Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tipping Option is like "Freedom of Speech" to me.

It is my civil right to tip or not to tip, or how much I want to tip.

Today, I felt violated when I went to a restaurant in Hackensack, NJ. to be exact, it was at
BOHEMIA RESTAURANT 287 Main St, Hackensack, NJ - service was slow as 35 minutes late with my food. At one point, I was about to get up and leave the place but I said to myself: I am not going to complaint and I will be calm and patient. This is my first time at this place. I noticed the place is only about 20% of capacity. Quiet empty.

After my meal, which I did enjoy, they said Colombian food but actually tasted more like Mexican. It was OK. No big deal.

When I got the check, I noticed there was a 18% Tip added and imposed to my bill without my consent. I ask the server: Why they put 18% tip on the bill? He replied, "that is our rule here". Because, I questioned the tip percentage, he brought me a menu and on the front bottom, in small lettering, it said: "18% tip will be added to the bill over $20 dollars". I asked him, why you did not mentioned that before I order? I said, that is weir, what about if I want to give you more tip? He said, "NO, that is the way we charge here". In this particular restaurant the customer has NO option to change the tipping option (adding or deleting).

I felt violated that they are imposing such a rule to their customers. For sure, I will never go back there.

After a while I was thinking. That is a violation to my "CIVIL RIGHT". Tipping is like "FREEDOM OF SPEECH" It should not be RESTRICTED or IMPOSED. This is my FREE WILL and RIGHT if we want to tip or not, or how much I want to give as a tip. As it is a violation to restrict that free will. (Like UBER restriction or imposing tip to customers for Uber Taxi or Uber X).

And this why, I will be filing a complaint with the Attorney General of NJ for my CIVIL RIGHT to prevail on tipping option. Tipping should not be RESTRICTED or IMPOSED.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
When I got the check, I noticed there was a 18% Tip added and imposed to my bill without my consent. I ask the server: Why they put 18% tip on the bill? He replied, "that is our rule here". Because, I questioned the tip percentage, he brought me a menu and on the front bottom, in small lettering, it said: "18% tip will be added to the bill over $20 dollars". I asked him, why you did not mentioned that before I order? I said, that is weir, what about if I want to give you more tip? He said, "NO, that is the way we charge here". In this particular restaurant the customer has NO option to change the tipping option (adding or deleting).

I felt violated that they are imposing such a rule to their customers. For sure, I will never go back there.
Isn't this restaurant getting slaughtered on yelp?

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts

Today, I felt violated when I went to a restaurant in Hackensack, NJ. to be exact, it was at
BOHEMIA RESTAURANT 287 Main St, Hackensack, NJ - service was slow as 35 minutes late with my food. At one point, I was about to get up and leave the place but I said to myself: I am not going to complaint and I will be calm and patient. This is my first time at this place. I noticed the place is only about 20% of capacity. Quiet empty.

After my meal, which I did enjoy, they said Colombian food but actually tasted more like Mexican. It was OK. No big deal.

After a while I was thinking. That is a violation to my "CIVIL RIGHT". Tipping is like "FREEDOM OF SPEECH" It should not be RESTRICTED or IMPOSED. This is my FREE WILL and RIGHT if we want to tip or not, or how much I want to give as a tip. As it is a violation to restrict that free will. (Like UBER restriction or imposing tip to customers for Uber Taxi or Uber X).

And this why, I will be filing a complaint with the Attorney General of NJ for my CIVIL RIGHT to prevail on tipping option. Tipping should not be RESTRICTED or IMPOSED.
Not sure if you'll be able to get anywhere with the complaint. If this really was a civil rights violation, I'm sure there would have been plenty of lawyers fighting Uber already.

My advise: While I appreciate your enthusiasm, you'll never get anywhere, so just don't bother.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
It is actual illegal to impose a tip I work as a server. If it was a service charge than it is not. A service charge is considered restaurant money not servers money

·
Registered
505 Posts

What a bunch of poop.

·
Registered
172 Posts
In NYC all restaurants like that because they pay the servers less than minimum wage, i heard they regulated by the law to add %18 on the check in new york city, plus many services they add the tip on their receipts like limousines business.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Your civil rights end the moment you entered the "private property" which is run by their own rules. As long as they have that notice somewhere, you can't do shite other than not going there again.

Some residences prohibit you from entering the premises after midnight, they lock their doors. Where's your civil rights then?

You need to check in and check out at certain times in hotels. Where's your civil right to do it your way? You pay for the room so why can't you check in at 8 instead of 3?

If you have an accident in a private propert and call the cops, they won't even file a report as long as there's no crime. They'll say you are in a private property.

Just like your "civil rights" these establishments are also protected by law and they can conduct their businesses the way they want to as long as they don't do anything illegal.

In your case, this would be not putting the required notice which is there just like you mentioned.

Not letting you know is indeed a poor business practice and should have been mentioned by the server before you order, since some people may not have enough funds to cover 18% extra charge, but it definitely is not illegal.

I would suggest you to stay away from the attorney general, if you don't want to get flagged as the village's ignorant.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Don't get offended they are just trying to keep their business running for you.
When it comes to provide service many businesses they have to add the gratuity on their receipt otherwise no one will work for them because their type of business when it is slow the owner can't afford keep paying salaries, like majority of limousine companies and restaurants they pay minimum wage plus gratuity added to the receipt. When it is slow they either pay the minimum wage only like restaurants or they reduce the hours like limousine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.