Uber Drivers Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,854 Posts
Do you mean area? DC Virgina Maryland.
I'm in the same area.

Those numbers are possible for now if you're strategic. Could be until September (although August is a Hillary for doing Uber/Lyft in D.C.)

However with Hogan wanting to end enhanced unemployment the ants may come back sooner.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Also, Ive been talking to uber/lyft/grub drivers in the streets.

It seems like $4000- $6000 monthly gross is doable. At least for now.
I don't know who you have been talking to, but you won't make 4k-6k a month driving for Uber/Lyft. I drove for Uber for 4 years, full-time, and never made that much. WISH YOU A LOT OF LUCK!!
I drove a cab for 12 years prior to going to Uber.
Word of advice, coming from a cabbie. You never tell the truth! If you having a great day/night you don't tell (why cut your nose to spite your face) more money you'll make. I would have made 400.00 and tell the other drivers, that is dead as hell and they would leave. Another one is where I wouldn't make anything I would tell the other drivers, it's busier than hell, making money left and right. They would stay.
I was an independent cabbie for 12 years, I learned quick. How to make my money.
So if you are listening to other Uber drivers, just remember what I said! Nobody is going to tell you the truth!!

·
Premium Member
15,818 Posts
Used car prices are through the roof right now.
...and dealerships are begging current owners to SELL their car. Every time i take my ride in I get texts and emails wanting to know if I want to sell to trade-in or for cash. Just call so we can discuss. Hard pass.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Thanks for replying...

Rent, Utilities, Phone, Internet, Cable, Medical, food, entertainment = $1,000 give or take.

taxes = I guess that depend on how much i make. Im usually under $40k/yearly.

Fuel, Maintenance and repairs , Payment, Insurance, Car wash = Im sure this will add to my expenses. I will have someone helping me with car payment. car insurance has been about $100 for liability in the past. maybe less. Its been a while since Ive owned a car.
If you’re under 40K/yr you’re CLEARLY not making 6K/mo

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
why would i get deactivated? And why so soon?
I've been waiting on my annual background check for 4 months now. Can't drive until it is completed, And I'm far from the only one experiencing the same thing. The reasons why you can get wait-listed or deactivated are many. The only thing I have never heard of a driver being deactivated for is low ratings.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Hello...

While I know $6k monthly sounds optimistic, I'd like to work out the numbers to see what makes sense.

Monthly expenses: - $1500
Cost for 2014prius with 60k miles: - $15,000

rideshare monthly income: + $6,000

If you came across these numbers, would you buy a car like this?
You're not going to make $6000 a month doing rideshare on the X platform.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
...and dealerships are begging current owners to SELL their car. Every time i take my ride in I get texts and emails wanting to know if I want to sell to trade-in or for cash. Just call so we can discuss. Hard pass.
My bro-in-law’s buddy got called by the dealership who sold him his car last year. They offered to buy it back for more than he paid.

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
I get about 30 miles to the gallon. In my Toyota Camry Hybrid I got around 40-42 mpg. . .
so a slight difference. . . I do notice though.
If you can afford a Hybrid for Uber, its worth it.

I do like my Elantra, has some more bells and whistles than my Camry. . .
but I liked my Camry better
‘If you can afford.....it’s worth it”

That statement explains why so many end up with a junked car and no job.

you do not buy tools that are too expensive for the job assignment.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
So you're not driving ride share now? You're looking to get into ride sharing, correct?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello...

While I know $6k monthly sounds optimistic, I'd like to work out the numbers to see what makes sense.

Monthly expenses: - $1500
Cost for 2014prius with 60k miles: - $15,000

rideshare monthly income: + $6,000

If you came across these numbers, would you buy a car like this?
a definite no. but I need rides so, do it

·
Premium Member
3,837 Posts
Took my wife's low mileage (31,000) Buick in for an oil change last week, Dealer has emailed me three times wanting to buy it from us at double KBB value

·
Premium Member
3,837 Posts
You can also get deactivated from Uber in an instant.......

keep that in mind.

why would i get deactivated? And why so soon?
I drove for Uber and Lyft beginning in October of 2015, until I quit in December 2020, I did 95% of my rides on Lyft and 5% on Uber, in the last two years, I've been temporarily suspended by either company at least 4 times, not to mention the other two dozens times I couldn't sign into Uber because they didn't recognize my picture. But, here's the logic...

Lyft suspended me saying a rider accused me of smelling like alcohol. I responded pointing out that: A. I'm diabetic and can't touch alcohol, B. My regular job, I'm a DoD authorized commercial carrier subject to monthly drug/alcohol screen, that I would be more than happy to provide them with a copy of the most recent (less than 24 hours before the accusation was made), C. It was 7 am, that's a little early to be drinking. I also responded that I would be retaining legal counsel and would seek damages from both Lyft and the rider for a false accusation, I would also report Lyft to the state. My account was reinstated after 48 hours.

A few weeks later, Lyft locked my account for 7 hrs after a rider complained that I had a dashcam, upon the initial account lock, they couldn't tell me why, I had to go to my local hub, they looked it up, stood there puzzled at the reason for 10 minutes and then reinstated me immediately.

Last time Lyft did my background check, I was locked out for 17 days, Uber locked me out for 21 days at the same time.

My insurance expired, I sent both companies a copy of the new insurance card, Lyft accepted it immediately, Uber alleged it was fraudulent and locked my account, this on a Saturday afternoon, I had to wait till Monday to take my phone, the photo and digital card to the office and have it verified and updated.

Colorado requires we do an annual vehicle inspection, had mine done, used the form provided by the state, Lyft accepted it immediately, Uber refused to accept it and locked my account, I had to schedule an appointment with my mechanic to have him fill out the paperwork, I resubmitted it to Uber, they rejected it and demanded that I take it to their office and have their mechanic inspect my vehicle, as they couldn't verify the paperwork I submitted.

These are the random BS reasons you can be deactivated or locked out.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
By the time you pay off the car youll need a new one if your putting the miles on it needed to make 6000 a mo. So yeah, go for it, you'll be stimulating the economy with your purchase, mechanics need to eat too.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I see from a lot of post that deactivation is a common thing. Now I know this has to be a side gig thing.
I drove for Uber and Lyft beginning in October of 2015, until I quit in December 2020, I did 95% of my rides on Lyft and 5% on Uber, in the last two years, I've been temporarily suspended by either company at least 4 times, not to mention the other two dozens times I couldn't sign into Uber because they didn't recognize my picture. But, here's the logic...

Lyft suspended me saying a rider accused me of smelling like alcohol. I responded pointing out that: A. I'm diabetic and can't touch alcohol, B. My regular job, I'm a DoD authorized commercial carrier subject to monthly drug/alcohol screen, that I would be more than happy to provide them with a copy of the most recent (less than 24 hours before the accusation was made), C. It was 7 am, that's a little early to be drinking. I also responded that I would be retaining legal counsel and would seek damages from both Lyft and the rider for a false accusation, I would also report Lyft to the state. My account was reinstated after 48 hours.

A few weeks later, Lyft locked my account for 7 hrs after a rider complained that I had a dashcam, upon the initial account lock, they couldn't tell me why, I had to go to my local hub, they looked it up, stood there puzzled at the reason for 10 minutes and then reinstated me immediately.

Last time Lyft did my background check, I was locked out for 17 days, Uber locked me out for 21 days at the same time.

My insurance expired, I sent both companies a copy of the new insurance card, Lyft accepted it immediately, Uber alleged it was fraudulent and locked my account, this on a Saturday afternoon, I had to wait till Monday to take my phone, the photo and digital card to the office and have it verified and updated.

Colorado requires we do an annual vehicle inspection, had mine done, used the form provided by the state, Lyft accepted it immediately, Uber refused to accept it and locked my account, I had to schedule an appointment with my mechanic to have him fill out the paperwork, I resubmitted it to Uber, they rejected it and demanded that I take it to their office and have their mechanic inspect my vehicle, as they couldn't verify the paperwork I submitted.

These are the random BS reasons you can be deactivated or locked out.

There you go, perfect example...i myself have been deactivated once for "fraud"

People are rude and just want free stuff and will complain.....these companies immediately take the customer's side....Also, the company is far from perfect and you could become a casualty "just because" as you can see by Frontier guy's story....

Not a horrible thing but if you're $15K in debt with no way to pay it off.....

technically you can get fired from any job and this can happen but its more common / easy with uber / lyft................be careful

41 - 60 of 82 Posts