Uber Drivers Forum banner

Have you ever felt like you were being set up for a robbery (aside from per mile rates;)

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 42.9%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just want to get your opinion on this situation.

I think I was targeted for a robbery last night. I'll tell you the situation, and you can weigh in on whether my thoughts are crazy or not.

Got a ping from a suburban location on Lyft. New rider. Got almost to the location and the guy (larger than average) flagged me down about 2 blocks from where the request was made from. Keep in mind it was colder and windy last night. Flag 1.

He chose to sit in the seat directly behind the drivers seat. Flag 2

He didn't have a destination in the system and said "I don't know it, just how to get there". I asked him for the nearest landmark and put that in the system. He says "you can just bring me right back here anyway right? I'm just going to pick up my girl". Flag 3

We get to the location, after he guides me the last few turns. He walks up to the door, doesn't knock, calls someone on the cell phone, no lights/clue anyone is in the place. Flag 4.

He comes back to the car and says "He'll be right out". His girl seems to have now turned into a guy. Flag 5.

The whole time he's sitting in the car he's mumbling to himself.

I tell him I am going to close out the ride after 1 more minute of rating, and he will just have to re request someone when "his girl" is ready to go. He "tries to call" one more time, but it's quiet enough in the car, I can hear the phone never rings on the other end.

Waited the minute, told him to get out, closed out the ride and drove away.
I watched from the stop light and he didn't go back to the door, and started walking away down the street.

All that long winded story being said, do you think he was planning to rob me and lost his nerve?
Full disclosure, I'm what we would call full figured, or a plus size model. Perhaps he was hoping for a less formidable driver?

Or am I just being unreasonably jumpy? This is only the second time in over 1500 rides I've been uncomfortable w/ a pax.
Also, what is the best reaction to this? Can I report to Lyft/Uber? Nothing technically happened, and I'm not sure how to report a feeling. Would the cops care?
Thanks for the venting.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey all, just want to get your opinion on this situation.

I think I was targeted for a robbery last night. I'll tell you the situation, and you can weigh in on whether my thoughts are crazy or not.

Got a ping from a suburban location on Lyft. New rider. Got almost to the location and the guy (larger than average) flagged me down about 2 blocks from where the request was made from. Keep in mind it was colder and windy last night. Flag 1.

He chose to sit in the seat directly behind the drivers seat. Flag 2

He didn't have a destination in the system and said "I don't know it, just how to get there". I asked him for the nearest landmark and put that in the system. He says "you can just bring me right back here anyway right? I'm just going to pick up my girl". Flag 3

We get to the location, after he guides me the last few turns. He walks up to the door, doesn't knock, calls someone on the cell phone, no lights/clue anyone is in the place. Flag 4.

He comes back to the car and says "He'll be right out". His girl seems to have now turned into a guy. Flag 5.

The whole time he's sitting in the car he's mumbling to himself.

I tell him I am going to close out the ride after 1 more minute of rating, and he will just have to re request someone when "his girl" is ready to go. He "tries to call" one more time, but it's quiet enough in the car, I can hear the phone never rings on the other end.

Waited the minute, told him to get out, closed out the ride and drove away.
I watched from the stop light and he didn't go back to the door, and started walking away down the street.

All that long winded story being said, do you think he was planning to rob me and lost his nerve?
Full disclosure, I'm what we would call full figured, or a plus size model. Perhaps he was hoping for a less formidable driver?

Or am I just being unreasonably jumpy? This is only the second time in over 1500 rides I've been uncomfortable w/ a pax.
Also, what is the best reaction to this? Can I report to Lyft/Uber? Nothing technically happened, and I'm not sure how to report a feeling. Would the cops care?
Thanks for the venting.
I think he was sizing you up and figured it would be too much effort.

I've had similar experiences with sketchy pax too. I'm a 6 foot 270 lb guy - these losers just look for easy victims.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is there a worse robbery target than a lyft driver? Take your pick of no cash or a $5,000 car...

To answer your questions, cops won't really care. I think you definitely had something going on there though. Might not have been a robbery, but maybe a drug deal or something else.

·
Registered
41 Posts
No to robbery, drug deal/pickup yes....especially if you were giving him a ride back to where you picked him up. Always listen to your gut though. Have your pepper spray close by and seat belt on. (worst case things go south you slam your car into a tree, they never wear seatbelts in back.)
Love the pepper spray idea. I put mine on a string and have it hanging on my turn signal lever. Easy to grab without being noticed and keep in your hand.

·
Registered
176 Posts
What time of day, where in mpls? I have had some scary things happen in north mpls and I just cacell, go off line, and drive to a new location, especially when the sun goes down. If you don't agree,..,.,,.stupid

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sounds like it could have been. I've been in a similar situation. But I feel they will target those who they feel would be "Easy". From the sound of it, you're a bigger dude - someone who could definitely put up a fight and not make it easy, IMHO.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Probably a drug buy. I had a ride from St Paul to Minneapolis and the guy asked me to wait for him. Took 3 minutes and back to his house.

Also the last two Lyft trips I've had have had no destination and one guy had no idea of the address only how to direct me. Gave him a 1 star and said know your destination. Lyft support came back in under 5 minutes apologizing and promising never to pair us again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.