Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

I received 600 dollars worth of tickets after picking up passengers.

5K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  Jennyma 
#1 ·
As I was driving to get my passengers, they saw me in the street and ran out to me and got in my car. I was then pulled over. Although I'm not a sovereign citizen, I was exercising my rights by not answering any questions. Since I didn't say anything, he asked my passengers to which they responded that they were. I gave him my information which included an expired insurance card (I have updated cards but I was nervous). He returns with three tickets: 1. Picking up taxi cab passengers at a crosswalk (there was no crosswalk) 2. Failure to display insurance, and 3. Operating a vehicle without insurance. I tried to ask the officer questions but he ignored me and walked away. Although I regret it and wasn't the best course of action, I flicked off the officers and yelled an expletive at them. I have pretty good evidence to dispute these charges, but what's the worst that I can expect to happen?
Can or will this effect me as a driver?

#2 ·
Well, if the officer heard that you cursed at him and saw you flick them off, they can tell the judge that at your hearing. That will make sure that any possibly leniency the judge would have had is gone.

In my state, it's a ticket if you don't display current insurance, even if it's up to date. So you'll probably pay that ticket. If you do indeed have valid insurance, obviously you won't have to pay that fine. I'd take a picture of where you got pulled over to prove to the judge that there was no crosswalk.

Now, here's "cop 101." No, you don't legally have to answer a single question an officer asks you. But that also means in cases of rather simple questions, you just end up pissing them off. So instead of a possible warning or maybe just one ticket, they'll max you out.

#3 ·
In what state did you register you vehicle?
Were these Police or Harassmen-ER-uh-HACK Inspectors?
Where did this occur?

If the summons for insurance was issued in the state where you registered the vehicle, it could mean points on your licence.

You are not driving a "taxi" by legal definition, even if, in reality, you are driving an unlicenced, illegal, discount taxicab. You might be able to beat that one.

What is this business about "Failure to display insurance". Does he mean an insurance sticker? When Novell Sullivan was chair of the D.C. Taxicab Commission (late 1990s to early 2000s) he got rid of the insurance stickers. If that is what he means, you can beat that one.

If you produce a current insurance card, you should be able to get the "operating without insurance" at least busted down.

The annoying thing is that you will have to go to traffic court. If you want to talk to a traffic lawyer, send me a PM. I will give you the telephone number of one.

#19 ·
You always have several options, but easiest option is to pay a quick ticket attorney to appear on your behalf. Traffic attorneys have relationships w judges that allow a much smoother process and cases can be extended for as long as you want- 2 years sometimes if need be. It's not so much that you need an attorney, rather the attorney can get things done that you can't. It can save a lot of expense, hassle and court appearance.

Just make sure you get a good deal & make sure to research yelp reviews before choosing one.

#5 ·
I can't see it affecting you as a driver unless you get points and Uber runs another DMV records check. Get an attorney (biggest mistake people make is going to traffic court without one on violations where points are involved) and likely you won't get any points.

But again, back to that fact that you cursed out the cop. Did they hear it? If the cop heard your curse them out, he will be at your hearing with a huge smile on his face, just waiting to tell the judge. Then, you have a huge uphill battle.

#6 ·
"Flick off"? That's new to me. We use flip off round here. East coast thing?

My understanding is you only get points against your license for moving violations. Your infractions don't seem in that category.

I'm always super respectful of LEOs. I want them on my side as much as possible. I've received more warnings than tickets.

#7 ·
I don't think you need a lawyer for that. The officer's, whatever department they are with were definitely out to get you. The cross walk is a certain distance from the intersection, paint or not. You're not on a dirt road in Alaska, it's DC. The intel they got on you should have shown you have insurance, whether you provided it or not. Just show your insurance coverage. I got a speeding ticket on Christmas Eve. I did say Merry Christmas after that. :rolleyes: Either the judge takes your side or theirs. There isn't much you can do, unless you're going after the lack of paint or the distance, with a lawyer. :rolleyes:

#15 ·
"Flick off"? That's new to me. We use flip off round here. East coast thing?

My understanding is you only get points against your license for moving violations. Your infractions don't seem in that category.

I'm always super respectful of LEOs. I want them on my side as much as possible. I've received more warnings than
Here is a thought, drive normal!
These infractions have nothing to do with driving (if you read my post you'd know that). Furthermore, police can and will find and or make up anything they want anyway. "Normal" people commit minor infractions every day that "normal" cops would overlook.

#9 ·
If you have current ins, 2 & 3 will be dropped, plead no contest to #1, mebbe get off with a small civil fine and or /withhold adjudication.

Reactions: 5 Star Guy
#10 ·
As I was driving to get my passengers, they saw me in the street and ran out to me and got in my car. I was then pulled over. Although I'm not a sovereign citizen, I was exercising my rights by not answering any questions. Since I didn't say anything, he asked my passengers to which they responded that they were. I gave him my information which included an expired insurance card (I have updated cards but I was nervous). He returns with three tickets: 1. Picking up taxi cab passengers at a crosswalk (there was no crosswalk) 2. Failure to display insurance, and 3. Operating a vehicle without insurance. I tried to ask the officer questions but he ignored me and walked away. Although I regret it and wasn't the best course of action, I flicked off the officers and yelled an expletive at them. I have pretty good evidence to dispute these charges, but what's the worst that I can expect to happen?
you should move to Chicago and drive there. Uber drivers have $15 million dollars in tickets That have gone unpaid.Uber says they'll pick up the tab, but it could affect your driving record with your insurance company you might check that out.
if you gave Uber a fake insurance company card and name then I wouldn't worry about it.

#11 ·
I don't think you need a lawyer for that. The officer's, whatever department they are with were definitely out to get you. The cross walk is a certain distance from the intersection, paint or not. You're not on a dirt road in Alaska, it's DC. The intel they got on you should have shown you have insurance, whether you provided it or not. Just show your insurance coverage. I got a speeding ticket on Christmas Eve. I did say Merry Christmas after that. :rolleyes: Either the judge takes your side or theirs. There isn't much you can do, unless you're going after the lack of paint or the distance, with a lawyer. :rolleyes:
hopefully you were not in Ferguson Missouri. there the police issued millions of dollars in fraudulent tickets to drivers one guy got 14 tickets on one stop so it's not a new record.

#12 ·
If you have insurance, the judge would wonder why the officers ignored that, and show they were giving you a hard time. That might counter the crosswalk infraction and if they mention your attitude after. You should Google the exact infraction, they have ways to defend it, without a lawyer. Worked for my ticket, when the officer was looking to meet his quota. :rolleyes:

#14 ·
My gut feeling is that you could beat all the tickets, given what you said ( take a picture of where you were ticketed, proving there was no crosswalk, etc. ) Also, you do have insurance, just present it to the judge, etc.

There are Ticket lawyers, some are pretty good, that will beat the rap for like, $100. It's worth it, if you think you got a good case, and it sounds like you do.

#16 ·
Not a fan of Travass having anyone's back but it wouldn't hurt to run it by them, just don't expect anything. They might want to know if there's an uptick in harassment in certain markets. They claim to have driver's backs in new markets but you'd never get intel on the percentage they represent or the success rate. :rolleyes:

#17 ·
"...I was exercising my rights by not answering any questions."
So the police pulled you over, and you decided to be uncooperative and rude. You do have a right to stand up against the police, and I applaud your efforts, however, don't expect police to cut you any slack in the aftermath.

I guess you're a person who'd rather be right than happy. Good for you, I'm sure it'll be worth the expense and trouble from all of the tickets you're going to receive after you assert your rights to every cop you come across. Give 'em hell, tiger.

Perhaps I'm a coward, but I play things a bit differently. For example, the other week, at around 2 am in San Francisco, I was picking up a passenger and I somehow rolled well past the red pedestrian light on 4th street in SOMA. The light is mid-block, not at an intersection and its function is only to stop traffic for pedestrians. As I was already pulled over curbside and the passenger was another 30 or 40 feet ahead, I rolled up to him slowly and the cops saw me and had me dead-to-rights, running a red light. I was as polite as possible with them and I explained that I was a newbie Uber driver and that I realized that I was paying too much attention to my navigator app, as opposed to focusing on traffic and that I was going to shift my attention back to my driving from then on. I really did feel like a prize asshole, especially since I haven't had a moving violation in over 25 years. I felt bad about my mistake and I think the cops could easily sense that.

The cops decided to play it cool with me and let me off with a warning. That was very nice of them, it saved me hundreds of dollars, and I'm a lot more careful and focused in my driving ever since I made that one, stupid mistake and got caught for it. When I got pulled over, I could have "exercised my rights" by not answering any of their questions, but I would not have been let off with only a warning if I had done so. Not only that, but much like you, I was clearly in the wrong, but I clearly had a better outcome than you.

Have fun in court. It's going to be a hoot if they play the dashboard cam video of you flipping off the cops. The judge is going to love that one and I'm sure he'll see that you realize the mistake you made and that you'll be more careful from now on.

#18 ·
We don't know if the officers were aware of this guy's attitude. I do think he might have had an attitude for getting in trouble before, recently. They look at your record well over ten years, even though only the last few years or so are supposed to apply. Good luck getting pulled over in your state for drunk driving, when you were pulled over for drunk driving ten years ago when your state driving record goes back only seven. First thing they will assume is guilty until proven innocent after looking you up. You might be the nicest and most respectful and polite driver, which will definitely help, however that won't help avoiding your fourth speeding ticket when you've had three. :eek: I'll go a step further, if he does have a bad driving record I'd still fight it but it will probably be a tough battle that a lawyer can't fix, unless like I've said on a technicality. :cool:

#20 ·
Ok I Googled around for fun and you can't be in a crosswalk. You can't park, pick up passengers, basically do anything in a crosswalk and yes a crosswalk can be unmarked. Not sure how to get around that one, the insurance issue should be easy. Dress down when you go to court, like you're just some poor, dum driver trying to make a living for your six kids. :cool:

#24 ·
Uh, I did read your post. If you had read mine more carefully you'd realize I was supporting you. I stated the same concept you just accused me of not perceiving... Good luck with the mess you're in.
Thanks. I was replying to the one that mentioned to "drive like a normal person" or so I thought. I dunno. I'm a little new here on this site.

#28 ·
Show your evidence to the judge.
Or
The assistant D.A.,who may throw things out before court.

If the D.A. decides there won't be a trial,there won't be.

#29 ·
I think in general your going to run into people who think Uber or Lyft drivers are a negative rather than a positive. Read enough on these forums to know some cities don't like Uber, and probably instruct their police to be aggressive to a Uber driver. As with any law enforcement encounter I have always sided on being respectful and offer up any information they want. If your doing any kind of business with your vehicle and yourself it's always important to be up on your legal stuff. Registration, insurance, and license. Safety too is another black mark just asking for a citation. Take it from me a 30 year driving in trucking, your vehicle as a business is going to be looked at more closely than anyone else's.

#34 ·
You made 3 mistakes, that I can see. The first was to allow passengers to pile in after running to your car without being fully pulled over (out of the flow of traffic, or at least putting on your blinkers when you stopped. Did your passengers run across the street and get in on the driver's side?)
The second was to give the officer an expired proof of insurance. The third was to give the officer a hard time. That in itself insures maximum enforcement of any violations he/she can think of.
If your insurance was indeed current, and you just gave the cop the wrong card, you can probably get that one tossed, which would automatically toss the 'Operating without insurance' one. The crosswalk one, you may have to eat, unless you can prove your case to the judge's satisfaction.
In the Chicago forum there is a story from a driver who received tickets for $4040.00 for failing to display the proper signage and documents while at the airport.
Be smart, people!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.