Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got my first impaired driving report which put my account on hold till Uber investigates this.

The backstory, I'm doing XL in Hoboken and it's around 1 am right before the massive surging. My phone lights up and I hear the Uber "alarm" chime. It's a 4.85 (at this time of night these are unicorns) rider named "Matt" with no surge, and I say to myself, I guess I could squeeze one in and the rider rating is high so I won't have an issue so I "accept". Start driving down to the Village Pourhouse (1st in Hoboken) which if you know is a narrow one-way streets with cars parked on either side.

Traffic is crawling and I drove by the bar slowly make sure my 4.85 rider will see me and I drive by the Pourhouse and I see a group of people that I suspect might be "Matt" but they completely miss me. To not block traffic on this tiny one way round I pull up to a corner street and wait for my rider. Timer is almost up and I'm ready to cancel when I get a call, "Where are you?", I tell him "At the corner because I can't wait out front and block traffic". When Matt reaches my XL, they try to squeeze in 8 people plus myself turning my 7 seater suv into a 9 seater suv! He yells to them "F it get in we can fit". I tell him no, as they start flashing a ten dollar bill at me and saying "other drivers do it", which I do not accept. One of the other passengers tell "Matt" let's order another XL that will do 8 and he knowingly replies no other XL will do 8 so he kicks out 2 of his people and I start the trip. One of the girls leaving starts pushing my door close while another passenger inside is trying to force it open.

After settling the # of pax down to 6, I start my trip, and see it's a 30 min drive to West Caldwell. The ride itself was pleasant, uneventful, I even let them use my google play subscription to play whatever they wanted but in the end I got a "Account needs attention" which ended my night on a non surge ride in the middle of w. bumble f NJ.

Red flags that I missed.
1. 4.85 rider completely missed me driving by as I saw their group.
2. Rider tried to fit in 8 people without asking me if it is ok, then tried to bargain with me.
3. Non surge ride near bar closing time.

I should have cancelled at #2. Driving XL puts you at a higher risk of deactivation when pax try to fit 8 or 9 drunk people in your ride.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Sorry to hear this happened. I just went through this w few weeks ago. I suggest you do the following:

1. Push back at Uber that this is complete bullshit and that you have the dashcam to prove it.
2. Insist that if you are not immediately reactivated that you will have to sue the passenger in civil court for loss of earnings.
3. File a safety report on the passenger that they violated Ubers passenger safety standards.

If you sit back and take it Uber will take their sweet ass time to reactivate you.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Sorry to hear this happened. I just went through this w few weeks ago. I suggest you do the following:

1. Push back at Uber that this is complete bullshit and that you have the dashcam to prove it.
2. Insist that if you are not immediately reactivated that you will have to sue the passenger in civil court for loss of earnings.
3. File a safety report on the passenger that they violated Ubers passenger safety standards.

If you sit back and take it Uber will take their sweet ass time to reactivate you.
Also, while talking to Uber, try to use the word "lawyer" as much as possible. Rohit in India, no matter how stupid he is, will at least understand the meaning of the word "lawyer", and expedite your case.

·
Registered
376 Posts
How exactly can Uber determine if a driver was "impaired" or not? They weren't there.

Ohhhhh. They just believe the passenger's story and deactivate you for a couple days until it becomes a non-story in their re-activation dept?

·
Premium Member
11,599 Posts
I have a dashcam, it doesn't help.
There's a guy suing Uber for deactivating him for impairment reports that were based on his slurred speech which is from a stroke he suffered. Uber knew this and refused to acknowledge his evidence. He'll probably win on discrimination, which is a bit different, but should open up the conversation about their "investigations".

And this situation is actually an argument FOR giving the DoL the info they want, and getting employee protections.

Just sayin'...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Bottom line: Most passengers (particularly late at night) would be easier to deal with - and would probably give you higher marks - if you are, in fact, seriously impaired.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
There's a guy suing Uber for deactivating him for impairment reports that were based on his slurred speech which is from a stroke he suffered. Uber knew this and refused to acknowledge his evidence. He'll probably win on discrimination, which is a bit different, but should open up the conversation about their "investigations".

And this situation is actually an argument FOR giving the DoL the info they want, and getting employee protections.

Just sayin'...
The last thing any rideshare driver should want or even think about is employee protection. Here is what will happen. Once you are an "employee" then they could tell you where to go and when. Oh you thought you could just get online and drive when you want, Ummm no, we need you to drive from 6am-6pm because you are our employee and we can tell you what time we need you to drive. Oh and you thought you would drive DTS on Saturday night in the middle of July? Sorry we need drivers in West NJ so that's where you need to go. Oh and no you can't decline any rides we send you and you have to drive the route given through our GPS system because, well you are our employee and we are your employer and since this is how you are now classified you have to follow our direction and we have total control of everything you do and if you don't want to do it well that would be insubordination and you will just be fired.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
The last thing any rideshare driver should want or even think about is employee protection. Here is what will happen. Once you are an "employee" then they could tell you where to go and when. Oh you thought you could just get online and drive when you want, Ummm no, we need you to drive from 6am-6pm because you are our employee and we can tell you what time we need you to drive. Oh and you thought you would drive DTS on Saturday night in the middle of July? Sorry we need drivers in West NJ so that's where you need to go. Oh and no you can't decline any rides we send you and you have to drive the route given through our GPS system because, well you are our employee and we are your employer and since this is how you are now classified you have to follow our direction and we have total control of everything you do and if you don't want to do it well that would be insubordination and you will just be fired.
You forgot to add that "oh and by the way this is the new uniform you need to wear with our logo on the chest because you are an employee now and all our employees must wear a uniform". LoL

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
How exactly can Uber determine if a driver was "impaired" or not? They weren't there.

Ohhhhh. They just believe the passenger's story and deactivate you for a couple days until it becomes a non-story in their re-activation dept?
They can't . This is an image thing . They need to have people think that they are tough on inappropriate behavior so they put the driver on hold for a period of time while they twiddle their thumbs .

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Earlier this year I got hit with an impaired driver report. I'm sober A LONG TIME so this came as quite a shock. Five minutes at the HUB and I was back online. Paxhole reported 7 drivers that week for impaired driving. Was told they deactivated pax account and they gave me a $50 credit for lost wages.

·
Premium Member
4,240 Posts
So i got my first impaired driving report which put my account on hold till Uber investigates this.

The backstory, I'm doing XL in Hoboken and it's around 1 am right before the massive surging. My phone lights up and I hear the Uber "alarm" chime. It's a 4.85 (at this time of night these are unicorns) rider named "Matt" with no surge, and I say to myself, I guess I could squeeze one in and the rider rating is high so I won't have an issue so I "accept". Start driving down to the Village Pourhouse (1st in Hoboken) which if you know is a narrow one-way streets with cars parked on either side.

Traffic is crawling and I drove by the bar slowly make sure my 4.85 rider will see me and I drive by the Pourhouse and I see a group of people that I suspect might be "Matt" but they completely miss me. To not block traffic on this tiny one way round I pull up to a corner street and wait for my rider. Timer is almost up and I'm ready to cancel when I get a call, "Where are you?", I tell him "At the corner because I can't wait out front and block traffic". When Matt reaches my XL, they try to squeeze in 8 people plus myself turning my 7 seater suv into a 9 seater suv! He yells to them "F it get in we can fit". I tell him no, as they start flashing a ten dollar bill at me and saying "other drivers do it", which I do not accept. One of the other passengers tell "Matt" let's order another XL that will do 8 and he knowingly replies no other XL will do 8 so he kicks out 2 of his people and I start the trip. One of the girls leaving starts pushing my door close while another passenger inside is trying to force it open.

After settling the # of pax down to 6, I start my trip, and see it's a 30 min drive to West Caldwell. The ride itself was pleasant, uneventful, I even let them use my google play subscription to play whatever they wanted but in the end I got a "Account needs attention" which ended my night on a non surge ride in the middle of w. bumble f NJ.

Red flags that I missed.
1. 4.85 rider completely missed me driving by as I saw their group.
2. Rider tried to fit in 8 people without asking me if it is ok, then tried to bargain with me.
3. Non surge ride near bar closing time.

I should have cancelled at #2. Driving XL puts you at a higher risk of deactivation when pax try to fit 8 or 9 drunk people in your ride.
George,

not your fault. you cant predict this shit. you can take any ride in hindsight and look for red flags after, you'll always find them.

happens to the best of us buddy. ride out your 24-48, then just forget about it. don't let it eat you up.

if you visit the hub, you might be able to speed it up. ask them to look at the rider account to see if they have a history of bogus reports.

good luck man.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts