Uber Drivers Forum banner

I sent this email to uber

2K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Happy Phantom 
#1 ·
Hello. I hope this email finds you well. For starters I just want to say I take pride in being an uber partner. I love being able to provide a service and to have an impact on the world around me. I am however disheartened by how we allow passengers to use us. When I say use us, I am talking about their sense of entitlement to not only get a ride but to feel as if they are owed something more. I am driving my car, in hopes of making someone's day by being able to get them where they need to be. I don't deserve bad ratings or complaints for doing my job. For someone to be able to perceive me in a way and can leave a complaint that says 'attitude' is disheartening. Why are we not requiring passengers to leave a comment on their negative experience? It should be a requirement to elaborate on how this poor service affected the passenger. I want to know where I went wrong with the ride. 'Attitude or lack of professionalism' is not enough feedback to fix an issue. How do we know that is not the passengers attitude in which is being reflected on the riding experience? How can we be sure to fix said feedback if it's an evasive comment? I would prefer to know where I went wrong so that I may have a chance to reevaluate and correct the behavior. I do not have a poor attitude and I think from previous comments passengers have enjoyed my company. If they can leave positive comments, they should be required to leave negative comments as well. Also it would help in increasing ratings if we knew how each ride rates us after they have rated. The rating should be attached to the ride and fare for future reference, with the comment reflecting why they chose to rate in the manner they did. I hate to ramble on but we as driver-partners should be made aware of how to improve service in a less generic way and in a more personal way (the tips are not helpful, as I think we all know to exude a positive attitude). Just something to think about from the perspective of a driver!

See less See more
#3 ·
Would you ever allow a driverless car to pick you up and carry you home? I know I wouldn't. Let's see how far they get with this idea...and I Wonder how the passengers will rate the non-driver machine. They are beyond ridiculous...and who pays for the car? Uber is making a killing because we pay for our car notes, they don't pay for our cars or maintenance...I think you're right. I make too much sense.

#8 ·
Hi Phantom, Well stated. If someone actually read it, I think it would make an impression as you are obviously sincere and the kind of person Uber should want driving its customers. I am not sure, though, if these notes are actually read, or scanned for keywords and then tagged with a response. Drivers provide real customer service. Would be nice to get it back in return. Keep the great attitude. No one can ever take that from you! Best,

#9 ·
Personally, I think that anytime a PAX wants to leave a 4-star or less rating, they need to explain why. I picked up a returning customer last night, and just as before, after the trip had ended the difference in my rated rides and 5-star rated rides increased by 1, just as it had the last time I transported him. Being that I spent a majority of my time running Lyft last night, and he was my first Uber fare it seems a logical deduction to make.

So I went in and rerated him and hopefully I will never be paired with him again. I'm not sure what these folks expect, I don't do water and mints and such, never have. At Uber's current rates I don't plan to either. The car is clean, I accommodate the PAX as much as possible (within reason) - available AUX cord and charger, and they get from point A to point B safely.

As of yesterday AM I had completed 6 trips with Lyft and made about $94. I completed 9 with Uber and made approximately $67. So as it stands now, for me anyway, Lyft is more profitable on the front end (higher income) and on the back end (less trips - less wear and tear on the car).

#11 ·
You're right. They should set the rating system so a pax can only leave something less than 5 stars if they comment explaining what the issue was. Then, if they aren't willing to leave a comment, let that rating disappear completely. Obviously, they're whimsical attitudes towards hammering a driver's rating isn't worth much if they aren't annoyed enough to comment. I got two 1 star ratings, and had more than two awful passengers last week. Neither rider was willing to give me any constructive feedback.

The system is purposefully bad, and is obviously being used by Uber as a middle-management tactic to keep drivers second-guessing themselves, and not Uber.

#13 ·
If it helps you to vent out than that's good for you, however I have worked in the industry (restaurant industry) for many years and I see high similarity with this business , means : when I had a bad/complaining customer in the restaurant who didn't leave a tip I just moved on, same here , sometimes you just get a miserable rider but you just drop him say goodbye and you go on with your rides..never take it personal (how many times did I see female servers crying in that business..)...That being said I always would prefer to be with Uber than any other business..

#14 ·
I one-star those passengers and report them to Uber so Uber might notice a pattern after repeated future complaints from drivers. Better yet, if this sort of passenger has a poor rating (say, below 4.5) I hopefully didn't accept the ride request in the first place.

#15 ·
There are so many unfair things about a 5-star rating system.

1) 1/3 rd of my passengers do not rate me
2) I get about 85% 5-star ratings
3) Sometimes I can get on a nice run and get several days of 5-star ratings
4) If there is a large surge, your ratings will be impacted negatively by overpriced rides
5) A lot of post-mortem ratings come in that are non-5-stars...these can be days after a ride
6) A trip that is 2 hours is rated the same as a trip that is 5 minutes

- I have seen my rating move up recently by making the following changes:
1) I am more talkative. I ask people where they are from and try to have a good conversation. I never force it but mostly small talk.
2) I offer people gum..Mentos..and I get a lot of positives from that...
3) I avoid driving in poor neighborhoods...and picking up students from local colleges...picking up these folks has hurt my ratings in the past.
4) I never ask for a 5-star and I never ask for a tip
5) If I make a mistake during the ride or at the pickup point I apologize to the pax
6) I avoid picking up below average passengers especially near last call.
7) I always cancel and take the fee if the pax does not contact me within 5 minutes of arrival.
8) If the rider is new to Uber, I tell them about the current Promo Code for a $22 discount.

My rating has moved up from 4.68 to 4.74 and I have 750 rated trips. My goal is 4.76 or higher which will show up as a 4.8 on the app.
4.8 is a very good driver. 4.7 is an average driver and 4.6 is below average. For passengers I use 4.9 as a very good passenger 4.8 as an average passenger and 4.7 as a below average passenger. Your ratings may vary based on your market.

#19 ·
You guys are pretty bad at your jobs, I had 2000 UberX trips 4.9. 700+ Lyft @ 4.95. Unfortunately I haven't driven either platform in about a year so I'm sure I'm deactivated.
I have only been doing this part time for a year...and I am happy with my rating. I have a friend that is a driver and his rating is below 4.6 and he is constantly getting into bad situations with the police. Sorry to hear you are no longer driving for the service...we need more good drivers. Would love to hear some tips on how you were able to get so many 5-star ratings.

#22 ·
If it helps you to vent out than that's good for you, however I have worked in the industry (restaurant industry) for many years and I see high similarity with this business , means : when I had a bad/complaining customer in the restaurant who didn't leave a tip I just moved on, same here , sometimes you just get a miserable rider but you just drop him say goodbye and you go on with your rides..never take it personal (how many times did I see female servers crying in that business..)...That being said I always would prefer to be with Uber than any other business..
Same here. I was a server for 18 years before I quit in April. Been driving uber part time. It just aggravates my soul to not know who the complaints come from. At least at cheesecake I knew the guest that did have the balls to complain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.