Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to Uber (200 rides), and one of the things that surprised me as a novice was how often riders did NOT rate my rides. I do my best to impress, and so this was frustrating for me, especially when you know that the riders who aren't happy are more likely to use the rating system.

So just this last week I thought I'd try something new: ask for a 5-star rating. Near the end of my trips, I started saying, "If you're happy with your ride, I'd sure appreciate a 5-star rating." This worked great for me, and I've seen my 5-star rating number go up twice or three times faster than before. It's a simple thing that really seems to work, and more times than not the riders have responded, "Absolutely!"

Thoughts? Other ideas?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I incorporate the asking for 5 stars in my signs that also let the passenger know to tip as well. It kills 2 birds with 1 stone. I have a 4.9 rating and get tips on about 50% of my rides.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I incorporate the asking for 5 stars in my signs that also let the passenger know to tip as well. It kills 2 birds with 1 stone. I have a 4.9 rating and get tips on about 50% of my rides.
Would you mind sharing a pic of the signs you use and how you have them displayed? I've seen these on Amazon and eBay, but I was concerned they would come across as tacky to riders and have the reverse effect.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
When pax bring up the subject of driving for Uber, I anyways try to school them on the star system and let them know that Uber considers 4 stars a failure.

I also lie a little and tell them they get rated too, and if they fall below 4.6 no one will pick them up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Would you mind sharing a pic of the signs you use and how you have them displayed? I've seen these on Amazon and eBay, but I was concerned they would come across as tacky to riders and have the reverse effect.
Here's my signs. One on each headrest. I also have a cup in my front cup holder which I keep my tip money in so people sitting in the from seat get the right idea... They are laminated and I ran some ribbon though them and use Velcro to loop them around the head rests.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've never had anyone say anything negative about them. People usually comment on how professional they look or that they've never been in an Uber with signs. And if it's a guy taking a ride with his girl he has to tip so he doesn't look cheap.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Debated creating one that calls out Uber isn't against tipping they just haven't found the right engineer to code it into the app. Something that pokes fun at it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a similar sign as Cgaul. I have noticed that the people who don't tip are generally nicer, since they aren't tipping and a lot of pax will tell me they will rate me 5 stars as they're getting out....Ironically the only complaint I have gotten from the sign was from a fellow driver. He said it was rude and tacky to ask for 5 stars. I told him I could care less about the rating, I just want people to read about the tipping. He said it was unprofessional & of course he didn't tip.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have had many passengers complain about drivers begging for 5 stars and good comments, for the record.
Good for them! They are already getting a great deal compared to a cab, the least they could do is leave 5 stars if it's deserved. If you get s crappy rude driver I agree 5 stars isn't warranted.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have a similar sign as Cgaul. I have noticed that the people who don't tip are generally nicer, since they aren't tipping and a lot of pax will tell me they will rate me 5 stars as they're getting out....Ironically the only complaint I have gotten from the sign was from a fellow driver. He said it was rude and tacky to ask for 5 stars. I told him I could care less about the rating, I just want people to read about the tipping. He said it was unprofessional & of course he didn't tip.
Sounds like a jacka$$ or the guy that we heard refused tips.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts