Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got a Delivery driver Auto parts 1099 job. It pays 11$/hr and 20$ gas reimbursement a day. I'm gonna be driving an average of 150~200 miles. I use my own car of course. It is a full time job with overtime opportunity

Do you think it is worth it or they are just scam and trying to save money by making thier drivers independent contractors. ? I actually tried it and it is very easy job.

I may do uber as a part time.

·
Banned
6,928 Posts
So I got a Delivery driver Auto parts 1099 job. It pays 11$/hr and 20$ gas reimbursement a day. I'm gonna be driving an average of 150~200 miles. I use my own car of course.

Do you think it is worth it or they are just scam and trying to save money by making thier drivers independent contractors. ? I actually tried it and it is very easy job.

I may do uber as a part time.
$11 per hour as an IC is below minimum wage since you are on your own with payroll taxes,benefits, etc. If you are willing to drive 200 miles per day in your own vehicle, you might as well do Uber full time and get platinum status. This will at least double the $11 per hour you are being offered.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$11 per hour as an IC is below minimum wage since you are on your own with payroll taxes,benefits, etc. If you are willing to drive 200 miles per day in your own vehicle, you might as well do Uber full time and get platinum status. This will at least double the $11 per hour you are being offered.
But the problem is I don't make 88$ a day in Uber, rarely happens specially for some one like me who lives in Inland Empire (rancho cucamonga). So it would take me 40 miles to get to the busy areas like LA core or OC

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
The critical question here is what type of car will you be using?

How far will $20.00 get you in your car?

My operating costs for 200 miles in my Prius at $0.29 per mile is $58.00. That includes everything from gas costs to depreciation to maintenance.

After the daily gas stipend I'd still have to offset $38 in costs. So that would take 3 hours 45 minutes at $11 per hour.

Assuming an 8 hour day that would mean my daily pay would be the remaining 4.25 hours at $11 an hour or $46.75.

I'm in the IE too so I get what you're saying about our limited earning potential out here. Sometimes you have to try to work your way to a busier market or bite the bullet and dead mile it to LA/OC.

·
Banned
6,928 Posts
But the problem is I don't make 88$ a day in Uber, rarely happens specially for some one like me who lives in Inland Empire (rancho cucamonga). So it would take me 40 miles to get to the busy areas like LA core or OC
We have people on this forum who commute and still take home a good amount every week . You can maybe do the 75 trips in 3-4 days. If you're willing to work full-time do Uber until the incentives are gone. The other job offer is a complete rip off with no upside. If you put in 40-50 hours in the core, your commute will be paid for. Put on the destination filter and you have about $50 dollars of tax deductions to begin with.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The critical question here is what type of car will you be using?

How far will $20.00 get you in your car?

My operating costs for 200 miles in my Prius at $0.29 per mile is $58.00. That includes everything from gas costs to depreciation to maintenance.

After the daily gas stipend I'd still have to offset $38 in costs. So that would take 3 hours 45 minutes at $11 per hour.

Assuming an 8 hour day that would mean my daily pay would be the remaining 4.25 hours at $11 an hour or $46.75.

I'm in the IE too so I get what you're saying about our limited earning potential out here. Sometimes you have to try to work your way to a busier market or bite the bullet and dead mile it to LA/OC.
What if i do both jobs. Delivery full time and uber part time?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So now if i make 88$ a day and i track my milage, i drive around 150-200 miles. What about the standard milage deductions? So lets say every 10miles, i get 5$ deduction. That means i get 100$ deductions for 200 miles. This good or i am losing business or what do you call it?

·
Banned
6,928 Posts
What if i do both jobs. Delivery full time and uber part time?
You can probably do gold status in 2-3 long days and keep the low paying delivery job.

So now if i make 88$ a day and i track my milage, i drive around 150-200 miles. What about the standard milage deductions? So lets say every 10miles, i get 5$ deduction. That means i get 100$ deductions for 200 miles. This good or i am losing business or what do you call it?
The deduction is a loophole to reduce your tax liability. You can end up making $7 per hour or $50 per hour and still pay no taxes if you have enough miles. Your commute to the core is tax deductible. If you drive 100 miles round trip, you will essentially get reimbursed for most of your commute expenses since you will make enough and save on taxes You have to be profitable on your schedule C at least once or twice in five years I believe. You can claim actual expenses once or twice to not lose status.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can probably do gold status in 2-3 long days and keep the low paying delivery job.

The deduction is a loophole to reduce your tax liability. You can end up making $7 per hour or $50 per hour and still pay no taxes if you have enough miles. Your commute to the core is tax deductible. If you drive 100 miles round trip, you will essentially get reimbursed for most of your commute expenses since you will make enough and save on taxes You have to be profitable on your schedule C at least once or twice in five years I believe. You can claim actual expenses once or twice to not lose status.
Oh yea I remembered something here about communting to the core. Do i have to be online the whole drive to LA so that my miles can be deductible? Or i can just turn off the app and still keep tracking milage and they will consider this?

·
Banned
6,928 Posts
Oh yea I remembered something here about communting to the core. Do i have to be online the whole drive to LA so that my miles can be deductible? Or i can just turn off the app and still keep tracking milage and they will consider this?
Yes, having the app on qualifies as searching for fares and makes it tax deductible. Keep track of your mileage as soon as you turn on the app and leave your house. You might also get a trip to downtown or lax.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, having the app on qualifies as searching for fares and makes it tax deductible. Keep track of your mileage as soon as you turn on the app and leave your house. You might also get a trip to downtown or lax.
Ok last question. so for the delivery, i track my milage starting from home to work, and all the trips in between, then from work to home. I mean the whole 8 hours period should be tracked right?

·
Banned
6,928 Posts
Ok last question. so for the delivery, i track my milage starting from home to work, and all the trips in between, then from work to home. I mean the whole 8 hours period should be tracked right?
Anytime you ever use your vehicle for business, track your mileage. There are plenty of apps that make it easy.

seems like everyone is recommending doing Uber as a full time and it will be enough. But the majority in this forum are people complaining about Uber and the money they are making.
Take a survey of everyone who does at least 75 rides platinum and you will get your answer.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Though the deductions, be they actual or standard, allow you to keep more, or even all, of your earning these deductions are there to cover actual costs of doing business in a vehicle. The costs of gas, oil changes, new tires, car washes are all real out of pocket expenses.

Use one of the online calculators to figure out your per-mile operating costs for your vehicle. Go in to this knowing how much you'll be actually be making. The difference between the standard per-mile deduction and your actual per-mile operating costs is a real important number to know.

·
Banned
6,928 Posts
Though the deductions, be they actual or standard, allow you to keep more, or even all, of your earning these deductions are there to cover actual costs of doing business in a vehicle. The costs of gas, oil changes, new tires, car washes are all real out of pocket expenses.

Use one of the online calculators to figure out your per-mile operating costs for your vehicle. Go in to this knowing how much you'll be actually be making. The difference between the standard per-mile deduction and your actual per-mile operating costs is a real important number to know.
That's why it's important to keep the operating costs low to maximize the deduction. A difference of 30 cents between actual and standard will earn you about 8 cents a mile extra. If you do 50,000 miles, that can be an additional $4,000 per year off your tax bill.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts