Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would consider myself a pleasant professional driver, as backed up by my 4.9 rating. Occasionally though I might see the red mist and I wonder if I'm actually as nice as I thought or slowly being corrupted and jaded by Uber.

I accept a request and see that the pin is in the center of a large store along a busy road in North-East LA. When I get there I can't actually see the entrance because a bus is parked there. I go a little past the bus and pull up. In the mirror I see the pax approach, waddling a bit and carrying a box. I lean over and open the door for her. As she climbs in I can see she has a face like thunder. "What's up?" "Nothing." "No, what is it?" "You saw me - I can't believe you parked over here." "Excuse me?" "You made me walk!"

At this point a couple of voices start up in my head. The first says no matter what you do from now on this pax is going to 1-star you. The second says you are an "independent contractor" and you can control this. I say, "Maybe I should just cancel this ride and you can request someone else because you have a really bad attitude."
"I'm sorry," she says, "I'm pregnant and tired." Should I reconsider? But the voice keeps saying 1-star, 1-star-1-star. I announce "I'm cancelling this ride", hit "do not charge rider", get out, take her box and put it back out on the curb. She climbs miserably out. "Perhaps you'll be nicer to the next driver," I say and head off.

For a while I think maybe I just acted like Satan Incarnate. But the rating system made me do this! If I wasn't concerned about getting 1-starred, I could have just sucked it up. Does Uber realise trips are being cancelled left right and center because of fear of a bad rating? It seems a bit nuts to me.

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
This is where thinking on the fly is important. And the ratings have got into your head. And at 4.9 it could take a hit. And most likely a 4* may have been given.

She did say she was sorry. And being a nice guy you / I would have apologized for not seeing her. She did the right thing by being behind the bus so you could see her. Look for people with there heads in there phone when you pull up.

And I am not going to be sorry that the Court of Public opinion is not going to be with you when it comes to pregnant woman. However you can blame Uber for selfishness. Me personally, its the learning curve and next time you will do better.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I would consider myself a pleasant professional driver, as backed up by my 4.9 rating. Occasionally though I might see the red mist and I wonder if I'm actually as nice as I thought or slowly being corrupted and jaded by Uber.

I accept a request and see that the pin is in the center of a large store along a busy road in North-East LA. When I get there I can't actually see the entrance because a bus is parked there. I go a little past the bus and pull up. In the mirror I see the pax approach, waddling a bit and carrying a box. I lean over and open the door for her. As she climbs in I can see she has a face like thunder. "What's up?" "Nothing." "No, what is it?" "You saw me - I can't believe you parked over here." "Excuse me?" "You made me walk!"

At this point a couple of voices start up in my head. The first says no matter what you do from now on this pax is going to 1-star you. The second says you are an "independent contractor" and you can control this. I say, "Maybe I should just cancel this ride and you can request someone else because you have a really bad attitude."
"I'm sorry," she says, "I'm pregnant and tired." Should I reconsider? But the voice keeps saying 1-star, 1-star-1-star. I announce "I'm cancelling this ride", hit "do not charge rider", get out, take her box and put it back out on the curb. She climbs miserably out. "Perhaps you'll be nicer to the next driver," I say and head off.

For a while I think maybe I just acted like Satan Incarnate. But the rating system made me do this! If I wasn't concerned about getting 1-starred, I could have just sucked it up. Does Uber realise trips are being cancelled left right and center because of fear of a bad rating? It seems a bit nuts to me.
It seems nuts because it is nuts. And from my experience, super pregnant ladies can also be a little nuts (not their fault--hormones). I probably would have tried explaining--with sincerity--that I really didn't see her standing there and then gauge the situation from there. You are not horrible for cancelling, but I probably wouldn't have...with that said, you have a higher rating than me...so...there you go. Uber on!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't think you should feel horrible... But at least kind of bad. Lol

I've got a 4.92 rating after 6 months, and I would totally still risk a lower rating for a pregnant lady. I would try my best to explain I didn't see her. Hopefully get at least a 4 by the end.

I definitely have a short temper and wait a while before starting trips with "bro" passengers. If I get a bad vibe I'll tell them to get out and cancel-no charge. One interaction was a guy: *roll down window* "You here for 'Brad'?" "Yes." "Good answer. I would've given you shit." *lock doors* "Don't give the next driver shit." *drive off*

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ejection justified. Being pregnant and/or tired is not a free pass to act like an ass.
disagree...pregnant woman are just mean...except my wife...she was really really mean. That said, I would try to not cancel and leave a pregnant woman, but would not have blamed a driver that canceled and left mine. She was mean.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Tough decision, my general rule is that if something happens before I start the ride to make me think that they are going to give me a low rating, I cancel. Uber does not give us much room for error. We have to be above a 4.6 so that is the way it has to be. It is something that I think Uber should consider, if they want us to drive college students around and angry pax, then I feel that we shouldn't be held to such a strict standard. Until that changes, people will get cancelled, regardless of their pregnant or not pregnant status. Trust me, they were not going to remove a 1 star rating because someone was pregnant and cranky.

350 Posts

Ever hear of empathy? Hormones? I'm not going to say you are an ******* for this, but you sure are on the rim of the hole.

350 Posts
I might say it's Uber's policies that always have you working on the rim of the hole.
Possibly. I do 100 trips per week so I don't give a **** about a couple 1 star rides. If you are a weekend driver I can understand your worry. Something else to think about: if she is good at writing solid, coherent emails then she could get you deactivated. Pregnant woman are a protected class. Plus would you want someone doing that to your wife, mother, sister, etc. You kicked her out over a misunderstanding. I have been doing this for over three years and I have never kicked anyone out.

·
Super Moderator
16,015 Posts
Possibly. I do 100 trips per week so I don't give a **** about a couple 1 star rides. If you are a weekend driver I can understand your worry. Something else to think about: if she is good at writing solid, coherent emails then she could get you deactivated. Pregnant woman are a protected class. Plus would you want someone doing that to your wife, mother, sister, etc. You kicked her out over a misunderstanding. I have been doing this for over three years and I have never kicked anyone out.
Pregnant women are a protected class but he didn't kick her out BECAUSE she was pregnant, he kicked her out because of her behavior.

I don't think I would have kicked her out, but I wasn't there so it's hard to tell how bad she behaved.

350 Posts
Pregnant women are a protected class but he didn't kick her out BECAUSE she was pregnant, he kicked her out because of her behavior.

I don't think I would have kicked her out, but I wasn't there so it's hard to tell how bad she behaved.
He explained her behavior and uber doesn't care about "why" when it comes to protected classes. If you can't "grin and bear it" you shouldn't be in a customer service job.

·
Registered
919 Posts

Dont feel bad for her because there'll be another uberx there in just a few. Maybe she will learn a lesson not to take it out on others for her having a hard day

·
Registered
919 Posts
And for the ones giving OP a hard time note this : if it wasnt for the shitty rating system uber has he would have taken her,thats at least what i believe. Everyone of us know to respect a pregnant woman and bear with her attitude but how about getting a 1 star at the cost of losing your job on top of all that.
Blame uber for allowing clients getting drivers fired because of their shitty mistakes and ratings i must say.

350 Posts
And for the ones giving OP a hard time note this : if it wasnt for the shitty rating system uber has he would have taken her,thats at least what i believe. Everyone of us know to respect a pregnant woman and bear with her attitude but how about getting a 1 star at the cost of losing your job on top of all that.
Blame uber for allowing clients getting drivers fired because of their shitty mistakes and ratings i must say.
Refusing people because they have a slight attitude and might 1 star you is for sensitive *******.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts