Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know that Uber keeps advertising for new drivers so support their revolving-door-driver business model. I just noticed another way they bait people? (maybe this has already been discussed here but it's new to me)

When I log onto Uber (non-mobile Firefox browser) there is a delay between the original data loading on my computer and the final data? Nothing really out of the ordinary but…

When you log on, the upper right of your browser provides these options.
Rectangle Font Circle Pattern Brand

And then there is a few second delay before the final page is loaded.
Rectangle Font Circle Audio equipment Pattern

Interesting enough, the "Become a Driver" icon on the second load is in the exact same spot as the "Sign In" icon from the first load.

So when a rider visits the site and pauses a second to find the "Sign In" link, by the time they click it, it changes to "Become a Driver" and sends them to that page.

If you reload page, there is still a delay before the final data loads.
If you open another Uber tab when it's already in cache, the delay is still there.
This tells me the delay is deliberately written in the code. (I'm sure some tech guy on here can validate)

I know this is a thing with spam sites to get people to click crap, and I shouldn't be surprised but I guess it's just another testimony of who Uber actually is.

Does this happen to others or is it just me?

Reactions: Cableguynoe

·
Premium Member
11,432 Posts
I don't think the new uber regime is focused on new drivers as much as before imo.

All the advertising is about moving forward now. I rarely see a commercial about new drivers now, maybe on some website banners but nothing compared to what it used to be where there was an earn and chill commercial every 10 mins everywhere on every channel, radio etc

·
Premium Member
11,432 Posts
I dont see an issue with it on their own site and app, the ones that I have an issue is make $1500 a week kind of ads.

I dont care about the new driver, I care about the rider who has no plans on ever driving but assumes all drivers are making $1500 a week

·
Registered
95 Posts
I dont see an issue with it on their own site and app, the ones that I have an issue is make $1500 a week kind of ads.

I dont care about the new driver, I care about the rider who has no plans on ever driving but assumes all drivers are making $1500 a week
And therefore doesn't see the point in tipping drivers for the mimim fare rides he hails, since, in his mind drivers are "making bank."

·
Premium Member
11,432 Posts
A cab driver down there asked me once if was interested I think lol and when I asked how much out of curiosity i think he said 10,000 pesoes. Which was I think $5 or $6 at the time. And he was probably ripping me off lol

·
Premium Member
13,238 Posts
We all know that Uber keeps advertising for new drivers so support their revolving-door-driver business model. I just noticed another way they bait people? (maybe this has already been discussed here but it's new to me)

When I log onto Uber (non-mobile Firefox browser) there is a delay between the original data loading on my computer and the final data? Nothing really out of the ordinary but…

When you log on, the upper right of your browser provides these options.
View attachment 238727
And then there is a few second delay before the final page is loaded.
View attachment 238728
Interesting enough, the "Become a Driver" icon on the second load is in the exact same spot as the "Sign In" icon from the first load.

So when a rider visits the site and pauses a second to find the "Sign In" link, by the time they click it, it changes to "Become a Driver" and sends them to that page.

If you reload page, there is still a delay before the final data loads.
If you open another Uber tab when it's already in cache, the delay is still there.
This tells me the delay is deliberately written in the code. (I'm sure some tech guy on here can validate)

I know this is a thing with spam sites to get people to click crap, and I shouldn't be surprised but I guess it's just another testimony of who Uber actually is.

Does this happen to others or is it just me?
I think what you are seeing is a slight lag as the browser loads bits of code.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts