Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading this forum for two reasons:
1. My son is thinking about uber/lyft
2. I am a regular PAX and was wondering how the other side sees this whole thing.

I am a rider. I was thinking of doing some driving just for fun in old town Scottsdale (where I live), but my vehicle may be too old and after reading the issues with the fare war with Lyft, not worth it.

I am pretty shocked by the way some people here call the PAX horses asses, cheapskates, etc. Not helping. Many people who are PAX read this forum. We are people too, and we talk to each other as well. This isn't a super secret society, so the few folks here who rant about PAX need to chill a bit. You need to direct your energy to Uber and Lyft and the fare war. It doesn't help that at all when you drive for both.

You have to realize, as PAX, we are looking for a better ride than a cab and hopefully cheaper too, or an upgrade for the price of a cab or a bit more, just not execu-car prices.

It is too bad that uber brainwashes everyone that tipping is included. BUT It also does not help when drivers tell us they are making good money and they drive nicer cars than I do. Bragging about being paid by the hour to sleep during certain times of the year doesn't help either. (as the driver in Casa Grand, AZ told me) The outward appearance is that driving for uber pays well and every one is happy. I'm pretty sure this is the norm, not the exception, but if you guys are wanting tips, then you need to tell us.

I also think this is not a viable way to earn a primary income. It is a viable way to pay for a car that you may not otherwise be able to afford, or as some drivers in SFO have told me, "a way to drive a Mercedes instead of a Hyundai." I have met several drivers who do this as a means to just be able to own a car so they have the BENEFIT of being able to drive that car to their day job as well. I delivered Pizza in college. The 6% "commission" (delivery fee I got) paid for the gas and insurance, the tips paid my car payment and then some. My wage was over and above that. It was like having a company car in College, on a 25 hr a week job. I paid ZERO vehicle costs out of my wages. I think Uber/Lyft provide that, and maybe a bit more, but not true full time income in most cases.

I want this to continue as having the ability to get a ride in a clean car that shows up in 2-4 min is ideal for me when we want to go out to dinner or drinking, or the airport. I don't expect drives to lose money. I do expect a fare better than a taxi, as more of it goes to the driver than with taxi's.

I switched to Lyft, to be able to tip with their app. I have also told Uber this as well. I get mostly the same drivers anyway...

Doing my part.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I am pretty shocked by the way some people here call the PAX horses asses, cheapskates, etc.
  • The few times we call PAX those names usually stems from the fact the PAX deserved it/did something stupid/rude, etc. We don't nilly-willy call PAX names, man.
You have to realize, as PAX, we are looking for a better ride than a cab and hopefully cheaper too, or an upgrade for the price of a cab or a bit more, just not execu-car prices.
  • There's a famous website out there run by people in the food service industry about how, if you are going to go out and expect a certain level of service (in your case, something nicer than a cab, but not a private driver), you have to understand we also expect the passengers to act to the level of service we are providing. We bust our behinds to ensure our vehicle is clean, in great shape, and would appreciate if the passenger acted accordingly.
Bragging about being paid by the hour to sleep during certain times of the year doesn't help either
  • I'm guessing you took a ride with someone who makes good money doing "Guaranteed" payout. It's a joke. Most of us don't make much out of those guaranteed hours.
if you guys are wanting tips, then you need to tell us.
  • We can't straight up come out and say we need a tip - we can get in trouble for it if one of the asshat passengers you talked about before reports us for tip solicitation. Like with the food service industry, a tip for providing dirt-cheap service nicer than a cab but not as expensive as a private car is expected, no?

·
Registered
718 Posts
We come here to vent, name calling happens where it's warrented. We don't complain about the realities of uber to the customer. That's like going a restaurant and having the waiter complain in between taking orders. I the tipping of tipping comes up during a ride I'll educate. Or I'll refer them to his forum.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Also in phoenix, if you plan on working for either company, you should just sign up for both. And only work busy hours part time

·
Premium Member
9,858 Posts
Its all in how you go about it. I never mention tips. However if it comes up, I tell them, " I don't do this for tips." I haven't been keeping track but I seem to get one that way. Although newbies are more giving and I wonder if they want to keep me around because of the high turn over rate after they find I have been doing longer than most that they encounter.

Reactions: Liz_C

·
Registered
142 Posts
2. I am a regular PAX and was wondering how the other side sees this whole thing.

I am a rider. I was thinking of doing some driving just for fun in old town Scottsdale (where I live), but my vehicle may be too old and after reading the issues with the fare war with Lyft, not worth it.

I am pretty shocked by the way some people here call the PAX horses asses, cheapskates, etc. Not helping. Many people who are PAX read this forum. We are people too, and we talk to each other as well. This isn't a super secret society, so the few folks here who rant about PAX need to chill a bit. You need to direct your energy to Uber and Lyft and the fare war. It doesn't help that at all when you drive for both.

It is too bad that uber brainwashes everyone that tipping is included. BUT It also does not help when drivers tell us they are making good money and they drive nicer cars than I do. Bragging about being paid by the hour to sleep during certain times of the year doesn't help either. (as the driver in Casa Grand, AZ told me) The outward appearance is that driving for uber pays well and every one is happy. I'm pretty sure this is the norm, not the exception, but if you guys are wanting tips, then you need to tell us.

I also think this is not a viable way to earn a primary income. It is a viable way to pay for a car that you may not otherwise be able to afford, or as some drivers in SFO have told me, "a way to drive a Mercedes instead of a Hyundai." I have met several drivers who do this as a means to just be able to own a car so they have the BENEFIT of being able to drive that car to their day job as well. I delivered Pizza in college. The 6% "commission" (delivery fee I got) paid for the gas and insurance, the tips paid my car payment and then some. My wage was over and above that. It was like having a company car in College, on a 25 hr a week job. I paid ZERO vehicle costs out of my wages. I think Uber/Lyft provide that, and maybe a bit more, but not true full time income in most cases.

I want this to continue as having the ability to get a ride in a clean car that shows up in 2-4 min is ideal for me when we want to go out to dinner or drinking, or the airport. I don't expect drives to lose money. I do expect a fare better than a taxi, as more of it goes to the driver than with taxi's.

I switched to Lyft, to be able to tip with their app. I have also told Uber this as well. I get mostly the same drivers anyway...

Doing my part.
Its not all bad Dude, dont forget....this IS the Internet, you cant take it all to heart, plus you seem like a decent pax, human being, cant say that about the spectrum, in which alot, your not representative of. It can be a stressful job at times but has its perks.....dont assume because some of us use tgis as a medium to vent thaf were all negative all of the time

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Also, if you as a passenger are going to come here and reverse-complain (PAX complaining on us, the service providers), please go back to the home page and remember where you are.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guaranteed payout, Yeah, I think it was what he called it.

Well, you can always say tips are always appreciated. I think Uber is the problem, saying tipping is verboten, but when drivers brag...Doesn't help.

On strippers, yeah, they do ask for them, and if too low, they are *****es about it. I hate strippers. I hate strip joints, I hate having to take foreigners to Strip Joints when they ask me. **** that shit. Next time, I'll stick them in an uber and tell the driver to take them to babes and give him a big tip and let me call him/her when the ******bags need to be picked up!!! LOL. I think I'm on to something here.

·
Super Moderator
15,324 Posts
Also, if you as a passenger are going to come here and reverse-complain (PAX complaining on us, the service providers), please go back to the home page and remember where you are.
That heading needs to be changed, there are quite a few non drivers on the forum.

Reactions: glados

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts

Doing my part.
Thank you! Seems like Uber is more apt to listen to pax anyway instead of drivers. Let them know they are losing riders to Lyft because of their stubborn refusal to enable tips via the app!

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
You need to direct your energy to Uber and Lyft and the fare war. It doesn't help that at all when you drive for both.
First of all, I'm shocked that you have received so many polite responses. This must be a blue moon

Second I am shocked, shocked that you used the word f*** on the Internet? I'm shocked.

Third I don't understand your quote above at all. I focus my energy on the ping that is going to maximize my income. I have no control over anything else.

Welcome to the forum, and if you start driving, chi1cabby wants me to tell you to refuse to opt out of arbitration. I'm not sure why, but he asked so politely I can't refuse

·
Registered
413 Posts
Guaranteed payout, Yeah, I think it was what he called it.

Well, you can always say tips are always appreciated. I think Uber is the problem, saying tipping is verboten, but when drivers brag...Doesn't help.

On strippers, yeah, they do ask for them, and if too low, they are *****es about it. I hate strippers. I hate strip joints, I hate having to take foreigners to Strip Joints when they ask me. **** that shit. Next time, I'll stick them in an uber and tell the driver to take them to babes and give him a big tip and let me call him/her when the ******bags need to be picked up!!! LOL. I think I'm on to something here.
You don't sound HONEST to me and your comments are a bit schizophrenic, (you seem like two different individuals, MAYBE THREE).
I also hate when riders PRY INTO MY LIFE the very minute that they get in MY CAR, MY SPACE! You sound like that kind of rider.
Leave your Lyft/Uber drivers alone!.....OH, and admit that you're already a driver!

·
Registered
535 Posts

Doing my part.
There is so much here to comment on , oh dear ?!! were do I begin ?!!

first off , cheaper ride I think is what most pax's look for , NOT ALL . 2nd you actually switched To lyft so you could tip ? lol as if having a few bucks for your driver is impossible ? I simply don't understand the mind set of I wont tip if it has to be cash because I'm only willing to pay with plastic ..period . fact is your just looking for reasons not to tip .
So now you have not only thrown Cab drivers under the bus , its uber drivers as well lol .. problem is you .. you don't see good cabbies , most the cabbies working the radio are newbs , but what you don't know , is to grab a driver you like and keep that driver , but drivers don't want you if your an ass so im figuring the problem is you for what ever reason you couldn't get a decent cab driver , because we fight over good customers , so you must be a bad customer .

A good customer , dispatch learns that hey this rider is a good tipper , ride's regular , we appreciate their business , not gonna send johny the newest driver , this guy has made it to the higher tier driver and so I will send Dhus who is a vet to make sure this customer keeps riding is takin care of . funny thing is ? you only have to be a regular rider for cab companys to go out their way for you ? so you must really be a shity ride man , no offence .

you hate cabbies so much you only use apps ? I guess because the app drivers who are part timers just like *you* thinking I might try to drive U/L and all the sudden after 1 ride given *POOF * prodigy !!! yep better and holier than though , got it all figured out ?!?! sounds to me like your not only cheap if the cabbies have only sent newbs to pick you up but now !!! you claim you cant tip cash so have moved on from uber to lyft ? hahaha

Truth is nobody wants to drive you , keep it moving !!! , cabbies , ubers , lyft's are ppl 2 , and its saying a lot that you haven't found a home , I imagine lyft drivers will shuck you as well .

and btw , all of us drivers talk as well , cabbies , ubers , lyft , and we know the address's and names of the riding population and who to avoid .

I know I was harsh on you , but for real , all of us drivers , drive for all the companys , so you basically just insulted every dam driver in the world and then said I might drive lol and can do better obviously than these guys lol .. again FU !!!

Reactions: Scenicruiser

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You don't sound HONEST to me and your comments are a bit schizophrenic, (you seem like two different individuals, MAYBE THREE).
I also hate when riders PRY INTO MY LIFE the very minute that they get in MY CAR, MY SPACE! You sound like that kind of rider.
Leave your Lyft/Uber drivers alone!.....OH, and admit that you're already a driver!
Nope, just a rider. I use Uber/Lyft regularly. I've even used Uber in Paris... before the riots... There it was badly needed. I use it in SFO every year for a week, and at least twice (round trip) on weekends when we go out. Have used it in Texas and Florida too. I don't pry. You'd be surprised at what people say when you ask "how's your evening". Sure I've asked drivers if they like it. Like I said in my OP, My Son was interested in it. Every driver has been cool about it. None have sounded like you...

It is cheaper than a DUI, and better than a taxi. We used to use discount cab, but took too long to get a cab on the way out, and a pain in the ass to go get the car the next day. You guys really provide a service. I hope it lasts, and I hope they get things fixed, but for now, I'm using lyft if it's available.

For all the friendly responses, thank you. Riders have a stake in this too. If it all goes to shit, It's back to abdul in his smelly taxi.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We tried two of the cab apps here before we even knew about Uber. Both sucked. They had GPS issues, it still took forever to get one. With cabs, we always had to have cash, until recently, when FINALLY cabs in this country started taking cards. But it is a pain in the ass to end a ride in a cab. Sitting in the street, trying to get the card to read, waiting yadda yadda yadda. Uber Lyft solved the problem, But I still need some cash for Uber. Lyft makes it easy for me. I do what is easy and fast. Sorry, It's what riders want.

I don't hate cabbies, but they share cabs, don't own their cars, so they are always dirty. Uber/Lyft cars are always (with one exception) clean.

I have also been yelled at by some cab drivers for a ride from the airport that was too short. Not my fault when I am in a city where I don't know where the destination is other than an address. Never had a rude uber driver.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts