you chase per day?
0. I work at large firm in Beverly Hills with over 1500 clients and 70 employees. We don't have to resort to that sort of thing.
Besides, per CA State Bar rules, that sort of thing is a per se violation and I really like being a lawyer.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
0. I work at large firm in Beverly Hills with over 1500 clients and 70 employees. We don't have to resort to that sort of thing.
Besides, per CA State Bar rules, that sort of thing is a per se violation and I really like being a lawyer.
haha, I was just joking. I picked up a lawyer a while back and I made a comment about him being an ambulance chaser. He seemed a little miffed about that comment. lol He also wanted to bring a beer into my vehicle. Might have let him if it wasn't a can of miller lite.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
  • If a driver picks up a teenager and get accused for molesting said kid, Uber said it has a 1 million dollar Liability Insurance, will that cover such act?
  • How about if we ask a person that claims to have a Service Animal but who can't answer an allowed query about the animal, if she then refuses to answer said question, can we legally deny service?
Just two questions, I don't want to overwhelm you with a bungled mess about Uber practices.
1) The $1m policy is Bodily injury liability policy. I haven't seen this directly, but I assume that Uber also carries General Liability insurance. As the attorney for the kid in your hypothetical, I would go after Uber directly for negligent hiring practices, hoping that there was something in the driver's past that should have lead them to know that the driver was dangerous. There's a whole bunch of laws about common carriers (airplanes, buses, trains, etc) that impose strict liability on the operators of such. Uber would likely not fall into that category. Depending on the age of the kid in question, there could be some comparative negligence on the part of the parents (like you shouldn't put a 3 year in an Uber by themselves obviously) which would reduce Uber's ultimate liability. Honestly though, in reality, the PR shit-storm that would come from this happening would give you sooooooo much leverage to settle it out quickly.

2) That's a weird one, it's really outside of my area of pratice. I would contact an ADA or disability lawyer and just ask them. If you find a chill one they'll probably just give you an answer. You could try this guy I know, Harris Buller his email is on the CA Bar site. (i cant post links)

haha, I was just joking. I picked up a lawyer a while back and I made a comment about him being an ambulance chaser. He seemed a little miffed about that comment. lol He also wanted to bring a beer into my vehicle. Might have let him if it wasn't a can of miller lite.
I appreciate that. Drinking Miller Lite should get you disbarred.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.