Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a blind guy and his black lab guide dog. A nice guy, we had a good convo. We were talking about his dog and I asked him if he’s ever had trouble with drivers because of the dog. He said all the time, like 1 in every 4 rides. Drivers either give a lame excuse or just drive off without saying anything to him.

Turns out he was one of the people behind a major lawsuit against Uber and Lyft that was settled awhile back. He’s one of the reasons we get all the service animal reminders and why drivers get deactivated so quickly when someone accuses them of not taking their service animal.

Honestly, with this person, you’d have to be heartless and a moron not to take him. He was obviously blind and the dog was obviously a guide dog. I wish the ride had been longer, I would have liked to talk to him about how some people claim their dog is a service dog when it obviously isn’t. It’s a tough issue, but people like him that have real disabilities and have a dog for assistance should never be refused a ride or any kind of service. Unfortunately, we are forced to take everyone’s word for it when they say the words ‘service animal’.

No easy answers, but if the rider is obviously blind or otherwise disabled, don’t drive off and leave them standing on the sidewalk. If you do, you’re a real a-hole

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha! This guy had a weirdly keen sense of where we were. We were on the downhill section of Gough going to the Civic Center and he asked if we were two blocks from our turn onto Grove and we were! He said he’s able to tell because of the hills and flat sections and also usually knows when he cross’s an intersection because of the different sounds!

·
Banned
9,183 Posts
Does the dog sit on the seat or floor?
Are they permitted to ride in pools?
I have an old Mexican blanket in the trunk, just waiting to be used for this purpose.
Now, what if it's a person in a wheelchair?
Are we supposed to or required to assist? Then we figure out how to fold chair and pop in trunk? Do they even fold up?

I'd be happy to pick up either, just curious about what I don't know.

Maybe I ought to carry dog treats in the glove box. Instant tip?

Reactions: Working and Driving

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the dog sit on the seat or floor?
Are they permitted to ride in pools?
I have an old Mexican blanket in the trunk, just waiting to be used for this purpose.
Now, what if it's a person in a wheelchair?
Are we supposed to or required to assist? Then we figure out how to fold chair and pop in trunk? Do they even fold up?

I'd be happy to pick up either, just curious about what I don't know.

Maybe I ought to carry dog treats in the glove box. Instant tip?
This dog, like most real service animals are behaved and very well trained. I got out to assist, but didn't need to. He opened the back door of the car, took off the handle thing from the dogs harness and the dog immediately climbed in and sat on the floor, the man then sat in the seat with the dog at his feet. Real Service dogs are trained to sit and remain at their owners feet like that.

Not positive about pool rides, but I think they can use them and we would have to accept them.

I've never had a rider with a wheel chair, but have had elderly and others with different types of walkers. I always get out and help with the walker, either in the back of the car or the seat next to them. I would say we wouldn't be required to physically assist someone into the car, especially from a wheel chair. but again, I don't know what the law is on this.

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Never touch a pax. Ever. If they need help find a passerby. We do not have to fold up a wheelchair. Again, find a friendly passer by. I do walkers because they are easy
. But wheelchairs can get broken.

I wonder if the guy is sick of that same conversation - just like we are with the same old questions. Just wanting to talk about good food instead.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Never touch a pax. Ever. If they need help find a passerby. We do not have to fold up a wheelchair. Again, find a friendly passer by. I do walkers because they are easy

I wonder if the guy is sick of that same conversation - just like we are with the same old questions. Just wanting to talk about good food instead.
This seems a bit stringent. If someone is in a wheelchair I always ask them if they need help without second guessing myself. Some of them say yes, some of them say no. I've TOUCHED THEM (gasp) by holding their hand while they've gotten into the back seat. And it turns out the more wheelchairs you fold up the less scary it becomes. Not sure why this is all such a big no-no. They're just people and usually alot kinder than the average pax.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
I picked up a blind guy and his black lab guide dog. A nice guy, we had a good convo. We were talking about his dog and I asked him if he's ever had trouble with drivers because of the dog. He said all the time, like 1 in every 4 rides. Drivers either give a lame excuse or just drive off without saying anything to him.

Turns out he was one of the people behind a major lawsuit against Uber and Lyft that was settled awhile back. He's one of the reasons we get all the service animal reminders and why drivers get deactivated so quickly when someone accuses them of not taking their service animal.

Honestly, with this person, you'd have to be heartless and a moron not to take him. He was obviously blind and the dog was obviously a guide dog. I wish the ride had been longer, I would have liked to talk to him about how some people claim their dog is a service dog when it obviously isn't. It's a tough issue, but people like him that have real disabilities and have a dog for assistance should never be refused a ride or any kind of service. Unfortunately, we are forced to take everyone's word for it when they say the words 'service animal'.

No easy answers, but if the rider is obviously blind or otherwise disabled, don't drive off and leave them standing on the sidewalk. If you do, you're a real a-hole
I admire your attitude to serve Mankind and man's best friend!
I wish Uber would include an automatic cleaning fee for instances, where drivers are obliged to admit service animals or even pets into the cars, but that's probably asking too much.
One of the nice things about driving select, is that very few riders ever bring pets or service animals. If Uber actually cared about the drivers, they would allocate a pet fund and offer light cleaning fees for getting our cars cleaned and the dog and/or cat hair/dander/fleas removed.
Do you carry a blanket or a car pet seat cover?

A few weeks ago, I refused a group of young asians, because one of them had a a good sized dog wrapped up in a blanket and holding him like a big baby, so that I wouldn't notice or if I did, I would not say no. Anyway, I asked them if it was a dog and since it was not a service dog, I had no choice but to refuse the ride.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
The Twilight Zone: To Serve Man [1962]

Opening narration
" Respectfully submitted for your perusal - a Kanamit. Height: a little over nine feet. Weight: in the neighborhood of three hundred and fifty pounds. Origin: unknown. Motives? Therein hangs the tale, for in just a moment, we're going to ask you to shake hands, figuratively, with a Christopher Columbus from another galaxy and another time. This is the Twilight Zone. "

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Just take all dogs, don’t chance it, don’t risk being deactivated, even if you think it’s just a pet.
The real problem is there needs to be a crack down on service dog fraud.
Even many legitimate service dogs are s fraud, people find ways to get their pets registered as service animals. This and even “emo dogs” are a great disservice to legitimately disabled people who depend on actual trained WORKING service dogs to get by.

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
This seems a bit stringent. If someone is in a wheelchair I always ask them if they need help without second guessing myself. Some of them say yes, some of them say no. I've TOUCHED THEM (gasp) by holding their hand while they've gotten into the back seat. And it turns out the more wheelchairs you fold up the less scary it becomes. Not sure why this is all such a big no-no. They're just people and usually alot kinder than the average pax.
It is all about the higher likelihood of serious damage if you happen to make a small mistake .
For example holding someone's hand may throw them off balance in a way you don't expect. Let them use the secure unmoving car for support. let them be independent.

Try it yourself. Ask someone to help you and you'll find they end up pushing you a lot without realizing it because they have to keep their own balance.

As one old lady said as I thought I was "helping" her - "don't handicap the handicapped".

·
Premium Member
11,881 Posts

Camry Hybrid. Trunk is too small to take a wheelchair because of the space taken up by the battery. Sorry, you'll need a different vehicle; try requesting again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts