Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking for the past few days as I am seriously considering Uber. I have a few questions, but first let me share some background information.

I am very familiar with the grueling nature of the Taxi Industry. My dad was a medallion owner/operator for over 30 years, worked 5-7 days 12-15 hours shifts. He has now retired earlier than expected (at my request), at some point you can not do it any more. The medallion is in the broker depreciating day by day due to industry innovation.

I have a few degrees racked up and am currently working on a project which requires an extremely flexible schedule. I also have a part-time job. I NEED extra money in the coming year to pay for various things and help support the family. After which, I plan to return to the work full time. Based on my research, buying a car for Uber is out of the question. I have my Dad's Toyota Highlander (2012 used as a yellow up until a few months ago) converting it is also out of the question because I can't fathom paying for insurance and upkeep. My private car is also out of the question.

I'm considering getting my TLC license and renting for 6-12 months. To get some extra cash. I'm willing to put in 50-60 hours. How much can I reasonably expect to earn.

Also, because I am a woman I don't feel safe renting a yellow and picking up hails (plus the shift rate seems high considering that ride-sharing is taking over).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I've been lurking for the past few days as I am seriously considering Uber. I have a few questions, but first let me share some background information.

I am very familiar with the grueling nature of the Taxi Industry. My dad was a medallion owner/operator for over 30 years, worked 5-7 days 12-15 hours shifts. He has now retired earlier than expected (at my request), at some point you can not do it any more. The medallion is in the broker depreciating day by day due to industry innovation.

I have a few degrees racked up and am currently working on a project which requires an extremely flexible schedule. I also have a part-time job. I NEED extra money in the coming year to pay for various things and help support the family. After which, I plan to return to the work full time. Based on my research, buying a car for Uber is out of the question. I have my Dad's Toyota Highlander (2012 used as a yellow up until a few months ago) converting it is also out of the question because I can't fathom paying for insurance and upkeep. My private car is also out of the question.

I'm considering getting my TLC license and renting for 6-12 months. To get some extra cash. I'm willing to put in 50-60 hours. How much can I reasonably expect to earn.

Also, because I am a woman I don't feel safe renting a yellow and picking up hails (plus the shift rate seems high considering that ride-sharing is taking over).

Given your situation perhaps there is a short term lease verses a rental that you could get. I really am not sure what the laws are in your state regarding leases.

Just an idea I'm not sure if it even exists good luck to you

RC

·
Registered
1,496 Posts

I'm sorry but your story sounds so full of shit I don't think it deserves an answer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts