Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do this part time in Durham and chapel hill. Last week was super lame and I just gave up. Basically made 10$ an hour and that's before expenses! I drive a Prius but it's still totally lame. I did not drive late on the weekend just didn't feel like it. I hear this one guy lag monkey or Brooklyn doing good money is anybody else doing well?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I calculated all my expenses (gas, maintenance, depreciation...) to 18cents per mile.

I try to drive smart. I live out near Zebulon & have to take my daughter to gym in Knightdale M-F & every other Sat. Plus I go to church in downtown Raleigh, so I time my driving after I drop her at gym and other times when I'm already coming to Raleigh for church things.

I turn on my app as soon as I'm alone in my car so I can deduct the mileage of a trip I was already making.

I try to minimize deadhead driving. I stay in areas where I think I'll get longer rides & run household errands while I wait for pings. I coupon for our grocery shopping so I do more frequent, short grocery trips anyway & that combines well with uber driving.

This is also time when I really couldn't be working a normal job anyway because I need flexibility to take my kids to their stuff and in the spring, I travel a lot for my daughter's gymnastics competitions. So my opportunity costs are negligible there too.

I realize I'm still a new driver, but I'm already seeing patterns for fares & noticing areas that are better than others.

Anyway, after subtracting my expenses, I'm averaging $11/hr. If I didn't bother on Tues/Wed, I'd increase my per hour rate, but then I can't deduct the mileage for a trip to Raleigh I was already making. And since I'm going there anyway, if I can get a couple fares, it'll cover my gas for a trip I was making anyway.

On weekends, I'm making more per hour. I don't work late though, cause my husband is home around 10pm & time with him is worth more than what I make ubering.

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
I calculated all my expenses (gas, maintenance, depreciation...) to 18cents per mile.

I try to drive smart. I live out near Zebulon & have to take my daughter to gym in Knightdale M-F & every other Sat. Plus I go to church in downtown Raleigh, so I time my driving after I drop her at gym and other times when I'm already coming to Raleigh for church things.

I turn on my app as soon as I'm alone in my car so I can deduct the mileage of a trip I was already making.

I try to minimize deadhead driving. I stay in areas where I think I'll get longer rides & run household errands while I wait for pings. I coupon for our grocery shopping so I do more frequent, short grocery trips anyway & that combines well with uber driving.

This is also time when I really couldn't be working a normal job anyway because I need flexibility to take my kids to their stuff and in the spring, I travel a lot for my daughter's gymnastics competitions. So my opportunity costs are negligible there too.

I realize I'm still a new driver, but I'm already seeing patterns for fares & noticing areas that are better than others.

Anyway, after subtracting my expenses, I'm averaging $11/hr. If I didn't bother on Tues/Wed, I'd increase my per hour rate, but then I can't deduct the mileage for a trip to Raleigh I was already making. And since I'm going there anyway, if I can get a couple fares, it'll cover my gas for a trip I was making anyway.

On weekends, I'm making more per hour. I don't work late though, cause my husband is home around 10pm & time with him is worth more than what I make ubering.
Your cost per mile sounds very low to me and is probably based on $2.00 gas which won't last long. With that said, it sounds like it's working as well as can be expected for you. On a positive note, you won't have any income to declare on your taxes (I do the same thing, leave my app on all the time even when I know I won't get a call so I can declare all the mileage). If it's getting you a few extra bucks for time you are already in the car then what's to complain about BUT again, I think you underestimate your costs, depreciation is frequently 9-10 cents for an inexpensive 4 year old car right off the bat.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I actually estimated gas at 2.50/gallon. My car is an '08 Hyundai so my maintenance and depreciation is low. Plus, we do our own oil changes, tune-ups, brakes & routine car maintenance so that helps keep my costs low. And my kids' clean my car for me as part of their regular chores.

I already had a cell phone with unlimited data so no extra cost there.

Not everyone is in a similar situation though

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
I actually estimated gas at 2.50/gallon. My car is an '08 Hyundai so my maintenance and depreciation is low. Plus, we do our own oil changes, tune-ups, brakes & routine car maintenance so that helps keep my costs low. And my kids' clean my car for me as part of their regular chores.

I already had a cell phone with unlimited data so no extra cost there.

Not everyone is in a similar situation though
Awesome, sounds like you have it well thought out. My only caution would be that you may not be aware of how much time is spent on this. If you are doing own oil and brakes for example, are you considering the time. Not a big deal but for some things it starts to add up.

