Uber Drivers Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
OP, it is important to take into consideration what trafficat said about being fired from Uber or Lyft. Do a search in this forum on "deactivation". This is not a gig good for anything other than SUPPLEMENTAL income. Neither Uber or Lyft are profitable concerns, so in addition to the random false accusation it is unclear how long rideshare services can continue in their current forms.

With the labor shortage being what it is there are other jobs paying more and having better job security.

Furthermore, I would not purchase a car up front if you have never done rideshare before. What if it doesn't work out? See about renting at first.

Finally, if you chose to plunge anyway, a Prius is an ideal rideshare vehicle. As to whether the Prius you are looking at is worth $15K, we have no way of knowing. Depends on the condition of the car and the average sale price in your area.

Good luck. Don't hate me for telling you the truth.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
why would i get deactivated? And why so soon?

Mistakes, passengers that complain, accusations of fraud even if you are not doing anything fradulent....

Honeslty, id be wary of doing this ful time for this and putting all your eggs in one basket or investing so much unless you have other means to help pay for these expenses.

IMO

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I got a book called "How to make your car last forever".
You think a book will be good enough to learn to fix my car or should I actually get some sort of "mechanic mentor" ?

I imagine there are just some things in a prius I wont be able to fix because it's electrical.
If you're mechanically inclined, you're better off just looking up videos on YouTube. And yes, I doubt the book will help you with a Prius. You probably need training when it comes to hybrids, though I could be wrong and there my be easy to follow videos on youtube for them as well.

I recommend that you follow your instincts, if you think its a good idea, go for it, just wait a few months before you make your decision since it's a little too soon to see how things pan out.

·
Premium Member
11,144 Posts
Hello...

While I know $6k monthly sounds optimistic, I'd like to work out the numbers to see what makes sense.

Monthly expenses: - $1500
Cost for 2014prius with 60k miles: - $15,000

rideshare monthly income: + $6,000

If you came across these numbers, would you buy a car like this?
Would I buy a 2014 Prius for $15,000? Sure, if it comes with 5 or 6 grand cash in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
I have about $3000 in debt and roughly $6k in the savings.
That's pretty much it.

I could make it roughly 3 or 4 months if another pandemic hits.

I also dont have a mortgage.
Sounds like a good start.

If it were me, I would pay $5,000 cash for a Prius beater. In less than six months you could pay off all your debt and have 10k in savings.

And being a full-time Uber is rough. There are some here that do it, but you're better off getting a full-time W2 job and doing Uber on the side.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Sounds like a good start.

If it were me, I would pay $5,000 cash for a Prius beater. In less than six months you could pay off all your debt and have 10k in savings.

And being a full-time Uber is rough. There are some here that do it, but you're better off getting a full-time W2 job and doing Uber on the side.
Hey thanks for the input.

So far it looks to me the best way to maximize earnings is driving when there's a surge of passenger demand.

I just simply thought the more hours you put in the more you earn. But it seems like it'll be diminishing returns if Im always on the clock.

It is a relief to know it's better to work a strategic amount of hours then to do overtime until my bones grind to dust. I can always keep busy.

Now its a matter of tracking the hours most profitable and the areas that I should be in.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Hey thanks for the input.

So far it looks to me the best way to maximize earnings is driving when there's a surge of passenger demand.

I just simply thought the more hours you put in the more you earn. But it seems like it'll be diminishing returns if Im always on the clock.

It is a relief to know it's better to work a strategic amount of hours then to do overtime until my bones grind to dust. I can always keep busy.

Now its a matter of tracking the hours most profitable and the areas that I should be in.
Honestly there is nothing wrong with the Prius.
It helps with your financial efficiency having a hybrid or an electric car.
I had a Toyota Hybrid for a while ( til a $%#@#$ drunk driver killed it)
I miss it. I have a Hyundai elantra now. . . not bad but it isn't my hybrid.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Honestly there is nothing wrong with the Prius.
It helps with your financial efficiency having a hybrid or an electric car.
I had a Toyota Hybrid for a while ( til a $%#@#$ drunk driver killed it)
I miss it. I have a Hyundai elantra now. . . not bad but it isn't my hybrid.
How do you like the Elantra? What gas mileage do you get?

I thought about the prius only because I thought Id be burning rubber 12/7, but it starting to look like I'll be on the road part time while working from home the other half.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
How do you like the Elantra? What gas mileage do you get?

I thought about the prius only because I thought Id be burning rubber 12/7, but it starting to look like I'll be on the road part time while working from home the other half.
I get about 30 miles to the gallon. In my Toyota Camry Hybrid I got around 40-42 mpg. . .
so a slight difference. . . I do notice though.
If you can afford a Hybrid for Uber, its worth it.

I do like my Elantra, has some more bells and whistles than my Camry. . .
but I liked my Camry better

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I just took delivery yesterday of a 2014 Prius with 140k miles. I paid $10,500. Paying $40 to fill up and having that last 2.5 Uber days will be a huge bump up in net take-home.
I am very interested in experienced Prius owners’ advice on what to pay particular attention to as far of maintenance and potential mechanical landmines.

·
Premium Member
3,837 Posts
Insurance, whatever you think you'll pay, double it, maybe triple it. If you don't tell your insurance company upfront you are doing rideshare and they find out, they will cancel you immediately, so, therefore, you'll need to tell them upfront, which means you'll need a rideshare endorsement, depending on the insurance company, it can add $50 or 50% to the cost. From the sounds of your posts, you have not had a car or insurance in some time, expect insurance companies to hold that against you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Insurance, whatever you think you'll pay, double it, maybe triple it. If you don't tell your insurance company upfront you are doing rideshare and they find out, they will cancel you immediately, so, therefore, you'll need to tell them upfront, which means you'll need a rideshare endorsement, depending on the insurance company, it can add $50 or 50% to the cost. From the sounds of your posts, you have not had a car or insurance in some time, expect insurance companies to hold that against you.
Wow. Thanks for that. That's shocking. I havent had a car for about a year.

·
Premium Member
3,837 Posts
Even if you made $5k monthly, if only for 3 months?
$5k or $6k per month means you're working 7 days, 12 to 14 hours per day, which by the way will burn you out fast. It also increases your cost to operate your vehicle. Working those kind of hours, to hit your money goals, you'll easily do 1,000 miles per week, maybe your vehicle expenses will go up, also, at a certain point, you'll need to replace the battery in that Prius. I know drivers doing 4,500 miles per month, and that's not working full-time, but maybe 3/4 time.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts