Uber is terrified that drivers, now independent contractors, may be reclassified as employees, Uber has fought many legal battles since 2014, across the country, to prevent this from happening:
- Pay minimum wage for service workers (like waitresses) if they receive tips otherwise normal minimum wage.
- Treat drivers averaging over 30 hours per week as full time employees. Meaning they get benefits including health insurance, unemployment insurance and a pension plan.
- Pay overtime to employees working over 40 hours per week.
- Vacation and sick days. Maternity leave.
- Adhere to the fair labor standards act and all state laws on employee rights.