Nonetheless it sounds like it works well for you and that you understand your costs. Since you won't be driving during vomit comet hours you should be good to go. Safe travels!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
#s people so I drove Friday nite 12-3am and made 72$. 24$ an hour which is ok. Pretty much just sitting with customer app on waiting for surge then accepting trip and then texting pax. If the trip is short cancel and then attempt to get another. We should never accept any normal fares after 12 on the weekend!!!!!!!!! It's the regular rate fares that just completely piss me off!!!!!!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
My expenses are averaging 18 cents/mile for the year. I track fuel expense by the price at the pump for each fill up while working--average $2.47 for the year. Maintenance is figured to 3 cents/mile. Depreciation I figure at 5 cents/mile. I drive a Honda Civic. The expense estimate is likely low as I didn't consider the kind of miles I was putting on the car--lots of stop and go and the toll of heavy handed passengers.

My Uber Golden Rule--Less is More. When most of the college students left for Summer my per hour earnings after expenses took a nose dive--from $14/hour to averaging about minimum wage with the first week of June bottoming at $6 and change. My first idea was to just work more hours for less so that my weekly earnings would stay on par with what they had been. I soon realized that was a horrible idea. More sitting in the car, more miles to scratch out measly earnings. I decided my time was worth more.

So I cut back the hours from 18-20/week to 12-14/week and just focused on the hours of highest demand--Thursday, Friday Saturday 11:30-3:30, roughly. I wasn't making as much per week but per hour I got my average up to around $11 for the rest of Summer. The last few weeks with the school kids back my earnings sucked again and were back at Summer levels-$9/hour. I couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong and started to wonder if rates had been cut again because I had practically no wait times in between requests. I realized I wasn't being smart with my time--trying to will outcomes instead of going with the flow of supply and demand. Why start at 9pm when dinner demand drops, cars are stacked on top of each other and the elusive surge is there a minute gone the next? Working 9pm-11:30 was destroying my per hour net. Once again, working more but making less.

This past week my per hour was back up to pre-summer-$15, thank Gawd for the steady Football surges. Being naturally thick, I'm finally realizing the necessity of surge pricing if you wanna make ok money. Working at the normal, lowly rate outside of peak demand when surges are most likely, no matter how busy, is a suckers bet. The odds are stacked against the driver.

·
Registered
514 Posts
#s people so I drove Friday nite 12-3am and made 72$. 24$ an hour which is ok. Pretty much just sitting with customer app on waiting for surge then accepting trip and then texting pax. If the trip is short cancel and then attempt to get another. We should never accept any normal fares after 12 on the weekend!!!!!!!!! It's the regular rate fares that just completely piss me off!!!!!!!
I agree. They're ****ing insulting.

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
My expenses are averaging 18 cents/mile for the year. I track fuel expense by the price at the pump for each fill up while working--average $2.47 for the year. Maintenance is figured to 3 cents/mile. Depreciation I figure at 5 cents/mile. I drive a Honda Civic. The expense estimate is likely low as I didn't consider the kind of miles I was putting on the car--lots of stop and go and the toll of heavy handed passengers.

My Uber Golden Rule--Less is More. When most of the college students left for Summer my per hour earnings after expenses took a nose dive--from $14/hour to averaging about minimum wage with the first week of June bottoming at $6 and change. My first idea was to just work more hours for less so that my weekly earnings would stay on par with what they had been. I soon realized that was a horrible idea. More sitting in the car, more miles to scratch out measly earnings. I decided my time was worth more.

So I cut back the hours from 18-20/week to 12-14/week and just focused on the hours of highest demand--Thursday, Friday Saturday 11:30-3:30, roughly. I wasn't making as much per week but per hour I got my average up to around $11 for the rest of Summer. The last few weeks with the school kids back my earnings sucked again and were back at Summer levels-$9/hour. I couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong and started to wonder if rates had been cut again because I had practically no wait times in between requests. I realized I wasn't being smart with my time--trying to will outcomes instead of going with the flow of supply and demand. Why start at 9pm when dinner demand drops, cars are stacked on top of each other and the elusive surge is there a minute gone the next? Working 9pm-11:30 was destroying my per hour net. Once again, working more but making less.

This past week my per hour was back up to pre-summer-$15, thank Gawd for the steady Football surges. Being naturally thick, I'm finally realizing the necessity of surge pricing if you wanna make ok money. Working at the normal, lowly rate outside of peak demand when surges are most likely, no matter how busy, is a suckers bet. The odds are stacked against the driver.
I think you have an awesome approach to this, too bad there are only 6 football games ;-)

Around State campus has bee REALLY slow this year (last year was crazy insane) because the administration has really cracked down on fraternities. My understanding is that it's only going to be during rush (the first 6 weeks) so hopefully things will start to pick up in October. With that said, wasn't a bad Saturday this weekend, I was actually busy most of the night and made a decent amount of coin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts